Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Re: Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

It all depends on what one finds on social media. It can be advantageous in that someone can use social media to launch a business and sell goods, or it can be instructive, motivating, etc. It can be harmful if someone uses it excessively and for the wrong purposes.
Oleabhiele Joseph
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleabhiele-joseph.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Oleabhiele Joseph »

It’s quite detrimental, on it that it has a negative effect on their attention lifespan, but it has its pros. Much like any other thing with benefits and consequences, I’d say that Social media pros outbalances it cons.
“You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 161 AD -180 AD
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

The impact of social media on youth is a complex issue. While it facilitates connectivity and information sharing, it also poses risks such as cyberbullying and mental health concerns. Striking a balance between its benefits and potential harms is crucial for fostering a healthy online environment for the younger generation.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

In as much as social media had its negatives, just like all things do, I believe it is good for our youth. The world is a global stage now, and social media has developed and continues to develop most youths.
MehulPan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehulpan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by MehulPan »

It depends on the use of it by our youth. Some skillful people are earning some fortune by showing their talents and skills on social media. That's good for our youth. However, most of the youth is busy surfing the social media sites for fun and hence, become lazy. That's bad for our youth.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

Well social media has both the positives and negatives impacts on the youths of today. For me, the key to this is finding a perfect balance, which is achieved when it is used in moderation and with awareness, social media can offer valuable opportunities for connection and learning. But it’s negative impacts can be detrimental to a person’s future and mental health.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

I don't totally agree that the prevalence of social media is detrimental to youngsters. Everything that has an advantage also has a disadvantage. While social media has caused a lot of harm to people in general, it has also some a whole lot of good.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

I really can't say yes or no, reason being that social media of today is too toxic. Also alot of positive can be learnt through social media of there is a measure by which restrictions can be placed on youth who uses the social media then it would be better.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

It's not just about youths. The prevalence of social media can be beneficial or detrimental for people of all ages, depending on how it's used.

With information overload, it's easier now than ever to be overwhelmed and feel the fear of missing out, which may directly or indirectly harm our mental health.

Honestly, I haven't read the book yet but now I'm eager to delve into it after you refer to Damion's YouTube videos and the backlash he received as a member of the Hope Squad. This is so real. There have been many times when young rising singers committed suicide after they couldn't cope with all the trolls they received online.

On the positive side, with all sorts of information at our fingertips, it's safe to say there's literally nothing we can't achieve if we have access to social media.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Social media can be a heck if people won't be thought a good way of using it.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 618
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I would say definitely not good. There's just too much they get exposed too. Except for that, cyber-bullying at this stage is much worse than normal bullying they endure in school. With school bullying it normally 'stayed' in school but now it can be spread around the world in a few clicks. This to me is definitely extra baggage on their shoulders that they shouldn't have to deal with. It's also something that can't be controlled.
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Social media can be good, bad, educative and also can be a source of getting income. So i believe it all depends on the choice of the individual. Nevertheless i still advice that parents should always try to put an eye on the younger once since they can be naive and easily corrupted by what they see.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

Social networking can be useful in some situations. Finding like-minded people is crucial when you don't fit in at your neighbourhood high school.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”