How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A Toast to Travel by Fraser Beath McEwing

Re: How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

Post by Nancy004 »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 17:21 When I am a friend of someone who attempted suicide, I'll sit beside my friend and empathetically listen. Motivate my friend to go on in life because life is beautiful and worth celebrating. I will support my disturbed friend emotionally.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on providing comfort and support to someone who has attempted suicide. Your approach of being a compassionate listener, offering encouragement, and providing emotional support is indeed valuable. It's crucial to let them know that they are not alone and that you are there for them.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Kigen Valarie wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 06:01 I'm also an attempted suicide survivor and to tell the truth, I don't know what I expect from people. It's just like Addison who doesn't understand why she doesn't want to talk to Booker. I, however, think groups like the Hope Squad could help.
Thank you for sharing your perspective and personal experience as an attempted suicide survivor. I appreciate your openness and honesty. It's understandable that you may not have a clear expectation of what support you need from others, as everyone's journey is unique and complex. Groups like the Hope Squad can indeed provide valuable support and understanding in such situations. I commend your bravery in discussing this topic and encourage you to continue seeking the help and resources that will aid in your healing and well-being. Wishing you strength, resilience, and a brighter future ahead.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

britcott30 wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 11:07 It really depends on how I know the person. If this person only needs me to listen, then I will always spare time for her/him only to listen. If this person needs advice, then I will always try to be in her/his shoes to feel how this person feels and try to search for the best advice for them.
I appreciate your understanding that different individuals may require different forms of support, whether it's lending a listening ear or offering advice from a place of empathy. It's important to approach each situation with sensitivity and a willingness to meet the person's specific needs. Your willingness to be there for others and provide assistance is truly admirable. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this topic.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Marissa Maniaci wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 01:03 I think this is a really complicated question because you don't want to just pretend the attempt never happened because that might make the person feel even more isolated and like no one would care, but you also don't want to make them feel smothered and untrusted or force them to deal with your emotions on top of their own unstable ones. I actually think a lot of the characters in the book handled it very well. Just by approaching Addison and letting her know they were there for her and would continue to be there for her when she was ready without pushing her to open up immediately seemed to be very effective in helping her not feel so alone.
You've brought up an important point about the complexity of providing comfort and support to someone who has attempted suicide. It's a delicate situation where we want to show that we care and are there for them, but at the same time, we don't want to make them feel overwhelmed or pressured. I agree with you that giving them space and letting them know we're there when they're ready to talk can be effective. It's about finding that balance between being supportive and respecting their boundaries. Your input adds valuable insights to the discussion, so thank you for sharing your perspective.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Carly-Rose wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 12:21 I came across some advice that really resonated with me when I was at a really low point. That was to do just one thing I thought I could never do before. Maybe it's finally writing down all those floating ideas in your head, maybe for you it's taking a walk or waking up early to see the sun rise, or going to a new store, colouring in a page, talking to someone about what hurts you. Start something and finish it. For me, I finished my short story. It was grounding and helped improve my level of self-efficacy. This brought me comfort and in sharing this, I hope it will comfort others.
It's powerful to hear how taking small steps and accomplishing something meaningful helped you find comfort and improve your sense of self-efficacy. Sharing your experience and offering support to others is a beautiful way to make a positive impact. Your words may inspire someone else who is going through a tough time. Remember, together we can create a supportive environment where everyone feels understood and cared for. Keep spreading your kindness and understanding. Thanks again for sharing!
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Sonia_Gonzalez wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 19:50 This is a difficult question to answer, and I am fortunate to never had to experience it. I think the only support we can give someone who attempted suicide is space and respect. We cannot force someone to talk about what they did or why they did it; we cannot force them to spend time with us and act like nothing happened (as Addison and Booker showed) but when they are ready, we should be there.
It's definitely a difficult situation to navigate, and your perspective of giving them space and respect makes a lot of sense. Every person is different, and healing takes time. Being there for them when they're ready to open up or seek support is important, without pushing them to talk or pretending nothing happened. Your insights contribute to a compassionate approach in helping those who have experienced such challenges. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Inked_Rebel_Reads wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 07:34 I am glad I wasn't the only one that felt like Addison did not receive the appropriate support from her family and friends.

As a suicide attempt survivor myself, I found that having people treat me like they normally do would make me feel back to "normal" faster.
Showing discomfort or sadness around a survivor can make them feel shame and guilt and cause them to push friends and family further away.

But different things work for different people. I think the most important thing is to show them validation and reiterate that you're there for them no matter what mood they're in.
Hey there! I appreciate your perspective on the importance of treating individuals who have survived such a difficult experience with normalcy and understanding. It's true that showing discomfort or sadness around them can unintentionally reinforce negative emotions. Each person's journey is unique, and it's crucial to adapt our approach based on their needs. Your insights are valuable and can help others navigate similar situations. Wishing you all the best, and I'm glad you're here to share your story. Take care!
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Shanesha Sammerson wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 10:35 Here are some steps you can take:

1. Listen non-judgmentally: Allow the person to express their feelings without interruption or criticism. Show empathy and understanding by validating their emotions and experiences. Avoid offering immediate solutions or dismissing their feelings.

2. Offer support and reassurance: Let the person know that you are there for them and that they are not alone. Assure them that seeking help is a sign of strength, and emphasize that professional help is available and can be beneficial.

3. Encourage professional help: Encourage the person to seek professional assistance from mental health experts, such as therapists or counselors. Offer to help them find suitable resources or accompany them to appointments if they're comfortable with it.

4. Educate yourself: Take the initiative to learn more about mental health, depression, and suicide prevention. This will help you better understand what your loved one is going through and enable you to provide informed support.

5. Stay connected: Maintain regular contact with the person and continue to check in on them, even after the immediate crisis has passed. Offer your support, and encourage them to engage in activities they enjoy or that promote their well-being.

Addressing and supporting individuals in similar circumstances within educational institutions and workplaces requires a comprehensive and compassionate approach. Here are some effective strategies:

1. Mental health education: Incorporate mental health education and awareness programs into the curriculum or workplace training. Promote understanding of mental health issues, warning signs, and available resources for seeking help.

2. Create a supportive environment: Foster a culture that values and prioritizes mental health and well-being. This can be achieved by promoting open discussions, reducing stigma, and providing access to mental health resources and support services.

3. Establish support systems: Develop mechanisms for individuals to seek help and support, such as counseling services, helplines, or employee assistance programs. Ensure that these resources are well-publicized and easily accessible to all members of the institution or workplace.

4. Train staff and faculty: Provide training to staff, faculty, and supervisors on recognizing signs of distress, appropriate responses, and referral pathways. This will help create a supportive network and ensure individuals in need are connected to the necessary resources.

5. Implement policies and procedures: Establish clear policies and procedures for responding to mental health crises, including suicide attempts. Ensure confidentiality, sensitivity, and a coordinated approach among relevant stakeholders.

6. Foster a flexible and accommodating environment: Recognize that individuals experiencing mental health challenges may require accommodations or adjustments in their academic or work responsibilities. Be flexible and understanding in providing support, such as extended deadlines or workplace adjustments, where appropriate.
Hey, thanks for your input! I really appreciate the steps you shared for offering comfort and support to someone who has attempted suicide. It's important to listen without judgment, assure them they're not alone, and encourage professional help. Your suggestions for addressing mental health in educational institutions and workplaces are spot on too. Creating a supportive environment, providing resources, and training staff are all key aspects. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and contributing to the conversation!
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Kenneth Onyenwe wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 02:40 I would suggest not blame them for their action, show them love by being around them. Try to find out what they are struggling with and then help them to emotional grow stronger through trainings by a professional.
It's so important not to blame someone who's gone through such a difficult experience. Showing them love and support by being there for them is crucial. And you're absolutely right, understanding their struggles and encouraging them to seek professional help can make a huge difference. Training and guidance from professionals can help them build emotional strength and resilience. Your input is valuable, and I'm grateful for your contribution to the conversation.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

politicalkawiya wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 08:19 Supporting a friend like Addison starts by being a reliable and non-judgmental presence in her life. Make time to listen, really listen, to her thoughts and experiences, being patient as she navigates her unique path to recovery. Gently encourage her to engage with professional mental health resources, even offering to accompany her if she's comfortable with that. Schools and workplaces can play a key role in such circumstances, too. They should strive to create environments where mental health discussions are encouraged and support services are readily accessible. Accommodating the needs of individuals in their recovery process, like offering flexible schedules or workload adjustments, can also make a significant difference. Remember, the aim is to create a supportive atmosphere where Addison feels understood, cared for, and less isolated.
Your emphasis on being there for them as a reliable and non-judgmental presence truly resonates with me. Listening to their thoughts and experiences, encouraging professional help, and creating a supportive environment are all key ways to show care and understanding. It's important for schools and workplaces to play a role too, by promoting mental health discussions and providing necessary accommodations. Your input is valuable, and I'm grateful for your contribution to the conversation!
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Selena R Romero wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 08:17 I've never been in such a situation before and I think I may not really know how to deal with the situation. I also felt those close to Addison didn't know how best to handle it but I think offering your genuine presence and care would go a long way. I am reading opinions in case of an instance in the future.
Offering genuine presence and care is a good starting point, showing the person that you're there for them without judgment. It's also important to educate ourselves about mental health and seek professional guidance if needed. Remember, being there to listen and support them can make a significant difference. Your openness to learning and seeking opinions shows your compassion. Thanks again for your response.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Sarah Sonbol wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 14:08 I have never met someone who attempted suicide, so I'm not sure what the best approach could be. However, I think that those who have a friend or family member who attempted suicide should consult a psychiatrist or a psychotherapist as they have more experience dealing with similar cases.
You're absolutely right that consulting a psychiatrist or psychotherapist is a wise decision when dealing with someone who has attempted suicide. They're trained professionals who can provide the necessary support and guidance in such delicate situations. Their expertise can help both the individual and their loved ones understand and address the underlying issues that led to the attempt. It's essential to seek their assistance to ensure the person's well-being and provide the best possible care. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and emphasizing the importance of professional help in these circumstances.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Chinonso Okoye wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 01:45 This is a really tough question because some people are so good at faking smiles and hiding their sorrows. But the best thing I could probably do is look out for signs, no matter how little. After identifying any of the signs, I would say all the words of affirmation I could think of; at the end of the day, it's a complete loss of hope and faith that leads one into despair and brings suicidal thoughts.
Your approach of keeping an eye out for any small indications and offering words of affirmation is a thoughtful way to provide comfort. It's all about showing them that they matter and that there's hope, even when they may feel like there isn't. Your insights are appreciated, and I'm grateful for your response.
Fred Newman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-newman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fred Newman »

I believe alot of attention and love should be shown to the person but we should limit our presence and know when to give such a person a private time so it won't be like stalking.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 1669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 102%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I have tried when I was younger, and it took facing the fact that what I was going to do would hurt others more than it would alleviate my problems. I was hospitalized and the therapy provided was directed at my specific issues. 9 weeks intensive inpatient followed by 18 months of outpatient therapy helped me. Supporting the person and be willing to not gossip their personal issues around is important. There are still many of my family and friends that were unaware of what I went through to this day.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”