High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Re: High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Agbata Trust »

Yes this book would be highly helpful to teens at school... But then the relationship students has with the teachers should be okay for you to be able to know a child batting depression.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think we live in a time where people are exposed early on even in puberty. We can't keep shying away from this fact. I think this book would be helpful to high school teens since it focuses attention on issues that need to be discussed like mental health issues and family too. It should however be edited to be suitable for them.
Olive Uche
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Olive Uche »

Yes, the profanity and sexual content can be restricted if there is a problem. Since so many children experience sadness, bullying, abuse of many kinds, etc., I think this book is essential for drawing their attention and, in a manner, letting them know they aren't alone and that there are solutions.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

That might be a good idea. But then they have to be sure they are disposed for that. On the other issues, it's unfortunate you review got rejected. I hope you've noted the mistakes. Good luck.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I have realized that some words, which for me do not represent any type of blasphemy, in the PRQ do consider it and special detail must be taken.

I think that any kind of support, that indicates in some way how to approach certain delicate topics, or that in some way provides a testimony that can benefit someone else, is good to share, whether in a classroom or in an everyday conversation.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

The issue with the logic from some people that a book covering this content isn't appropriate for a classroom is that it's because they think the students are too young to be subjected to these issues. But the truth is that kids go through these things and need to be taught that they're not alone and shown ways they can receive and be given help. Mental health, suicide, family issues. They're very prevalent among high schoolers and to shut it out as if it's not just makes the problem worse. I'd rather learn about it in high school, then be blindsided in later life when finding myself unable to cope with, say, depression because everyone acted like it didn't exist in high school because they thought it was too "inappropriate" and our ever fragile minds couldn't handle it. The truth is life is uncomfortable and talking about it helps us find ways to enjoy it. Just saying
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

I think that the book is appropriate for High schoolers. It shows them that they are not alone. It als helps them to accept the natural conditions.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I believe it could be beneficial to utilize this book in a classroom setting to stimulate discussions about the subjects mentioned in it. Additionally, it may be helpful to offer students a way to express their thoughts without revealing their identities, so they feel free to share without fear of judgment.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I feel like this book should be read ESPECIALLY to teenagers. It deals with such important topics in such a delicate way that it's one of the best books to read to teenagers. I get that it isn't 100% pure, but that's life, and nowadays teenagers have seen and lived things that are far more important than the word "crap".
Alicia Tickler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-tickler.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Alicia Tickler »

Nancy004 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 11:43 I think it's a great idea to introduce this book in high school because it helps students become more aware of important topics like suicide, family issues, abuse, and mental health problems like depression and anxiety. Many students in high school might be going through these things themselves, and having open discussions about them in the classroom can make them feel safe to share their experiences and seek support. By addressing these subjects in school, we can contribute to creating a society that values and prioritizes everyone's mental well-being.
I absolutely agree with you. These issues certainly weren't discussed when I was high school 10-15 years ago. I think it helps to turn these experiences into a narrative that kids can relate to, or even adopt if they are not yet comfortable disclosing personal issues.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

It would be a great idea to read this book with teenagers. Growing up there have been so much pressure from school, to make mama and papa proud, social media, friend, younger sibling, sometimes I feel so lost and depressed. This book evinces so much reality and discuss topics that are relevant to an average teen. It would be quite an interesting read for them.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

The subject matter of depression and suicide is something that affects teenagers and sadly, a lot of times, they are not able to talk about it and seek counsel. So for me, it is a yes. One can provide anonymity to them to talk. I did that at a school book reading once and it was humbling. While I couldn't ask the writer of the note I got to step out, I did ask her to seek urgent counsel and the school promised to follow up.
Buikem Kasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

It is appropriate for high schoolers. In fact, this book relates to them more than any other age group. They should learn to speak up when they are feeling down.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I don't think it's only appropriate I think it should be required read. It really goes through a lot of different issues teenagers can have and shows how there is always hope and that there are people who are willing to help, just that sometimes you have to take the first step and ask for help.
Nele Ma
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nele-ma.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Nele Ma »

Introducing this book in high school is a great idea. It covers essential topics like suicide, family issues, and mental health, which many students may relate to. It can create a safe space for discussions and provide support for those in need. I agree that addressing these topics openly can make a significant difference, and this book is suitable for young teens. It's crucial for high schoolers to have access to such material, as it can provide the necessary support and guidance, and censoring rarely works with teenagers.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”