Are you curious?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Are you curious?

Post by Christine Palmer »

This is something I am never curious about. I would go to the ends of the earth to help my immediate family or to coach a child through suicidal thoughts. If a close friend or family wanted to tell me I would listen empathetically.

But when I have a choice, I prefer to never know the darkness inside that causes these thoughts. That knowledge would be rather traumatic and really stick in my head and heart. There is a reason I am not in the mental health profession.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

To me I don't think its healthy to think of what made someone commit suicide. It would be helpful to learn from it rather that think about it. An individual might relate to what made someone commit suicide so thinking about it can lead to a dark part of committing the same suicide.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

I always have the hope that if I ever spot the signs, I would extend a hand to someone and reassure them that they're not alone. On any given day, I make an effort to share a smile and exchange greetings with people I encounter, whether it's at the grocery store or elsewhere. You never know when a smile or a brief conversation can make someone feel acknowledged. It can be more challenging to make eye contact with teenagers, but the elderly always appear delighted to engage in a chat, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Rendell Vosson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rendell-vosson.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rendell Vosson »

If someone survives that kind of attempt, he/she should tell people around that it isn't their fault. They should ease them from their guilt.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

Yes definitely, whenever I hear of suicide what comes to mind is, where are their friends? Don they not have anyone they could confide in? Many times depression leads to suicide and yes, I get curious
Oleabhiele Joseph
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleabhiele-joseph.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Oleabhiele Joseph »

You feeling guilty for something like that is only your mind trying to shift the blame on yourself for some reason. People who are suicidal get that mindset from a specific occurrence, and even if you try to be as close to them as possible and cheer them up or whatever, I believe a situation might arise where they’ll see the only way out as taking their lives. You can correct people, yes, but the tendency to feel suicidal in an uncomfortable situation is always underlying in their mind once they’ve developed the notion for the first time. It always seems like an option to them.
“You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 161 AD -180 AD
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Sometimes, people mask depressive signs and put on different personas, but if you are truly close to someone, you can spot a fake persona and look out for depressive signs. Then action can be taken so as to avoid drastic circumstances.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

To be honest, I would definitely be curious to know why they did what they did and if I am a friend to such person I would feel guilty as well because it simply means that I didn’t pay much attention to my friend to see the signs or the changes in them. But I won’t also let my curiosity get the best out of me because asking them might be bothersome to them too.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”