Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I just finished reading and reviewing this book, and it is one of the best ones I have read about teenage suicide. Although it focuses on teenage suicide, anyone contemplating suicide or suffering from depression will benefit from this book. This applies to their friends and families who are affected by their actions. The cover and title are appropriate for the story. There was nothing about this book that I would recommend the author change. Her writing style makes it easy to understand and feel the many emotions of the characters. I found no reason not to give this book a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I have not read the entire book yet. I am hooked. It is so packed with emotion that you can almost feel the character's pain. I will post my likes and dislikes later. So far I am only 2 chapters in and love it.
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

I am really looking forward to reading this one. It is so much apt about today's mental health situation not just among teens but also among other age groups. I'd recommend this to all teenagers and also to all others who would love to read about how we all go through our emotions and find our ways of coping.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

I recently began reading this book that delves into numerous complex themes such as suicide, fractured families, traumatic childhood experiences, and the impact of social media on young individuals. The story introduces a multitude of characters, and I'm hopeful that as the book progresses, their backgrounds and personalities will be further explored and developed. Although I've only read a few pages, I've already become emotionally invested in characters like Addison and Celia, and I'm genuinely rooting for them to overcome their challenges. All in all, I'm eagerly looking forward to delving deeper into the layers of this book and exploring its intricacies.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

I am already nine chapters into this book, and it is hard to put down! I really feel for these kids. What Celia is going through at home is particularly heartbreaking. No person, let alone a child, should be used as a human ashtray. I'll update once I've read some more, but so far I really love the writer's style and how she writes each chapter from different characters points of view. I can't wait to read more.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm currently reading this book, and Addison's character is quite relatable to me, especially in her journaling style. I usually write down my thoughts when I feel bad, annoyed, worried, and restless, because that way, I release myself, and somehow lessen the heavy feelings inside. Celia's situation at home is so saddening. I can't imagine her mother just letting her boyfriend abuse her daughter. Where is her conscience, and love? All the characters possess different silent battles, and I hope the book's ending doesn't hurt me. I hope they all find solace. I think I'll give this book a perfect score after reading it because it's just so relatable to me. The character's emotions are transparent, and I could feel them. Congratulations to the author for this emotional-to-read book!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I give this book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5. The author was able to tell fictional stories that seems true. I can relate to what every of the high school students mentioned in the book experienced. I like how Addison illuminated her light to all of them and how she used the words swimming, drowning, stars, and heaven.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I love the way this book focuses on suicide, especially teenage suicide. I like the cover page and the writing style of the book. I like that the author employed the use of simple English terms throughout this book. I don't think I dislike anything about it. Congratulations on your BOTD.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

As a teacher, I am interested in reading books about the issues of teenagers. Depression is one of them, so I am quite curious to see how Addison will deal with it. Teenage suicide is difficult to cope with, for parents and teachers as well.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I have only read a sample of this book yet, but I have it on pre-order with Amazon. I am anxious to read it as I have a grandson who is bipolar and has attempted suicide a couple of times. He is hard to talk to because he always says we don't understand what he is going through. He is right, we don't know what he is going through, but we would like to help him.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by Agbata Trust »

This book was so exceptional and I can say it's suit events that happens to teenagers today. It's a book of hope and also a guide on how to deal with depression. The authors writing was very clear.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

This is one of those books that I did not struggle to understand or write a review. I loved the style of writing and despite the many themes addressed in the book, Wright managed to stay on track. My rating was 5 out of 5 stars since I disliked nothing. The title was innovative and the cover page matched the title well.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1722
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

I loved this book! The greatest lesson for me was how meaningful those small gestures of kindness can be. I loved how Addison took her therapist's recommendation about being grateful for small things and expressing thanks and it had a butterfly effect in which all of the characters began to pass on those expressions of gratitude to each other. I think getting that validation can really help us understand the impact of our words and actions on others.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Marissa Maniaci wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 00:59 I loved this book! The greatest lesson for me was how meaningful those small gestures of kindness can be. I loved how Addison took her therapist's recommendation about being grateful for small things and expressing thanks and it had a butterfly effect in which all of the characters began to pass on those expressions of gratitude to each other. I think getting that validation can really help us understand the impact of our words and actions on others.
I 100% agree with you on gestures of kindness. I have been trying to focus on this throughout my day and have been trying to "pass it on." The book was definitely an inspiration for me to work on this.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”