If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jnapika D
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Re: If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

Post by Jnapika D »

When I'm depressed or sad, I like listening to music and watching my favorite shows. I usually like watching reruns of my favorite shows that I have already watched because it's comforting to know what happens next.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

When I'm depressed, I watch a lot of motivational films alone rather than with anyone else. These films encourage me to reconsider my perspective and see that there is more to life than being depressed. It usually works out for me.
Juma Florence
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juma-florence.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Signature Addition: Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Post by Juma Florence »

I practice relaxation techniques like meditation and physical exercises. These natural remedies seem to work for me.
Juma. Official Reviewer Representative
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Chinenye Sus »

That’s a good question! Everyone is different, so there’s no single answer that works for everyone. But there are some common techniques that people find helpful for managing stress and depression. For example, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly all help to improve my overall well-being. And simple activities like listening to music, reading a book, or going for a walk also helps to lift my mood.
Olive Uche
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Olive Uche »

I prefer to have some "me time" as an introvert from time to time. Being alone allows me to relax and do anything I want. I normally don't have a lot of social energy, especially when I'm depressed. Even if it comes from someone I love, I get a headache if I have to face or hear another word from other people.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

When I feel depressed, I often listen to music, watch movies, listen to inspirational podcasts, or go out. I must admit there are times none of these can help me, and I such case I would have to deal with the psychological tortures.
Currently Reading:

Catalina Isabel wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 04:04 I have gone through a difficult time when I was younger and I "dealt" with it by writing a whole book of my life as a sort of therapy. Every good and bad thing until the age of 23. This helped me heal and understand myself better, and I moved forward and also started helping others as a career. I have so many techniques to help myself; reading, writing, dancing, fresh air, quality time with people that uplift me. I also love doing meditation and deep breathing if I ever feel stressed.
That's interesting. I read somewhere in Sigmund's psychoanalysis theory that writing can help get out some stuff.
Currently Reading:

Nancy004 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 07:31 When I feel down, I usually prefer being alone. I do some breathing exercises, listen to self-help podcasts, and spend time reading in my room. I don't usually go out or make plans with anyone because I need that alone time to recharge before facing the world again. I'm someone who gets drained by social interactions, so when I'm feeling depressed, it's even harder for me to be social. That's why I give myself the space and time to heal by being alone.
Yes. This can help sometimes. There are moments being around friends may just be too uncomfortable.
Currently Reading:

Olive Uche wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 02:48 I prefer to have some "me time" as an introvert from time to time. Being alone allows me to relax and do anything I want. I normally don't have a lot of social energy, especially when I'm depressed. Even if it comes from someone I love, I get a headache if I have to face or hear another word from other people.
Sometime I do that: lock myself up in a room. But sometimes I do go out. One or two conversations with people may brighten the day.
Currently Reading:

Christian James+ wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 12:34 That’s a good question! Everyone is different, so there’s no single answer that works for everyone. But there are some common techniques that people find helpful for managing stress and depression. For example, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly all help to improve my overall well-being. And simple activities like listening to music, reading a book, or going for a walk also helps to lift my mood.
I think I agree with you. Each person just has to figure out what works for them.
Currently Reading:

Juma Florence wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 23:26 I practice relaxation techniques like meditation and physical exercises. These natural remedies seem to work for me.
Me I play the piano or go out watching some birds flying in the air.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Rishaunda Lynnette Britton wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 07:15
Catalina Isabel wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 04:04 I have gone through a difficult time when I was younger and I "dealt" with it by writing a whole book of my life as a sort of therapy. Every good and bad thing until the age of 23. This helped me heal and understand myself better, and I moved forward and also started helping others as a career. I have so many techniques to help myself; reading, writing, dancing, fresh air, quality time with people that uplift me. I also love doing meditation and deep breathing if I ever feel stressed.
That's interesting. I read somewhere in Sigmund's psychoanalysis theory that writing can help get out some stuff.
Yes it does, sometimes you can even find out things you didn't yet know that are in your subconscious. You can start by writing "Dear me..." or almost like a story either in the first or third person but without overthinking, just writing. I still use the technique if I can't sleep or had a busy day, it always helps.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I have been in depression on a couple of occasions, leaving is difficult because it is as if the desire to do something that you need abandons you. Trying to get out is difficult, very difficult.

It requires great courage to make a decision so strong that you can break the trance and emerge afloat. In my case, when I was like this, I tried to ignore the sensation by reading, I read a lot, I sometimes watched movies and some series as well.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Depression is something I have struggled with for most of my life and in recent years it has gotten especially bad. Therefore, I've had to develop coping mechanisms and I would say that it's hard to feel better or more relaxed or whatever your goal is without having more than one. Something I do is writing in a journal. Whatever I have to say comes out on paper no matter what type of seemingly over the top language I need to use. will anyone ever see it? Nope. Just me. But it can be nice. Another tactic is to take a deep breath and ask yourself, "what are three things I see? What are three things I hear? What are three things I feel? What are three things I smell? As I name each thing I find myself relaxing more and more. Now, this is generally best for anxiety but I find the two go hand in hand. Music and reading are also good
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

When I go through tough times, I find comfort through sleeping. For me to feel okay, I need to feel loved. I need someone to understand the problems that I'm suffering, who would stay with me and support me.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”