Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Gabrielle Norconk
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-norconk.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

Post by Gabrielle Norconk »

God this book made me cry. I really loved the part when a character made an effort to connect with another character and they felt that they said something really stupid but in reality the effort really positively affected the receiver. They did a great job of talking about suicide, in a really realistic way of a sudden moment of everything being too much, when is common to happen with trauma like hers and PTSD, without romanticizing it. I would literally recommend this book to every preteen and teenager. It is such an important conversation to have, and it shows how everyone has something that they struggle with and no one's life is perfect.
Alicia Tickler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-tickler.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Alicia Tickler »

I finally got to reading this book and am so happy that I did! I was happily surprised to discover the multiple perspectives. I love how the author was able to weave their experiences together together. I think it would be a great read for young adults. Cliché as it sounds, they exist for a reason. Everyone is going through things they don’t talk about and you never know when a small act, or a kind word can make a big different.
Alicia Tickler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-tickler.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Alicia Tickler »

Gabrielle Norconk wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 18:58 God this book made me cry. I really loved the part when a character made an effort to connect with another character and they felt that they said something really stupid but in reality the effort really positively affected the receiver. They did a great job of talking about suicide, in a really realistic way of a sudden moment of everything being too much, when is common to happen with trauma like hers and PTSD, without romanticizing it. I would literally recommend this book to every preteen and teenager. It is such an important conversation to have, and it shows how everyone has something that they struggle with and no one's life is perfect.

I couldn’t agree more! This book did a fantastic job in making the characters’ issues relatable while covering difficult topics that many young people are hiding every day.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I recently finished reading this book which I believe helped me reflect on my mental state. It reminded me that life is worth living, and we should all aim to be kinder to one another. You never know what the other person might be going through, so it's important to treat everyone with compassion.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3065
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I enjoyed reading this fascinating book, as I found it not only thought provoking but also packed with valuable lessons. One of the most vivid imagery I still remember was one struggling to stay afloat while there are others watching on the shore.
I gave the book a perfect rating, 5 out of 5 stars.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

The book was open and wasn't that hard to comprehend. It's subject matter was very sensitive and I was glad to find that the author handled it with such delicacies. The length of the book left a sweet taste in my mouth. I would rate it four out of five stars and think I would recommend it to my closest friends.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

I learned a lot about parent-children relationship from reading this book. I had an insight of the consequences of poor communication between family folks. It was enjoyable read, I had a great time.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

I appreciate the book's focus on teenage suicide, and I'm particularly fond of the cover page and the author's writing style, which uses straightforward language. As for dislikes, there's nothing I can think of that stands out
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

I think this book deserves a 5 out of 5 star or even more if it existed because it was very thoughtful to me as i was reading i learnt alot of positives mindsets that has changed my mind.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

I will rate it 5 out of 5 stars because it is a story of love, family, and redemption, with a healthy dose of mystery and suspense thrown in for good measure. It also has a fast-paced plot and its unique blend of genres. I recommend it to readers of all genres.
Brian Otwane Obunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-otwane-obunga.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Brian Otwane Obunga »

This deserves a 5 star as it thought me alot and the pacing and the proofreading was all excellent.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

This book deserves ba higher rating as it alot of moral lessons to be thought

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”