High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny-kenneth-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu »

I think it will be very appropriate to be introduced in a high school classroom as it will expose the teenagers to a lot and teach them so much.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I see no reason why it cannot be read to teenagers. They already know about profanities and mist of them use it in their daily endeavours.
Witch Cavil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Witch Cavil »

The book is definately high school appropriate. It focues on what teenagers go through in life so it would be best for them to read.
Terrine Wild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Terrine Wild »

Seeing that the book covers the lives if high school students, I would say yes. It is suitable for high school children.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

I believe this book will help high school students to get familiar with the topic depression. It will helpful for them if they do take this topic in a good way.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Natalie_Taylor
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

Diana Lowery wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:53 As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
That is absolutely wild. I’m with you - certainly didn’t count crap as profanity, and I don’t think there was any sexual content. I thought this book was absolutely age appropriate for high schoolers. There are a lot of kids today who’ve been through similar and much worse, and this book might just let them know that they’re not alone.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is appropriate. After all, the ones suffering the most from depression and other mental health issues are the teenagers and young adults. An author in a book I recently read states how the world is fast moving and this alone is a cause of confusion. It is good for everyone to learn that they can seek help, not to suffer in silence. As for the instance of profanity, I am certain this is a word that can be encountered in other contexts, but, of course, parents or guardians will have the final vote on its appropriateness.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

It's not really bad to read this book with high school students. The book related to many events that happens to teenagers. I think the book will be of great help to them.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

I believe it's a fantastic initiative to incorporate this book into high school curriculum as it raises students' awareness of critical subjects such as suicide, family struggles, abuse, and mental health issues like depression and anxiety. Numerous high school students might be grappling with these issues personally, and facilitating open dialogues about them within the classroom setting can establish a safe environment for them to share their experiences and find help. By tackling these topics in an educational context, we play a role in fostering a society that emphasizes and places importance on the mental well-being of everyone.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Diana Lowery wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:53 As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
I suppose crap would be considered borderline profanity. As for the sexual content, there is mention of sexual abuse so that's probably why it should get marked? Idk exactly how much was there otherwise. Some kissing maybe. Definitely appropriate for teenagers.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Marie Chalupová wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 17:22
Thanks for your comment. I really liked the book.

I suppose crap would be considered borderline profanity. As for the sexual content, there is mention of sexual abuse so that's probably why it should get marked? Idk exactly how much was there otherwise. Some kissing maybe. Definitely appropriate for teenagers.
Rendell Vosson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rendell-vosson.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rendell Vosson »

Well I believe that this book would help teenagers express themselves better. It is indeed a beautiful book.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Teenagers are already neck deep in angst and it's easy to trip into the wrong road while they are trying to figure out their path. So, I think it is better to feed teenagers with awareness books.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1089
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I think the author did an excellent job of dealing with real-life issues such as drug dealing, abuse, suicide, the illness or death of a parent, mental health, and cyberbullying. Our young people face these topics every day or someone close to them is affected by one or more of them.

It is important to have a safe space where they can discuss their challenges and fears without judgment. Anxiety and stress build when there is no outlet for your emotions. Ignoring problems will not make them go away. I have a fifth-grader who brought up that their sister's best friend committed suicide in the middle of our literature class. Granted it was a small group lesson, but I was glad that he felt safe to share and we were able to empathize and offer comfort.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I think it is high school appropriate, seeing that majority has to do with high school students, they are the audience for it and also adults interested in knowing what goes on with high schoolers.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”