Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Screwtape Letters
Bookshelf Size: 612
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Thank you for your kind words. It's deeply appreciated.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Timothy Rucinski wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 07:03 I loved this book. Here is my complete review, which was rejected, because apparently, it had too many grammatical errors.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************
If, on a summer's day, you would ask me to spend a few hours reading a book about mental illness and teenage suicide, I would most likely tell you to pound sand. And yet, I read Swimming in a Sea of Stars, a novel swirling with mental challenges and physical ailments, swished around with quite a bit of teenage angst, and came out smiling as I read the final page.

Julie Wright’s Swimming in a Sea of Stars is a remarkable novel for young adults, although older folks will also enjoy it. The story takes place over a single winter’s day and focuses on Addison Thoreau as she returns to school following an unsuccessful suicide attempt. We follow Addison as she moves from the seclusion of her home to the raucous halls of high school, fearful of what her schoolmates will think of her. She refers to herself as the girl who tried to kill herself; she wonders if everyone else will see her in the same light.

Ms. Wright has structured the book marvelously, beginning each chapter with an entry from Addison’s journal, outlining her fears and misgivings. But Addison only hints at why she tried to take her own life, at least at first. Addison, incidentally, isn’t the only character in the book facing horrifying life situations, although the trials of her classmates are not commonly known in the halls of the school. Her best male friend, Booker Williams, is fearful he is the reason for Allison’s attempt to kill herself, simultaneously struggling with the knowledge that his cousin and best friend, Seb, is dying from aggressive cancer. Damion Archer, the local social media celebrity, appears to be enjoying fame and financial success but is plagued by demons in his personal life. Standoffish Avery Winters already has difficulty making friends, which is exacerbated when her brother is arrested for peddling narcotics. And Celia Martin struggles with daily mental and physical abuse afflicted at home, courtesy of her alcoholic mother and her mother’s sadistic boyfriend.

The author has created these wonderful characters with unique personalities to complement their distinctive struggles. She has an uncanny knack for getting into the head of the modern teenager; her writing beautifully reflects their fears, hopes, and dreams, rounding them out as complex individuals. Even against the heavy themes of the book, one feels good to be in the company of these youngsters, experiencing their frustrations and reveling in their achievements. The author has a keen ear for teenage dialogue, speech patterns, fashion, and especially, the pervasion of social media.

Swimming in a Seas of Stars digs deeply into the terrors of mental illness. Reading Allison's journal entries lets us feel what she feels. However, Ms. Wright tackles other heady subjects just as effectively. She casts serious light on the ills of physical abuse, chronic depression, debilitating physical illness such as cancer and early onset Alzheimer's, and cyberbullying. Some of this is tough to read, but in the end, Ms. Wright projects a vision of hope in overcoming adversity, primarily through her characters’ insights into truth and friendship.

Ms. Wright does something in this book that is distinctive in today's portrayal of modern teenagers. She uses no profanity whatsoever. It's refreshing. Instead, she uses a euphemism of "jackbag” to indicate an unsavory individual rather than tossing in an occasional expletive. The book is also impeccably edited; I couldn't find a single typo or error, making this an even more pleasure to read. Most notably, the characters are diverse in their ethnic makeup, but each intermingles without any reference to one's color or social background. In Ms. Wright's world, this stuff doesn't matter, and it's uplifting.

No, I don't typically read these types of books. So, if you are like me, you probably wouldn't either. But take my word for it. If you choose to read Swimming in a Sea of Stars, you will not be disappointed and will find yourself a better person, even if just a bit. If anything, this book provides an exceptional educative deep dive into the ills troubling today's youth. As a man in my mid-sixties, Ms. Wright has given me a much better appreciation of the terrors and traumas facing our youth in a volatile world revolving on an axis of social media.

I am pleased to award Swimming in a Sea of Stars 5 out of 5 stars. Ms. Wright's terrific book should be read by anyone interested in the trials and tribulations of young adults but will be enjoyed by those who like human interest stories. There is nothing about it that I disliked. It's about as perfect a novel as one can read.
I love your review and am sorry it was rejected. Perhaps you are like me and some others who had our reviews rejected because we reported no profanity. Evidently, the word 'crap' was in there. Thanks for sharing your review here.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

The book tackled a very sensitive topic. The author really showed that small gestures can make great difference. I rate it full five stars. When I read it, I didn't know what to expect. Bit I glad I did because almost everything about it was great.
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Diana Lowery wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 12:27
Timothy Rucinski wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 07:03 I loved this book. Here is my complete review, which was rejected, because apparently, it had too many grammatical errors.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************
If, on a summer's day, you would ask me to spend a few hours reading a book about mental illness and teenage suicide, I would most likely tell you to pound sand. And yet, I read Swimming in a Sea of Stars, a novel swirling with mental challenges and physical ailments, swished around with quite a bit of teenage angst, and came out smiling as I read the final page.

Julie Wright’s Swimming in a Sea of Stars is a remarkable novel for young adults, although older folks will also enjoy it. The story takes place over a single winter’s day and focuses on Addison Thoreau as she returns to school following an unsuccessful suicide attempt. We follow Addison as she moves from the seclusion of her home to the raucous halls of high school, fearful of what her schoolmates will think of her. She refers to herself as the girl who tried to kill herself; she wonders if everyone else will see her in the same light.

Ms. Wright has structured the book marvelously, beginning each chapter with an entry from Addison’s journal, outlining her fears and misgivings. But Addison only hints at why she tried to take her own life, at least at first. Addison, incidentally, isn’t the only character in the book facing horrifying life situations, although the trials of her classmates are not commonly known in the halls of the school. Her best male friend, Booker Williams, is fearful he is the reason for Allison’s attempt to kill herself, simultaneously struggling with the knowledge that his cousin and best friend, Seb, is dying from aggressive cancer. Damion Archer, the local social media celebrity, appears to be enjoying fame and financial success but is plagued by demons in his personal life. Standoffish Avery Winters already has difficulty making friends, which is exacerbated when her brother is arrested for peddling narcotics. And Celia Martin struggles with daily mental and physical abuse afflicted at home, courtesy of her alcoholic mother and her mother’s sadistic boyfriend.

The author has created these wonderful characters with unique personalities to complement their distinctive struggles. She has an uncanny knack for getting into the head of the modern teenager; her writing beautifully reflects their fears, hopes, and dreams, rounding them out as complex individuals. Even against the heavy themes of the book, one feels good to be in the company of these youngsters, experiencing their frustrations and reveling in their achievements. The author has a keen ear for teenage dialogue, speech patterns, fashion, and especially, the pervasion of social media.

Swimming in a Seas of Stars digs deeply into the terrors of mental illness. Reading Allison's journal entries lets us feel what she feels. However, Ms. Wright tackles other heady subjects just as effectively. She casts serious light on the ills of physical abuse, chronic depression, debilitating physical illness such as cancer and early onset Alzheimer's, and cyberbullying. Some of this is tough to read, but in the end, Ms. Wright projects a vision of hope in overcoming adversity, primarily through her characters’ insights into truth and friendship.

Ms. Wright does something in this book that is distinctive in today's portrayal of modern teenagers. She uses no profanity whatsoever. It's refreshing. Instead, she uses a euphemism of "jackbag” to indicate an unsavory individual rather than tossing in an occasional expletive. The book is also impeccably edited; I couldn't find a single typo or error, making this an even more pleasure to read. Most notably, the characters are diverse in their ethnic makeup, but each intermingles without any reference to one's color or social background. In Ms. Wright's world, this stuff doesn't matter, and it's uplifting.

No, I don't typically read these types of books. So, if you are like me, you probably wouldn't either. But take my word for it. If you choose to read Swimming in a Sea of Stars, you will not be disappointed and will find yourself a better person, even if just a bit. If anything, this book provides an exceptional educative deep dive into the ills troubling today's youth. As a man in my mid-sixties, Ms. Wright has given me a much better appreciation of the terrors and traumas facing our youth in a volatile world revolving on an axis of social media.

I am pleased to award Swimming in a Sea of Stars 5 out of 5 stars. Ms. Wright's terrific book should be read by anyone interested in the trials and tribulations of young adults but will be enjoyed by those who like human interest stories. There is nothing about it that I disliked. It's about as perfect a novel as one can read.
I love your review and am sorry it was rejected. Perhaps you are like me and some others who had our reviews rejected because we reported no profanity. Evidently, the word 'crap' was in there. Thanks for sharing your review here.
I couldn't agree more. This is a fantastic review and totally says what I wanted to say but does it so much better! I was delighted to read that it has now been accepted. I think I got so caught up in the story I forgot to check for typos and profanity. Definitely the sign of a great read.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Out of the Uniform, back into civilian life
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

In my opinion, the events described in this book are appropriate for today's teenage readers. It serves as both a manual for overcoming despair and a book of hope. The writing was really transparent.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I absolutely loved this one. Although the main character was Addison and we look at how she is dealing with her suicide attempt and what drove her to it, the other characters are all suffering from their own traumas. The author delicately works through them all, showing how one small act can be a huge trigger for good (or bad) in someone’s life. I really enjoyed how they were all there for each other in the end.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I thought the book was amazing. The cover and the title are both stunning. I often found myself struggling to read it a bit just because some of the subjects were hard for me personally, but I really loved this book as a whole.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I found it to be a great book for such a dark subject. I wish more people would understand the signs of someone struggling inside.The title and cover were fitting.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

I love that the book follows different characters and we get good insight to multiple students.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Cathy Burgin
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

This book is extremely engaging. I started it one evening and read until I feel asleep and then got up the next morning and finished it. The ways the author shows how unrelated characters can connect and have a long lasting impact on others is intriguing. All the changes and improvements to their lives would have been impossible without Addison.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Melisa Jane wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 02:57 This is a discussion topic for the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
The chosen book for the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion, Swimming in a Sea of Stars authored by Julie Wright, elicits a comprehensive and imaginative experience by seamlessly intertwining elements of science fiction with romance. The author's writing style is both vivid and enthralling, enabling readers to effortlessly immerse themselves in the intricately crafted world. The narrative intricately weaves together different genres, fusing the realms of space exploration and heartfelt romance to create a multifaceted and engrossing storyline. The cover art and the title harmoniously encapsulate the book's essence, invoking a sense of curiosity and awe for the uncharted. Personally, the aspect that stands out the most is the book's skill in transporting readers to a futuristic setting while keeping an unwavering focus on the emotional resonance between the characters. Nevertheless, sporadic instances of uneven pacing and hurried plot developments are evident. The book's paramount takeaway revolves around the significance of human bonds and resilience when confronted with challenges, even against the backdrop of the cosmos. Despite its minor imperfections, my wholehearted recommendation for Swimming in a Sea of Stars remains steadfast. The novel's amalgamation of genres, well-crafted prose, and poignant themes collectively create a compelling and contemplative reading experience that is sure to captivate a diverse audience.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I applaud the author for tackling the issues in this book. They are relevant for all ages, but often, the first time a person is in a position to address events such as abuse, sickness, and death adequately is in adolescence. Sometimes the story felt like drinking from a firehose, with all the characters and everything happening in one day, but I get why the author chose that format. It appeared professionally edited, and once Addison entertained thoughts about going to Booker’s head-shaving party, I knew I had to finish the book that night—my evening household chores would have to wait. I rate Swimming in a Sea of Stars 5 out of 5 stars.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I just finished reading this book, and I loved it! I felt that it portrayed the current situation of our high school kids and social media. It is a real pandemic of suicide amongst our teenagers, and a lot of it has to do with them being on social media platforms. I think the part of the book that I liked the most was Celia and the help she got from the school and the various departments who came together to help rescue those who are being abused. I loved the author's writing. It was smooth and easy to understand.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I reviewed this book last month and gave it 5 out of 5 stars. It was a delight to read as the writing style was smooth and easy to read. I liked how it brought out sensitive issues in a delicate way without focusing on the horrendous acts.

I believe the book can help a lot of vulnerable young minds who are silently struggling with abuse, and they can easily relate with the characters, especially Addison and Celia. It would be beneficial to parents/guardians and teenagers alike.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

My general rating of this book was 5 out of 5. I loved its message of hope and second chances. The message that we are not alone and that we are loved and appreciated by someone somewhere. I was fascinated by the author's simple but engaging writing style; I loved how Julie was able to switch so effortlessly and effectively between first-person narration and third-person narration. Usually, when an author changes from reporting in the first person to reporting in the third person, it leaves me confused and distracted, always. However, this was not the case with Wright's story. I think the genres incorporated into the story were mystery and nonfiction. I would definitely recommend it to friends and family, and anyone going through some kind of challenging situation and needs motivation to move forward. The greatest lesson I got from this book is that we should always be kind to others because we never know what hardships people are experiencing in their lives. Let's always try to help each other.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”