Favorite Character and Why

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad

Re: Favorite Character and Why

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

My favorite character is definitely Celia. Suffering all of those abuse, she became very brave and strong in asking for help to the right people. The fact that she thought of suicide over and over but never went through with was further prove that she is very strong.
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 18:55 Do I have to pick just one? I actually really liked all of them. Even though it all happened in one day, I feel like they all grew and showed their strength!

Damion felt like he was the most changed, or maybe he just became more honest as the book went on. He started out acting like he just wanted fans to know he was a "good guy." In the end, I felt he really was a good guy, and the social media star was who he was pretending to be.

I liked Celia a lot. She seemed so innocent and still just wanted her mother's love. I think I felt the most for her.

Addison was almost like each person's guardian angel. She kept dropping little pieces of wisdom on each of the characters, and her strength was evident.

Avery was an interesting one. She wanted to be the tough girl, but she really was a soft, kind-hearted person.

Booker was just a sweet guy. He was dealing with so much and was still so good to the other characters. His relationship with Seb was great to see.
I totally agree with this summary. I enjoyed all of the characters and the way they interacted and affected each other over 24 hours. If I had to pick a favourite it would be Avery. She is coping with adult concerns while still being a high school student. Her issues don't seem as huge as Celia or Addison but she handles everything thrown at her and still remains kind.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 18:55 Do I have to pick just one? I actually really liked all of them. Even though it all happened in one day, I feel like they all grew and showed their strength!

Damion felt like he was the most changed, or maybe he just became more honest as the book went on. He started out acting like he just wanted fans to know he was a "good guy." In the end, I felt he really was a good guy, and the social media star was who he was pretending to be.

I liked Celia a lot. She seemed so innocent and still just wanted her mother's love. I think I felt the most for her.

Addison was almost like each person's guardian angel. She kept dropping little pieces of wisdom on each of the characters, and her strength was evident.

Avery was an interesting one. She wanted to be the tough girl, but she really was a soft, kind-hearted person.

Booker was just a sweet guy. He was dealing with so much and was still so good to the other characters. His relationship with Seb was great to see.
After reading this, I might want to change my vote to Booker. I forgot what a truly sweet guy he was. He is one of those guys in school who get overlooked because they don't stand out either in a good way or a bad way. He is just quietly amazing.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

Diana Lowery wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 08:13

After reading this, I might want to change my vote to Booker. I forgot what a truly sweet guy he was. He is one of those guys in school who get overlooked because they don't stand out either in a good way or a bad way. He is just quietly amazing.
I like how described Booker! He is quietly amazing! I think he would probably be overlooked by most- especially from someone Damion.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine

Post by Julie Basil »

Celia was my favorite character. I loved her character development and how she grew more sure of herself and her worth over the course of the novel.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Pale Fire
Bookshelf Size: 614
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I happen to agree with most of you on this topic. Clearly, Celia is the most interesting character. What she experiences in a single day is exceptional. Leaving the house in the spoiled blouse, representing the holes in her life, she receives an unsolicited gift of clothing, which initiates the healing process. This was brilliant writing, especially since the new strength she receives from outside a bathroom door comes from someone who has begun her own healing. Each step to independence and mental health builds from this point until Celia is able to end her day. Certainly, even with many emotions running wild and questions to be answered, she is able to experience a sense of hope awaiting her in the days to come.
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 10:49
Diana Lowery wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 08:13

I like how described Booker! He is quietly amazing! I think he would probably be overlooked by most- especially from someone Damion.
I also have some love for Booker. He really was the least troubled of all of the characters but also the most steadfast in his loyalty to both Addison and Seb. I can see a case for all the characters...I thought Damion was really shallow at the beginning but by the end I could see another side of him.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Controversially I liked Damion. Although he was a little self-centred at first, it was driven by his need to be seen and remembered by someone in light of his mother’s condition. I can't imagine going through that and living with it day in and day out. But despite this, he was never mean to anyone. Oblivious yes, but not mean.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Avery was my favorite. All the characters had stuff going on, but I liked how Avery helped others even when she was hurting and lonely. And it wasn’t like she was trying to be friendly and helpful; it was as if she stumbled into helpfulness. Like when she said, “See you later,” she felt like it was a feeble thing to say, and it just popped out of her mouth, but it had a profound effect on Addison. I also liked that she tutored other students. She could have kept her math skills to herself or wasted her talent, but she used them to help others and regretted when she couldn’t help them as much as she wanted. Finally, the Jo and baby Tyler rescue showed her resolve to do what was right. She was willing to go toe-to-toe with her dad over it.

While he was not my favorite character, Luis Serrano did provide clueless comic relief in his conversation with Addison when she was in a tense situation with Booker and Damion in the cafeteria.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

My favorite, unsung, unseen hero was none other than Addison's therapist. This was because of her exemplary job in helping put Addison right back into the right mindset after her unsuccessful suicidal attempt. The impact of her words and advice on/to Addison was so visible and clear to see just by reading Addison's words and thoughts whenever she wanted to make a decision—her therapist's advice always popped up in her mind whenever she wanted to make a decision, and she would always make the right decision after this. It's not easy coming from that hole of depression that depression is. Not everyone who gets sucked or entrapped in that hole gets to come back up and recover, so it was commendable what this expert did to help Addison.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

I haven't read the book yet. Just the review. And from what I have read so far, Celia seems to be a favorite. She was indeed a strong woman. Avery too was quitea lovable character, quite observant and full of love.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

My favorite character is Addison due to her honest, genuine, and natural behavior. It was hard for me at first to discover why Addison attempted suicide in the first place, but those journal/diary entries hit me hard at times, allowing me to dig deeper into my soul. Not many characters have done that to me.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

It's really hard to pick one, I fell in love with all the characters, I felt sorry for Addison in the beginning , but I like Celia.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Though I haven't finished the novel yet, I believe I have already chosen Celia as my favourite character. while experiencing difficult times in life. She refused to let her difficulties discourage her. She also bravely spoke to someone about her challenging circumstances. Her character served as my inspiration.
Juma Florence
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juma-florence.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Signature Addition: Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Post by Juma Florence »

My favorite character was Avery. She was very wise
Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”