High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Re: High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I can't agree less with you. This book should be read by all high school students many of them are going through similar challenges discussed in this book and it would be therapeutic for them if the read this book.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I definitely think this could be read by highschool students. I think it would be beneficial for students to read, learn, and understand that they are not alone and they are heard.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 02:23
Diana Lowery wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:53 As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
I got the same rejection for that. I think it would be appropriate for young teens in High school to read the book. It makes the point of showing everyone has their own set of issues that an act of kindness could make a big difference. If Addison has not helped Celia with her hoodie, I don't think Celia would have been able to get the help she needed.
My review was also rejected because I did not list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I don't personally see that word as profanity. For me, it's not even borderline, and yet in the guidelines, it's considered major, the same as "F*ck" or "p*ss." I'm actually very confused. Where was the sexual content, too?
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

On the note of the OP I certainly think that these kinds of subjects are appropriate for high school kids to read, as unfortunately many of them are trying to navigate these very real teenage problems themselves, and it's good for them to know that they are not alone and that they are heard and understood.
Cathy Burgin
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

Having taught sociology and psychology to high school students, I think this would be a great book for students. HOWEVER, the teacher would need to have very specific supports in place. There are a number of trigger incidents in this story so it would be critical to monitor student responses and continuously provide information about where to obtain help.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Nancy004 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 11:43 I think it's a great idea to introduce this book in high school because it helps students become more aware of important topics like suicide, family issues, abuse, and mental health problems like depression and anxiety. Many students in high school might be going through these things themselves, and having open discussions about them in the classroom can make them feel safe to share their experiences and seek support. By addressing these subjects in school, we can contribute to creating a society that values and prioritizes everyone's mental well-being.
Hi Nancy, I agree with you that in addition to raising students' knowledge of important subjects like suicide, family difficulties, abuse, and mental health concerns, introducing this book in high school also acts as an effective means of encouraging empathy and understanding among the students. Young readers may build a stronger feeling of sympathy for their classmates who may be quietly dealing with similar issues by digging into the character's experiences and emotions. The book-sparked classroom conversations provide a secure environment for kids to freely disclose their personal challenges and seek assistance from both their classmates and instructors. High schools may play an important role in cultivating a caring and supportive community by removing the stigma associated with mental health and promoting open and honest interactions. Such efforts help to build a community that not only recognises but actively prioritises mental health, ensuring that every person feels appreciated, understood, and accepted in their path towards emotional and psychological progress.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Marissa Maniaci wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 19:17 My opinion is that this might be a good book to read together in a high school classroom, but maybe not as an independent reading book provided in a high school library. The sensitive topics of suicide and sexual assault deserve to be addressed, but I think they need to be discussed in a safe environment with adult guidance and support. If an entire class is reading this with accompanying activities and discussions, it can be approached in a way that ensures that students aren't triggered by the content in any way and that any arising concerns are immediately addressed. I wouldn't necessarily want a high schooler to pick this up from a library on their own without anyone to go to as they read through it. Obviously, it is different if a parent is purchasing this for their child and can be around to monitor them and support them through the reading. I just think an adult should be aware that a teen is reading this book in case it drums up questions or emotional concerns.
You bring up some excellent points for consideration.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Cathy Burgin wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 10:09 Having taught sociology and psychology to high school students, I think this would be a great book for students. HOWEVER, the teacher would need to have very specific supports in place. There are a number of trigger incidents in this story so it would be critical to monitor student responses and continuously provide information about where to obtain help.
I agree with you about the necessity of specific support for both the teacher and the students.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I agree with what most of the members are commenting, that high school kids are so much more "mature and in the know" than in the older days. There are stuff high schoolers know, that I still don't :)

Yes, the sexual content and profanities can be censored if there is a problem with that. With so many children going through depression, bullying, abuse of all kinds, etc., I do believe that this book is a must to get under the attention of them and in a way to let them know they aren't alone and there are ways out. With this, there could also be safe places created for those that are willing to come out and even need somewhere to go or talk.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

I believe it is high school appropriate. I think as a society we tend to try to shield children and do not respect their intelligence enough. For me, it's more about how the topic is spoken about than the topic itself. I think this book does a great job of talking about some serious topics in an age appropriate way for high schoolers.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Saima Rahman »

I do think this would be a helpful book for teens. Most times, they isolate when they are struggling instead of asking for help. This book is definitely going to remind them how kindness and small gestures help people in unimaginable ways.
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

Teenager of nowadays may be very overwhelming and exposed to many things and behaviors they think is normal but it isn't... So using of profaned is their thing and it's very normal
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Artificial Intelligence Simplified by Denise Rane
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I believe the book would be high school appropriate due to the topics discussed. It's basically being there for the other when they are at their lowest moments. Addison being kind despite having problems of her own and getting help from one another. It's a book that would be exciting to discuss and would be a perfect substitute for the book I read in high school😁.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Timothy Rucinski wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 14:55
Jemma Tredinnick wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 09:25
Diana Lowery wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 10:55
Thank you,
Miraculously, I was just notified that my review was published!
Strangely my review has just gone from rejected to pending. I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining. I really loved this book but I have a low rating because I didn't list any problems with it.
And yet another miracle! My review was suddenly accepted as well!
I'm really not complaining as my review was pending for ages and today I was given the opportunity to redo it and the PRQ. I listed crap as profanity this time! I also amended the review a little to add more details. I am so wary about giving away spoilers I tend to err on the side of caution making the editors concerned I don’t read the books!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Jemma Tredinnick wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 13:43
Timothy Rucinski wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 14:55
Jemma Tredinnick wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 09:25
Strangely my review has just gone from rejected to pending. I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining. I really loved this book but I have a low rating because I didn't list any problems with it.
And yet another miracle! My review was suddenly accepted as well!
I'm really not complaining as my review was pending for ages and today I was given the opportunity to redo it and the PRQ. I listed crap as profanity this time! I also amended the review a little to add more details. I am so wary about giving away spoilers I tend to err on the side of caution making the editors concerned I don’t read the books!
:congratualtions-smiley:
:tiphat: Timothy and Jemma
I hope everyone's rejected review was accepted!

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”