Favorite Character and Why

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Chinenye Sus
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Re: Favorite Character and Why

Post by Chinenye Sus »

Selecting a favorite character can pose quite a challenge, but if I were to make a choice, I'd opt for Avery. I admire how she adeptly tackled her family dilemmas, successfully reconciled with Damion, and gracefully navigated the entire Jo and Tyler situation.
Schyk Marcus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: The Soul Family by Alexx Shaw

Post by Schyk Marcus »

Addison was my favorite character. She had depth and she was written from a realistic point of view. I enjoyed reading about her growth as it fascinated me. I like that she was able to mend all her relationships.
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

They were all interesting characters with depth. My favorite character however, was Addison. I connected with her guilt. It was amazing how she was able to deal with it.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I agree with you. Celia captured my attention right from the start. It takes immense courage to acknowledge when something like that is happening to you. I found it both intriguing and heartbreaking to follow her journey as she came to the realization that the way she was treated was not normal and, more importantly, it did not come from a place of love.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Addison and Celia, One of the characters that influenced me the most while reading was between sympathy or appreciation for the courage to confront in some way, even by acknowledging the injustice that befell them.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

It's really hard to choose one. All the characters were well-written and we really got to explore their deepest feelings. All of them also successfully fought their demons.

I will pick Damion, just because he really made an impact on me in the end. The way he tried to defuse an awkward situation. He carries a heavy burden yet always walks around with a smile on his face and wants everyone to be having a good time.

I think he is the only character that starts off as somewhat unlikeable, but then reveals his true self when he realizes what is actually making him feel good is not the likes but the meaningful connections.
Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny-kenneth-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu »

Celia was also my best character and this was because of her resilience and strong willingness. I so much loved how she was portrayed in the book.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

My favorite character is Avery. She was very down to earth and cared about the needs of other before her own. I am glad with her character development.
Witch Cavil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Witch Cavil »

My favourite character was Avery. She was kind compassionate and caring. She put family above all else.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Celia was my favorite character because she showed strength and resilience. Despite facing many difficulties as teenager she didn't break down. For her to share what happened to her was really courageous. I admired her character.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

Celia's uniqueness was striking, but I found Avery's character intriguing as well. Her penchant for discreetly observing people, noting their actions, resonated with my own fascination for understanding human behavior. Avery's willingness to shelter Jo and the baby, even when uncertain about her father's reaction, showcased her compassion. Personally, I was rooting for her to pursue a relationship with Damion.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Avery stands out as an exceptional character. Despite the enmity between her and Damion, she extends kindness by sharing crucial information with him, particularly about a girl who survived a suicide attempt. Avery's generosity shines through as she offers assistance to Celia in her studies. What's more, she wholeheartedly welcomes her brother's girlfriend and child into her home, despite being aware of her father's unpredictable nature.
Rendell Vosson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rendell-vosson.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rendell Vosson »

Booker is my favorite character. I love hoe he supported Addison and how he dealt with his guilt. He was not to blame at all.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

My favorite character in Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright is Celia. Celia is a complex and relatable character who is struggling to overcome her own personal demons. She is abused by her mother and her mother's boyfriends, and she has developed a tough exterior to protect herself. But underneath her tough exterior, Celia is a kind and caring person. She is also fiercely independent and determined to survive. I love Celia because she is so strong and resilient.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Nancy004 wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 09:58 As I started reading this book, Celia immediately grabbed my attention and made me root for her. From the beginning, her tough home life, with her mother mistreating her and her mom's boyfriend burning her with cigarette butts, really got to me. I genuinely hope things start looking up for Celia as I continue reading.
PS: I didn't read your answer because I don't want any spoilers :doh:
It is funny and very relatable how you and I both avoid spoilers. Celia is also my favorite character in the book. There is no doubt about that.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”