Favorite Character and Why

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 769
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Favorite Character and Why

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Which of the characters did you like best and why? Mine was Celia, who showed the strength to tell that she was being abused eventually. Her conflicting emotions about her parents were heartbreaking because she loved and cared about them but did feel their love. I cannot imagine having my mother arrested. I am glad Celia was able to reunite with her father.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

As I started reading this book, Celia immediately grabbed my attention and made me root for her. From the beginning, her tough home life, with her mother mistreating her and her mom's boyfriend burning her with cigarette butts, really got to me. I genuinely hope things start looking up for Celia as I continue reading.
PS: I didn't read your answer because I don't want any spoilers :doh:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am currently reading the book, and what interest me to discover is why Addison attempted suicide. What's the hidden secret, and what's the deep reason, aside from feeling a burden to her mother? So, Addison is sort of my favorite. I also can relate to her way of journaling.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 07:55 Which of the characters did you like best and why? Mine was Celia, who showed the strength to tell that she was being abused eventually. Her conflicting emotions about her parents were heartbreaking because she loved and cared about them but did feel their love. I cannot imagine having my mother arrested. I am glad Celia was able to reunite with her father.
My vote is also for Celia. I think the author did a better job of describing the emotional turmoil that she was going through and that made her more relatable. The scene in the high school office was so realistic, and I admire the compassionate way that the secretary and the counselor were represented.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

It would be hard choosing a favourite character, but if I am to choose I would choose Avery. I love how she was able to handle her family issues, restored her friendship with Damion and how she handled the whole saga of Jo and Tyler. She is my MVP.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I can relate well with Addison but I think my favourite is Celia. I love her for her strength and courage. She was able to speak to someone about what she was going through.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

As a teacher in a far-away country where there is only one counsellor in a school of a thousand students, I can only admire the work these counsellors have to do to keep the feeble students on track. Having to do with so much cruelty in their daily lives and so much lack of justice, girls like Addison, Celia and the others can get through their troubled teenage only with some help from adults. Yet they need courage and strength to look for help.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Celia was exceptional but Avery was interesting too. I liked how she observed people from afar taking note of what they were doing. Makes me remember that I love observing peoples characters. She also took in Jo and the baby when she was not sure her dad would accept them. I really wanted her to date Damion too.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Fun thread! I was on team Celia but @Kigen Valarie reminded me of how impressed I was by Avery. I loved how her story unfolded. So I guess I liked both.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I'm in the middle of reading the book so I haven't formed a complete idea yet, but so far I just love love love the girl with the cigarette-burned shirt, Celia. She just grabs my attention the most, I can't explain why. I also love how even though the narration is told in the third person, the author added little quirks to each character. Fact: Celia has the most memorable one! (does anyone get it??)
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by Agbata Trust »

My favourite character was Addison though at the start of the book I kept wondering what might have caused her to attempt suicide. I love her she lived her life after what had happened.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Dalia Chf wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 06:35 I'm in the middle of reading the book so I haven't formed a complete idea yet, but so far I just love love love the girl with the cigarette-burned shirt, Celia. She just grabs my attention the most, I can't explain why. I also love how even though the narration is told in the third person, the author added little quirks to each character. Fact: Celia has the most memorable one! (does anyone get it??)
Now I need to reread a bit to figure out Celia’s.
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1723
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

I really liked Avery. I felt that she was very nonjudgmental and seemed very mature and wise. I appreciated that even though she and Damion weren't friends anymore, she felt compelled to let him know that people were talking poorly about him and then went as far as to try and resolve his issues for him. She also went out of her way to find Addison and let her know that someone was there to support her. I really felt for her every time she thought she was saying or doing the wrong thing and incapable of building friendships.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Only because I feel like Avery was taking on too much as a character, I'll go with Celia. Her strength, courage and vulnerability is admirable.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Evergreen by Sharon Elliott

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I absolutely adore how Celia was written, her innocence, her strength to share what was happening, and how she starts dealing with her emotions. I also loved Avery, as I think she is the one that helped everyone the most, without her none of the characters would have ended as they did. Between them, I cannot a favorite character, but overall this book has amazing characters.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”