If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Re: If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

Post by Moray_001 »

Cristina Chifane wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 06:06 I usually keep myself busy enough to keep depression at bay. Being active, reading, listening to music, dancing, or taking a walk are very good coping mechanisms.
Being active is a good coping mechanism to take your mind off things. Just try not to exert your energy till burn out.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Varsha Porwal wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 13:43 I don’t think it is a healthy one, but my coping mechanism is to just avoid my problems and binge eat.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss but the problems you're ignoring would still be there waiting for you to address them.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Selena R Romero wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 04:38 I do different things when I notice I'm depressed or down. First I try to internally motivate myself by reminding myself of the good things I have in life, family, love and friendships. I also express myself better with art so I draw different works and come up with beautiful paintings. I also take walks at night; it's so therapeutic.
I like your approach, it reminds of the song 'Count Your Blessings' I find it very uplifting when I feel discouraged.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

Honestly, it may sound cliché, especially in this forum, but whenever I feel sad or I want to plug off, my coping mechanism is definitely reading. diving into another world and forgetting about my problems is the best solution. Obviously, I try not to do that too much, especially when I'm feeling down, because I think it would be detrimental, but it is always a good solution in my opinion.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Well, for me, there are several ways I try to handle depression when it tries to pull me down. First, I take a nature walk to just relax. I might also read or decide to pen down something as a way to let out what feels burdensome. Or go play a game of amateur football or just some type of soorting activity—exercising always uplifts both my mind and body. Or listen to my favorite music. Or watch my favorite film or series. Just something to take my mind out of negative thoughts during such times. Or I go talk to a close one, just to vent or to seek advice.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

Talk to someone close or a therapist... Its will be the best choice before it worsen
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

My coping mechanism is, unfortunately, eating. When feeling depressed or having a lot on my mind, I would eat a bag of cookies drench in a bowl of milk. I have to say it was very relieving, but also only momentary.
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

Try to stay out of many upcoming stress and listening to music and doing some exercises to make myself busy and healthy
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

Humor and laughter, are my best coping mechanisms whenever stressful situations arise. Life is too short not to possibly enjoy every moment that is within your control. Things or situations beyond my control that may cause stress, I laugh about it and keep pushing forward.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Post by Abiodunakinola »

If I feel depressed, I just consult God in prayer and pour my concerns into him. I then sleep, wake up to eat, and start another activity.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

I try to focus on the things that bring me joy and comfort. I call my sister and talk to her at length. I read my favorite book, or listen to music. Sometimes i just call my boyfriend. Just talking about how we're feeling make a big difference.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

I don't think it's the right thing but I play games to take away stress. I've been doing this for years and it works everything.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Post by RJ Reviews »

My immediate reaction is to step away from the situation. However, that may not always be possible. In those cases, I prefer to get lost in the world of books. They're the perfect escape route!

Music lightens the mood too. A cup of steaming honey-ginger tea helps me shift focus. The point is to stop dwelling in the situation that is causing me distress.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I always find someone I can talk to that I trust 100%, not only to vent out and invite them to share their thoughts with you to find common ground, but to have someone who'll listen. Sometimes, we only need someone who will listen and not give random advice.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

To cope my depression, I get involved with those who love me. I give them time, listen to their problems and what’s going on in their lives. It lets me forget my own problems.
I also get close to nature.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”