Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The author addresses the issue of social media and the effect social media platforms have on young men and women. I thought that both plusses and minuses were balanced in the book, primarily through the success demonstrated through Damion's YouTube videos and the backlash he received from haters as a member of the Hope Squad. The topic is front and center in the book, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. Do you think the author addressed the issue thoroughly and do you believe the prevalence of social media is detrimental to youngsters today?
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

I hadn't really thought about this aspect of the book but I really should have. I believe that social media could be used well by youngsters to feel connected but too often there is a dependency that spills over into everyday life. Damion's dependency on the number of likes for his videos was a good example of what students go through every day. The peer pressure is incredible and few have the mental fortitude to disregard it. I think the author did a great job showing how it is possible to get sucked in so easily.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Social media can be good or bad. It depends on what users follow or watch. But, the crucial thing is to be balanced. I'm so glad I stop scrolling down social media; thanks to Cal Newport for his book, Deep Work. I now have a much more peaceful life; a peaceful mind. Youngsters must be balanced using social media if they can't avoid it. We all know that too much of everything is bad. And a reminder that not everything you see on social media is true, many are just a show-off.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

All depends on how you use it. It can be educational if you follow the right people, it can be toxic if one is too focused on likes and followers. It can be depressing too. Just depends on the amount and the reason of usage.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

If you look at the rules those who have created social media have for their children regarding the topic, I think that tells us all we need to know about social media. I think it can be especially harmful to children because they are at such a formative part of their lives.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1723
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

I think there are many additional nuances of social media's role in teen lives that weren't discussed, but I liked the aspects that were included. As an educator, I worry about the things my students are exposed to online and on social media if their usage isn't properly monitored. A lot of the interpersonal conflicts brought to my attention stemmed from texts and social media posts, and we're in a position where we now need to mediate and do damage control. As much as I would love to say that teens should stay away from social media, I know that isn't realistic or practical. I liked that Damion's character didn't just use social media for his own entertainment and validation but as a crucial source of income for his family. While this probably isn't the case for most teens, it was enlightening to see that he wasn't in a position to ignore the online threats or remove his online presence as it was providing his mother's medical care. I guess it also shows that young creators deserve to have their art and content shared with the world just as much as adults do, and the most we can do is hope that they have a support network monitoring their online interactions and protecting them from the toxicity of strangers online.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Marissa Maniaci wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 19:12 I think there are many additional nuances of social media's role in teen lives that weren't discussed, but I liked the aspects that were included. As an educator, I worry about the things my students are exposed to online and on social media if their usage isn't properly monitored. A lot of the interpersonal conflicts brought to my attention stemmed from texts and social media posts, and we're in a position where we now need to mediate and do damage control. As much as I would love to say that teens should stay away from social media, I know that isn't realistic or practical. I liked that Damion's character didn't just use social media for his own entertainment and validation but as a crucial source of income for his family. While this probably isn't the case for most teens, it was enlightening to see that he wasn't in a position to ignore the online threats or remove his online presence as it was providing his mother's medical care. I guess it also shows that young creators deserve to have their art and content shared with the world just as much as adults do, and the most we can do is hope that they have a support network monitoring their online interactions and protecting them from the toxicity of strangers online.
I was pleased to hear a response from an educator's perspective. I'm lucky in that at my age, my children are long past the point where social media can get under their skin. But from what I hear and see around me, I'm concerned that our teenagers are being inundated with this stuff, and unfortunately, not necessarily with positive outcomes. Yet I agree with you that given the right circumstances, the young creators may find their personal niche in an environment totally alien to many of us oldsters and, subsequently, excel.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I'm not sure if the author covered social media thoroughly but she did highlight key issues. Social media can be such a good thing in communicating, linking with like-minded people, and sharing messages of good. However, there is the nasty side with the ability to invisibly bully someone. The caution is gone when they are hidden behind a screen. Also, I think there is an in-between issue: people post the best version if themselves which creates a need to keep up with the jones’s effect. This may be in terms of monetary possessions, but it can also be emotionally due to comparing yourself with what you see - someone has a boyfriend, someone's had a promotion, someone's travelling again. If you don't know you are looking at BS or that the rest of that person’s life may be falling apart you can believe your life is going wrong. I think that needs to be included in any education around social media before we let our children loose.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Like Glass
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 96%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I think the maturity of the individual child needs to be taken into consideration. I also believe that parents should monitor their child's online activity and limit screen time. Too often cyberbullying occurs and that can have a negative impact on a person's self-esteem and self-worth.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Julie Basil »

I think that the time period of a single day makes it difficult for the author to thoroughly address the issues of social media for young people. She does a great job of showing the positive and negative effects of it, as you noted, but it is not a main focus of the novel. I think that social media can be detrimental because it can give people the impression of connection with others, even when that connection is not there outside of social media. Social media can also become very consuming for young people and older people alike, taking away from time they might otherwise spend interacting with people around them.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

The influence of social media can be shaped by individuals' unique choices and interests. Nevertheless, achieving equilibrium in its usage remains paramount. The transformative power of Cal Newport's book, Deep Work, enabled me to escape the endless cycle of social media scrolling, gifting me with a more tranquil and focused life. It's essential for young users to cultivate a balanced approach when engaging with social media, acknowledging that excessive indulgence in anything can have adverse effects. Striving for moderation will lead to a healthier digital lifestyle and greater well-being.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Social media is good depending on how you use. I can't see myself leaving social media God help me. I relieve stress using social media.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: Behind The Wheel Tips by Raoul Watson

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

This topic is very controversial. Social media is good for the youth. But every good thing would always have it's own bad sides I think that's also the issue with it.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I feel that social media has had a negative impact on the general population, with teens getting hit the most. The fake world they live in online leads to poor choices and many times they say things that they would never have said in person. This freedom to say things without the physical and emotional cues one would have in person is leading to stunted development on many different levels. The lack of compassion scares me the most.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

As with everything else in life, balance is the answer. However, teenagers are at an age when they see things in either black or white and pass through multiple existential crises. Considering how fragile they are, social media has a more negative rather than positive effect on them. All of us had better re-learn to reconnect in real life.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”