How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Witch Cavil
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Re: How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

Post by Witch Cavil »

What we can do is to just be there for them in their time of need. They need to excel and gain a little confidence.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

Your response has to be tailored to the person and the relationship. If you weren't close before, you can't expect the person to open up to you about sensitive matters. But everyone still needs to be treated with respect and seen. Classmates still need to look them in the eyes, include them in conversations, do group projects together. Those closest with the person will be doing the emotional heavy lifting when needed. Its up to the rest of us to be resectful, inclusive and provide a sense of normalcy.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

This is a very delicate topic. People who have reached an extreme point of wanting to end their life are usually in a permanent state of depression and with a very vulnerable psyche, so they must be under constant supervision and emotional treatment to help them overcome what they are experiencing. causes so much pain.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

The best way is to observe and listen to them closely because every little thing they say matters. You can never know what they going through till you get close to them. So its required of you to support them in every way you can by giving them the attention they need.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

A general approach to dealing with individuals who have attempted suicide is to treat them naturally and normally. This way, they won't have to wonder why people are treating them differently. Allowing them the time and space to process and cope with their feelings and experiences can also be effective.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I believe help will come from acknowledging that all the person wanted was relief and trying our best to offer them that relief will be a huge thing. Also, accepting that things will not be the same is part of helping both the victims and close ones. Things will be uncomfortable and uneasy.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

If Addison was able to come back to school with what happened to her, she shouldn't look at anyone's face. She has to open her mouth and share her story and I should encourage that by being around her always smiling and engaging.
Rendell Vosson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rendell-vosson.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rendell Vosson »

We can try to figure out why while also showing the person that we'd be there no matter what. If they feel the love and care, they'd heal faster.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

I think recommending a good and available therapist who will be friendly and understanding will help alot this person
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

To be honest, I would feel uneasy as well. It'd be like walking on eggshells around someone like that. But I would give a sympathetic ear, listen to them, and offer assistance where possible.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

By encouraging them instead of critiquing them, most people need the kindest encouraging they can get first, trust me, they might have beaten themselves up so we don't need to do that .
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

It's crucial to offer empathetic listening, express genuine concern, and encourage professional help to them. Create a non-judgmental space for them to share their feelings and guide them toward mental health resources.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Educational institutions and workplaces should integrate relaxation services and psychological workers into their establishments so that they can better address the issue of suicide. If this is done, suicide can be stopped.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

When everyone acts like they’re walking on eggshells around the survivor, when in fact the survivor is the one who is suffering, it is bound to feel worse. From a loved one’s perspective, I can understand that they are scared of another such event occurring, but when you walk on eggshells, it makes the sufferer feel worse. I would suggest love, affection, and positive, encouraging words from loved ones, along with professional help. One should be as normal as they can around the survivor; it includes educators, friends, and family. Never neglect professional help, either. Schools should involve students in activities like meditation and, at the same time, provide counseling on a regular basis for each and every student. This is just my personal opinion.
Runan
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

Personally I might not know how to react towards them but what I’m sure of is that I would express empathy and compassion by reassuring my friend that they are not alone and that their feelings are valid and offer my genuine empathy and support. I would also avoid making any judgments or say words that may seem like I am minimizing their feelings because I wouldn’t want to push them away but let them know that I am there for them whenever.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”