If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

If you feel depressed, what is your coping mechanism?

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

In the book, the characters possess emotional battles or silent battles, which mostly lead to depression. For you, what is your coping mechanism if you feel stressed or depressed? What activities or things do you do to lighten up the mood or feelings?
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Trouble In The Triangle
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I try to think of other people going through difficult times and compare them to my situation. After that, I do what I can to help them with their struggles, which takes my mind off my troubles. This always makes me feel better. Reading uplifting books helps as well.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1023
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Just like Bertha, I try to realize that others are going through things that are much worse. Reading also helps me. When I can become immersed in someone else’s world, my mind doesn’t dwell on my “problems”. I realize, though, that for someone considering suicide their problems seem insurmountable.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Thinking that there are less fortunate than us; that there are people with much worse problems than ours indeed can lighten our depressive feelings. A self-help book can help so much too. Thanks for your comment, Amy and Bertha.🤗
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I have gone through a difficult time when I was younger and I "dealt" with it by writing a whole book of my life as a sort of therapy. Every good and bad thing until the age of 23. This helped me heal and understand myself better, and I moved forward and also started helping others as a career. I have so many techniques to help myself; reading, writing, dancing, fresh air, quality time with people that uplift me. I also love doing meditation and deep breathing if I ever feel stressed.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Catalina Isabel wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 04:04 I have gone through a difficult time when I was younger and I "dealt" with it by writing a whole book about my life as a sort of therapy. Every good and bad thing until the age of 23. This helped me heal and understand myself better, and I moved forward and also started helping others as a career. I have so many techniques to help myself; reading, writing, dancing, fresh air, quality time with people that uplift me. I also love doing meditation and deep breathing if I ever feel stressed.
Wow, was that book published? It seems you can relate the character of Addison in this book; she do journaling. And wow, motivated you to help others as a career, how amazing it is, Catalina! Your techniques were surely effective to lighten the mood. But I haven't tried the technique of dancing, and deep breathing. I tried meditation but I'm not good on it.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Nancy004 »

When I feel down, I usually prefer being alone. I do some breathing exercises, listen to self-help podcasts, and spend time reading in my room. I don't usually go out or make plans with anyone because I need that alone time to recharge before facing the world again. I'm someone who gets drained by social interactions, so when I'm feeling depressed, it's even harder for me to be social. That's why I give myself the space and time to heal by being alone.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Nancy004 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 07:31 When I feel down, I usually prefer being alone. I do some breathing exercises, listen to self-help podcasts, and spend time reading in my room. I don't usually go out or make plans with anyone because I need that alone time to recharge before facing the world again. I'm someone who gets drained by social interactions, so when I'm feeling depressed, it's even harder for me to be social. That's why I give myself the space and time to heal by being alone.
I feel you, Nancy about being unsociable. It hit home to me when Simon Sinek says that introverts bring five coins, and after minutes or hours of socializing, it is all consumed. It's unlike extroverts that it multiplies.

Nature is my escape when I feel burdened or stressed. And I'm always alone doing that. I just walked uphill to recharge.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954 by Monica Carly
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Ok, don't judge me until you have tried it, but here is my stress remedy. I go into the woods behind my house and scream as loud as I can until I am almost hoarse. I wouldn't advise this if you have any close neighbors.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Diana Lowery wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:32 Ok, don't judge me until you have tried it, but here is my stress remedy. I go into the woods behind my house and scream as loud as I can until I am almost hoarse. I wouldn't advise this if you have any close neighbors.
I like this one. I also go to walk alone and talk to myself loudly and ask myself the reason for my depressing state and how I only will be able to overcome it. Addiction to it I also like to listen to music and watch any entertaining show or something which will refresh my mood to a better state.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Diana Lowery wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:32 Ok, don't judge me until you have tried it, but here is my stress remedy. I go into the woods behind my house and scream as loud as I can until I am almost hoarse. I wouldn't advise this if you have any close neighbors.
I haven't tried it. I can do it uphill alone. Maybe next time I'll go there.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: Behind The Wheel Tips by Raoul Watson

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

When I feel depressed or down my coping mechanism is listening to music, watching comic videos and talking with people close to me.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 21:49 When I feel depressed or down my coping mechanism is listening to music, watching comic videos and talking with people close to me.
I agree with listening to music, but watching comic videos is not suited for me. Alright, talking to close people or family members are indeed vey helpful.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

Setting ourselves up for success while dealing with stress or sadness is crucial. Exercise is frequently used as a tactic to release endorphins and improve mood. Making contact with loved ones or getting help from a professional can be consoling and help you feel less alone. Pursuing interests and creative endeavors can provide a welcome diversion and a sense of success. Taking care of our physical health is essential by eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and practicing relaxation techniques. It's crucial to remember that everyone has different coping techniques, and getting professional treatment is advised if stress or sadness gets out of control. Being patient and compassionate with oneself during challenging circumstances is crucial since self-care is a personal journey.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I don’t think it is a healthy one, but my coping mechanism is to just avoid my problems and binge eat.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”