How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

How can we provide comfort and support to someone who attempted suicide?

Post by Nancy004 »

When Addison returned to school following her suicide attempt, it was evident that everyone, including her friends and teachers, felt uneasy around her. This only exacerbated her discomfort. If you were a close friend or family member of someone like Addison, how would you go about creating a comforting environment for them? Moreover, how should educational institutions and workplaces effectively address and support individuals in similar circumstances?
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 769
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This is a tough one to answer because I think every case will be unique. I would make myself available to them in any way they wanted. It could be just sitting quietly together, listening to them without an opinion, etc. Depending on the individual, they may want normalcy and nothing more. Educational institutions and workplaces need to be sensitive to the individual needs of the person.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m really not sure how to do this. I know from experience that providing comfort is very hard to do, especially since those dealing with attempted suicide don’t really want to discuss what has happened. It’s made even more difficult by the fact that reasons for attempted suicide are complicated. I suppose not treating the with kid gloves is a good solution. Many who have done this feel awkward already. The further you get from the attempt, the easier it gets.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I think we need to meet people where they are at. I am a firm believer in supporting people, but also not getting too involved if I am not too close to them. I would definitely encourage them to seek professional help, and be there as an ear to listen if I was close to them and able to handle it personally. It is very tough to help someone in this situation, but there is help out there.
A big part of it is awareness and openness for any school or work place. Not treating people differently, no judgment etc.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I learnt from the book that the best way is not to judge them or try to be too protective or harsh. The best thing is to make them feel loved and let them know you are with them.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

Creating a comforting environment for someone like Addison, who has experienced a suicide attempt, involves open communication and empathy. Letting Addison know that you support her unconditionally and providing a judgment-free space for her to share her feelings is essential. Building a solid support system around her by encouraging professional help and connecting her with support groups can offer a sense of understanding and belonging.

Educational institutions and workplaces should prioritize mental health support. Training teachers, staff, and colleagues in mental health awareness and sensitivity can reduce stigma and ensure appropriate responses. Implementing policies promoting mental health resources and regular check-ins can help identify and support individuals in need.

Creating a comforting environment for someone like Addison requires empathy, open communication, and a robust support system. Encouraging professional help and connecting with support groups can provide understanding and belonging. Educational institutions and workplaces should prioritize mental health support through training and policies. By fostering empathy and providing resources, we can create a more supportive and compassionate environment for individuals facing mental health challenges.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Nancy004 wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 02:09 When Addison returned to school following her suicide attempt, it was evident that everyone, including her friends and teachers, felt uneasy around her. This only exacerbated her discomfort. If you were a close friend or family member of someone like Addison, how would you go about creating a comforting environment for them? Moreover, how should educational institutions and workplaces effectively address and support individuals in similar circumstances?
This is a very pertinent question. Lately, mental health and wellness are gaining enhanced attention. And one related area of serious concern is suicide. There is an increasing need of awareness that people who attempt suicide are undergoing tremendous emotional pain and helplessness about it, that they choose to end the pain by ending their lives. Thus, as a family or a friend of someone like Addison, I would make myself available and I would communicate that I'm there should the person need to talk about anything. I would make myself accessible, and keen on listening, without giving any advice. Educational institutions and workplaces should have excellent and updated mental health services in place and should invest in sensitizing everyone about the related concerns, acceptance of the person, empathy and compassion for them.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

Is it possible to create a comforting environment for someone who has attempted suicide? In theory, you'd of course want to make every effort to make them feel loved - but did they not feel loved before? Maybe that would remedy the attempts from those who lacked love, but surely many attempts come from something deeper that can't be comforted away. Not every problem can be solved by smothering with love.

I sometimes think of Robin Williams, who gave so much of his gifts to the world. While I don't know details about his personal life, surely he felt love from his family. However, he had personal demons from doing drugs for a few years - that much I do know. Something like that stays with you, especially if your brain has been chemically altered in some way. How can you possibly comfort someone like that? I don't think there is an answer for this.
Susan Sadiq
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-sadiq.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Susan Sadiq »

This is a difficult question to answer because I think it can be solved in various ways. I prefer talking ti the person and letting them know that they have people to count on. I think that's the best solution to the problem.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I have never been around someone who attempted to commit suicide. But if I were to give support to one, I would make myself readily available to them. I would always get them food and also give them words of encouragement.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I'm glad you asked this question because I honestly would have no idea how to respond! The comments have been very insightful for me. I am someone who has never struggled with depression and as such I don't feel well equipped to comfort those who are in the thick of it - which is one reason I wanted to pick this book up. I would love to feel more confident in my ability to be the best support I can be for anyone in my life that feels this way.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I believe that the best thing that one can do is to let the person know that they don't have to discuss anything that makes them unconfortable, but to ensure that they know that you always have an open ear in case they want to talk. You want to create a space where they feel okay to express themselves so they don't ever feel the need to take drastic measures again.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

My older brother is a practical example for me. I go all out to show love and support, I believe these people felt all alone in the first place and it led to the incident. Therefore I make them see how intentional my love and care to them is.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well this could be a difficult task but then the greatest comfort is love. You need to tell them the need why they should love themselves and also others. I don't think anyone can harm himself when he genuinely has self love.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

When I am a friend of someone who attempted suicide, I'll sit beside my friend and empathetically listen. Motivate my friend to go on in life because life is beautiful and worth celebrating. I will support my disturbed friend emotionally.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”