Are you curious?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Re: Are you curious?

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Naturally, I'd say I'm interested in the idea of suicide. When I was depressed and contemplating suicide at one time in my life. I also pondered whether my issues would disappear after I passed away. It can be difficult to fight suicide ideas.
Chinenye Sus
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Post by Chinenye Sus »

I always hold onto the hope that if I observe the signs, I would extend a hand to someone and remind them that they are not alone. In my everyday life, I make an effort to smile and greet anyone I encounter, whether it's at the grocery store or elsewhere. You never know when a simple smile or a brief conversation can make someone feel acknowledged. Making eye contact with teenagers can be a bit more challenging, but the elderly often appear delighted to have someone to chat with, even if only for a few minutes.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think I am more empathic and would be more concerned with the fact that I may have not done enough to protect my friend and loved one. I wouldn't be curious to know their reasons or what made them do it anyway although if they wanted to talk about it I would still gladly indulge them. I believe it will be insensitive to want to know why rather than show deep concern.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I think it's a really delicate topic. For a person who may be directly involved it must be disturbing, being friends with someone with this tendency, trying to help them and not getting better in some way can create thoughts of blameworthiness when an irreversible event occurs.

This topic would have to be analyzed from many points of view to give a balanced and generalized overview that has many variants.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I do feel curious and there is certain guilt if it’s somebody close that maybe I could have helped. But I never feel like inquiring people who are not close about their personal lives unless they choose to tell me.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

Fortunately, I never came close to living in a situation like this, I think I would feel curious but wouldn't want to be disrespectful to that person's friends and family. I think it is important to know that when a person decides to commit suicide, it's not anyone's fault, at least not in most cases.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

It's normal to feel curious about why someone might take such a drastic step, and it's also natural to wish that you could have been there for them. Guilt is a common reaction, but it's important to remember that you can't shoulder the responsibility for someone else's actions.

Suicidal thoughts and actions are the result of a complex interplay of factors, often including mental health struggles, personal circumstances, and a range of experiences. While being supportive and attentive is important, it's also crucial to recognize that you can't control or prevent every outcome.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Praying Mantis by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Kendal Low »

I think there will always be some sort of morbid curiosity present, but I don't think I'd ever ask the person what made them want to do it, unless I can tell they're looking for someone to talk to about it.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

One of my old childhood friend suicide in his house only and he was living with his family at that time. I just wonder what made him do it. What was in his mind? What was he thinking that he just did it? It's just beyond our imagination of how much guts it takes to take a step for it.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Buikem Kasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

At some point, she has to reassure everyone that she didn't do it because of them. They shouldn't have to live with that guilt. Life is hard and it was none of their faults.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

The same thing happened with two of my classmates. I feel guilty whenever I think about them as I didn't take the time to get to know them.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Sometimes it's just so hard to tell what another person goes through. You just have to be there for your friends and try to treat people you don't know the best you can in a given situation.

I really liked when Avery said "See you later" to Addison and that simple sentence means so much to her.
Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny-kenneth-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu »

I'm always curious to know the reason or reasons behind their attempt but later on I choose to look into the present and how they are doing rather than focusing on the past
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

The guilt is real and it is something that can make people even commit suicide. They feel like they have murdered someone.
Witch Cavil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Witch Cavil »

Yes. They all felt a sense of guilt especially her mother. It was necessary for her to put everyone at ease from that burden.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”