How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Contrary to what people are saying here, its not that difficult. Do not judge someone who attempted suicide or shame them. If you're good at reading emotions and moods, then be conscious of what that person needs at a difficult moment. If you're not good at judging, ask them what they need, they'll be happy you cared. Most importantly, and this goes for educational institutes as well as individuals, do not treat them like they're contagious. Treat them how you would treat someone who you care about and would not like to see harmed.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I would act as normal as possible, try to make her feel that she can go back to living a normal life. as for the school, I think providing educational courses of spirituality, religion and support groups of people who had similar experiences and surpassed it.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

Individuals and institutions can do a lot of good for suicide survivors simply by providing support for them. Overcoming biases and stigmas in order to simply be there for these people can help them feel less devoid of hope and make them feel more involved and significant to the community. While this is not necessarily the best course of action for everyone, it has the potential to help many.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Several factors can trigger suicidal thoughts: depression, debts, overwhelming court cases, family matters, etc. Depending on the individual, I will assess the situation and help in any way I can, even if it is just by being present.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Storm+ wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 10:27 Individuals and institutions can do a lot of good for suicide survivors simply by providing support for them. Overcoming biases and stigmas in order to simply be there for these people can help them feel less devoid of hope and make them feel more involved and significant to the community. While this is not necessarily the best course of action for everyone, it has the potential to help many.
In addition, I have seen several helplines and links to free counsel. Such may prove helpful. And yes, it may not be the best course of action, but it is a starting point.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Salah bourouba wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 19:54 I would act as normal as possible, try to make her feel that she can go back to living a normal life. as for the school, I think providing educational courses of spirituality, religion and support groups of people who had similar experiences and surpassed it.
With regards to religion, I know of churches that offer free guidance and accommodation until the victim feels better. As for spirituality, prayer works wonders; I know that firsthand.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Marissa Maniaci wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 01:03 I think this is a really complicated question because you don't want to just pretend the attempt never happened because that might make the person feel even more isolated and like no one would care, but you also don't want to make them feel smothered and untrusted or force them to deal with your emotions on top of their own unstable ones. I actually think a lot of the characters in the book handled it very well. Just by approaching Addison and letting her know they were there for her and would continue to be there for her when she was ready without pushing her to open up immediately seemed to be very effective in helping her not feel so alone.
I understand where you're coming from. However, it is not that easy to simply approach someone and tell them what you're contemplating to do. Further, most characters were mainly teenagers with little knowledge of how to handle such a situation.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Bookshelf Size: 615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I've only had minimal experience with suicide throughout my life, so I'm no expert. For me, I think that the best thing you can do is make yourself available and let anyone who has attempted to end their own life understand that you are there to listen. Just that. And let them know you'll listen when they are ready to talk, not when you are ready to listen. The problem is that you can't do the same for someone who has succeeded at suicide. The unfortunate successful cases with which I am familiar were done spontaneously out of anger, sadness, and disappointment. I suppose looking for any clues that might be a tip-off that someone is capable of such a deed is critical. Once suspicions are raised, then the willingness to listen kicks in. And then it becomes important to find additional help. Because if you are like me, there's only so much someone untrained in this area can do.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 12:25 This is a tough one to answer because I think every case will be unique. I would make myself available to them in any way they wanted. It could be just sitting quietly together, listening to them without an opinion, etc. Depending on the individual, they may want normalcy and nothing more. Educational institutions and workplaces need to be sensitive to the individual needs of the person.
I agree with you, Bertha. It is different for each character and situation. The only thing we can do is be supportive in the way they need it the most.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

There's no one-size-fits-all approach to this. It's all about having empathy for one another. Anyone can be in Addison's situation, even though with peculiarities. However, we need to support each other knowing that we can be in the lowest of moments and in need of people to lift us up.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

This is the first time I'm seeing this scenario, and I guess I'll maintain a good relation with the friend as I try to know the reason why he or she took the option of committing suicide. As for educational institutions and workplaces its best if there is no discrimination directed towards any person.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

Its important to be in communication with parents and know and understand what the doctors recommend. I also think its important to let the person know that you are there for them and that they mean a lot to you. Addison remarked that she believed her mother would be better off without her. Understanding where that person is and ensuring they know their importance, and feel wanted 'here' is how I would go about it.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rupali Mishra »

It's difficult to respond to this because I believe that each scenario will be different. I would be there for them in whatever capacity they required. It might be as simple as the two of you sitting quietly and listening to them without interjecting, etc. Depending on the individual, they might only seek normalcy. The demands of the individual must be taken into consideration by companies and educational institutions.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

I've seen someone being suicidal and I've also seen suicide cases. It's a horrible thing. Anyone suicidal or have attempted it needs lots of love and attention. They need someone to listen to them and allow them open up.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Attenuating Puritan by Robert McGuiness

Post by Seetha E »

A person who has made an attempt on their life has given up on both himself and everyone else. They took this extreme action because they couldn't express their extreme desperation.
I don't think I'm equipped to manage the circumstance. But if they are willing to talk, the least one can do is be present and ready to hear what they have to say. To evaluate the circumstance, they require composure.
If they do not communicate their feelings or open up, we may need to gently point them in the direction of professional assistance.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”