It’s A Wonderful Life

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

It’s A Wonderful Life

Post by Erin Dydek »

I loved that the author brought up It’s A Wonderful Life in the discussion questions following the novel. George Bailey feels so insignificant but when he views a world where he was never born, he gets to see how much of a difference his life made. In a similar way Addison touches the lives of others but doesn’t fully realize how her interactions pushed the other students to face the difficulties in their private lives. How would the day in the book be different if Addison had not survived her attempt and not returned to school on December 7th?
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Erin Dydek wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 12:47 I loved that the author brought up It’s A Wonderful Life in the discussion questions following the novel. George Bailey feels so insignificant but when he views a world where he was never born, he gets to see how much of a difference his life made. In a similar way Addison touches the lives of others but doesn’t fully realize how her interactions pushed the other students to face the difficulties in their private lives. How would the day in the book be different if Addison had not survived her attempt and not returned to school on December 7th?
Great Question! I will have to ponder over how the day would be different. It would be a lot worse for sure. Also, thanks for bringing up the topic of the book only covering one day. The author made a wise choice with that decision.
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I agree! I think the one that stands out to me the most is that Celia most likely would've never turned her mother in to authorities for her abuse. Overall most of the characters wouldn't have felt as brave facing their own issues. I think many of them would feel unresolved regarding Addison's death, especially Booker.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nancy004 »

If Addison hadn't made it through her difficult time and didn't come back to school on December 7th, the day in the book would have been completely different. Without her, the other characters wouldn't have experienced the positive impact of her presence. They wouldn't have been inspired to face their own struggles and grow as individuals. The relationships and interactions among the characters would have lacked the depth and growth that Addison's presence brought. Her survival and return to school were key moments that shaped the course of the story and the lives of those around her.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The survival of Addison was a blessing for the other four students. If she didn't survive, the others leave unsettled. If they hurt, how much more is her mother? I can't imagine how her mother feel if she never survived.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

This is such a good question. I feel that their days would have been completely different. Booker and Hazel would have been really upset because they both felt guilty. They would have never been able to talk to her and find out the truth behind her actions—that it was not their fault. Celia would have probably not turned her mom in and maybe would have skipped school that day. She would be in a terrible situation still and unsure of how to get out of it. Damion and Avery would not have reconnected. I think Avery would have still found out about her nephew and his mom, but Damion would not have been a part of it. The only reason they talked to each other at the beginning of the day was because Avery wanted to let Damion know what she heard in the halls. Booker and Damion also would not have become friends either. Her surviving and returning to school changed the course of all their lives. I said it in my review, but they may not have all known each other before the day started, but they all became connected by the end of it. The center of that connection is Addison.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Erin Dydek wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 12:47 I loved that the author brought up It’s A Wonderful Life in the discussion questions following the novel. George Bailey feels so insignificant but when he views a world where he was never born, he gets to see how much of a difference his life made. In a similar way Addison touches the lives of others but doesn’t fully realize how her interactions pushed the other students to face the difficulties in their private lives. How would the day in the book be different if Addison had not survived her attempt and not returned to school on December 7th?
Much wore could have happened, but I'm glad things took a positive turn. Imagine how many teenagers attempt suicide each day with little or nor support. Sometimes, gestures as little as human interactions can save a day!
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 06:55 The survival of Addison was a blessing for the other four students. If she didn't survive, the others leave unsettled. If they hurt, how much more is her mother? I can't imagine how her mother feel if she never survived.
I imagine the pain the family would have gone through and asking themselves "Why him/her?" Addison's survival was also the changing point of the book's pace. I'm really, really glad she survived.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Bookshelf Size: 615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Well now, that's an interesting question, and one worth contemplating. If Allison had succeeded, this book wouldn't be the book that it is. The author would have to do a heck of a lot to raise our spirits and put a positive spin on things. Similarly, you can pose similar questions about the other characters. What if Seb died before the end of the story? What if Celia was beaten senseless and ended up in the hospital? What if Damion's haters actually did something to his family by intruding upon his home? What if Allison's mother couldn't deal with everything going on and lost her marbles?
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

As much as her Addison's return helped the other four characters, it was also helpful for her. She needed that exposure to get her full recovery from the suicide attempt. So if she died, that day would have been a sad day for everyone who knew her because it will probably be the day the news will break.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 06:55 The survival of Addison was a blessing for the other four students. If she didn't survive, the others leave unsettled. If they hurt, how much more is her mother? I can't imagine how her mother feel if she never survived.
Ì agree with you. While I look at how that day positively affected the other four students, I also want to look at it for what it means for Addison.
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1723
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

Nancy004 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 11:36 If Addison hadn't made it through her difficult time and didn't come back to school on December 7th, the day in the book would have been completely different. Without her, the other characters wouldn't have experienced the positive impact of her presence. They wouldn't have been inspired to face their own struggles and grow as individuals. The relationships and interactions among the characters would have lacked the depth and growth that Addison's presence brought. Her survival and return to school were key moments that shaped the course of the story and the lives of those around her.
I completely agree with you, but this sparked a darker question for me as well. If Addison hadn't ever made a suicide attempt, what would December 7th have looked like? Addison's suicide attempt and return to school caused a domino effect that allowed the characters to build this support system and make beneficial changes in their lives. While my immediate response is that of course it would have been better if Addison had never attempted suicide, is that the case? Would Addison still be drowning in depression while no one around her was aware to provide support or get her the therapy she needed? Would Celia still be trapped in an abusive home as things are rapidly escalating? Would Avery still be unaware of her brother's child, possibly placing that child and their mother in an unsafe living environment? It messes with my brain to imagine that Addison's suicide attempt could possibly be a good thing, but it seems that it ultimately led to positive outcomes for all characters.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

It would have made a massive difference if Addison wasn't around for this day to happen. She wouldn't have had an impact on Celia to tell her story and save herself. Avery wouldn't have spoken to Damion to warn him. Booker and Hazel wouldn't have spoken and each would still feel guilty that Addison’s suicides were their fault. I did think of it's a wonderful life while reading.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

The title of the book is everything. Addison was the bright shinning star in which all other stars(characters) swimmer in. If she hadn't come back on December 7. I doubt if Celia would have turned her mother in and if Damion and Avery would have reconciled.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

The story would have been much different if Addison wasn’t there on December 7th, and it also would have been much different if any of the other main characters weren’t there or had missed school that day. If Celia hadn’t been able to sneak out of the house to make it to school before her mom woke up, she wouldn’t have had an impact on Addison or Booker. Having the chance to help Celia helped to draw Addison out of herself and make her realize that her presence matters.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”