High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Gallagher Farm by Sara Gallagher-Beck
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 83%

Re: High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

First of all, I disagree with the word "crap" being a profane word. I read the book, and I didn't think there was any sexual content in it at all. I think that this is a perfect read for high schoolers. Believe me, they read and talk much worse then what is in this book. I thought that the book was very clean and suitable for young adults. I guess the editors feel differently. My review was just submitted, so it seems that it will be rejected. Oh, well. You can't win them all!
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

This teenager of nowadays are exposed to a lot of many things that even old people wouldn't believe of. This all is about school teaching
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

It's right that teens are exposed to many things and have more knowledge than an older generation, but this doesn't mean that it's a green card to expose them to more stuff.
What I liked the most about the book was that the author discussed the issues in a sensitive way without giving explicit details. Crap as a word is profane, even if it's usually said, especially if the book is read not only by teens but by other audiences who will appreciate marking the word.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Cathryn Gorlinsky
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathryn-gorlinsky.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cathryn Gorlinsky »

I think this would be an appropriate read for teens. I appreciate that it doesn’t romanticize suicide, and I like the realistic representation of social anxiety. I believe normalizing discussions about difficult topics prevents a lot of mental strife later down the road because these topics shouldn’t be taboo or shame-inducing.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Definitely. This book taught a lot of important things for youth, especially high schooler. A point where children began transitioning and feeling a miriad of emotions. I like the fact that the book teaches about kindness. That a single act of kindness could change a life. Instead of selfishly went on our own day, we should care more for others, because we would never know what struggles are they facing. I believe that is an important lesson that high schooler need to know as they went to adulthood.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

A high school classroom could benefit from reading it. The book promotes important discussions about mental health and suicide. Teenagers have always been more prone to mental health issues, but now are even more susceptible to them. These discussions could provide a space for meaningful discussions. In addition to reducing stigma, reading it together can encourage open communication about emotions, struggles, and seeking help.
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

I would read and discuss the content of this book with young teenagers due to the rise in the rated number of suicides in young adults across the world.
Legally, I would have to get permission granted from their parents first. The best outcome of reading this novel to the younger audience is even if only one life can be saved and spared, it was worth the explicit sexual and language context in the book.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Post by Abiodunakinola »

I think it will be better for high school classrooms to read this book because they will be encouraged that they are not alone and this will make them able to share their dark secrets.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Reading this book to teenagers is good and also important because I feel as young adults they should prepare their minds for this kind of things, of which I tknow that they are already exposed. Which is why Reading it to them will help us see their different reactions and help us guide them better.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Teenagers face these issues whether high school administration or parents admit it. Therefore, the book is appropriate to read and discuss with high schoolers. Yes, some scenes in the book are a little intense to read, but they're issues that can't be ignored.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: The Dark, The Angry, and The Cry for Hope: Poems, raps, and the appendix of the darkness by Vincent Palazzo III

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I think this book is ideal for high school. Teenagers are struggling with many things that adults cannot understand, or are not willing to share, and this book might help them realize what is happening or who needs a hand.
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

I think it's appropriate for high schoolers, and I've got to admit that I remember my high school days so vividly that asking them not to do something is going to motivate them to do it even more. But that aside, the characters, Addison and Celia, and their struggles can help a lot of confused, depressed, and angry teenagers who are going through something similar heal and grow.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

Introducing this book to high school teens would be a wonderful idea. Choosing what their future holds for them is one of the difficult issues that students typically face at this stage of their lives. They would benefit greatly from this book.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Chinenye Sus »

I completely agree with you. When we have the courage to address topics like suicide and depression openly in the classroom, without shying away from them, it becomes easier for people facing similar situations to open up. It also helps us recognize those who might be going through such challenges.
Schyk Marcus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Schyk Marcus »

It is appropriate to read thisin a classroom of older teenagers. They will relate to it and it will encourage them to speak up more. It is evident that the teenagers don't speak up and this in turn hinders them from getting the required help they need.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”