How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Re: How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I'd be upfront about it and address the elephant in the room--with tact, of course. It was a significant occurrence; no sense pretending otherwise, but it doesn't need to define the person or their relationships. I'd simply acknowledge it happened, let them know I'm here for them, and proceed with the relationship, mostly as it had always been, but with enough compassion to let them know their pain isn't overlooked and I'm always there for discussion.
Brian Otwane Obunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-otwane-obunga.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Brian Otwane Obunga »

By teaching him biblically how important to keep life is reminding him of people who adore and depend on him.
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

First and foremost, it's important to listen without judgment. People who have attempted suicide often feel a lot of shame and guilt, so it's crucial to create a safe and supportive environment where they can share their thoughts and feelings. Avoid asking why they did it or telling them that they shouldn't have attempted suicide. Instead, focus on expressing your concern and care for them, and offer practical help if needed. You can also suggest that they seek professional help from a therapist or counselor. Lastly, offer to check in on them regularly and remind them that they're not alone in their struggle.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Savant Chanelle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savant-chanelle.html
Latest Review: Ten Commandments for Church Reform by John Wijngaards

Post by Savant Chanelle »

I have never been around someone who attempted to commit suicide. But if I were to give support to one, I would make myself readily available to them. I would always get them food and also give them words of encouragement.
Savant Chanelle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

I have never been around someone who attempted to commit suicide. But if I were to give support to one, I would make myself readily available to them. I would always get them food and also give them words of encouragement.
Savant Chanelle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Savant Chanelle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

It's challenging for me to respond to this topic because I believe there are several possible solutions. My preference is to have a conversation with the person and let them know that they can rely on others.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”