Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Cathy Burgin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Re: Social Media - Good for Our Youth or Not?

Post by Cathy Burgin »

Social media requires a certain level of maturity for young people to safely navigate the various platforms. Young people with depression or other mental health issues can easily be caught up in a negative spiral. Others can benefit from information and connecting with family in friends in a positive manner.

As long as parents are monitoring the general mental health of their children, use of social media can be positive. Unfortunately many users get caught up in the negativity.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 622
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

To be honest I think social media is just extra weight on teenagers' shoulders. Most teens are already bullied at school, where it's just contained at the school and the students. Cyber bullying however is a much bigger audience which means that a teen not only now have to 'fight' through it at school but also 'fight' someone they don't even know.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Excessive social media usage, particularly before night, may alter sleep patterns and result in sleep deprivation, both of which can have a poor influence on general well-being and cognitive performance. Young users may also be unaware of the significance of privacy settings and online safety, rendering them vulnerable to online predators and possible abuse. It is crucial to emphasise that the influence of social media varies greatly amongst people, and not everyone suffers bad repercussions.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 18:09 I think the maturity of the individual child needs to be taken into consideration. I also believe that parents should monitor their child's online activity and limit screen time. Too often cyberbullying occurs and that can have a negative impact on a person's self-esteem and self-worth.
Hi Stephanie, I would like to add that open conversation between parents and children about their online experiences may assist in building trust and encourage kids to seek help or advice if they face cyberbullying or other troubling circumstances. Equipping children with digital literacy and encouraging responsible internet usage equips them to navigate the online world successfully and securely while also nurturing positive self-esteem and a strong sense of self-worth in the face of possible hurdles.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I thought Julie Wright balanced the for and against social media for young people very well. It's such a slippery slope, though. We can't stop our kids from accessing social media, as that's where all their friends are. but we must monitor their usage. Children and teens often use social media as a way to express how they're feeling so be sure to read their posts and look for any direct or indirect cries for help.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Sheen Jenny »

It's a complicated question, because social media can have both positive and negative effects on today's youth. On the positive side, social media can be a great way to connect with others, share information, and express oneself creatively. It can also be a useful tool for learning and for keeping up with the latest news and trends. However, there are also some potential negative effects of social media. For example, it can be a source of cyberbullying, and it can also lead to feelings of FOMO (fear of missing out) and anxiety.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I believe the book balanced it out accordingly and that social media has good and bad aspects. How you use it, is which depends on which side of the good or bad you are at. Overuse or even addiction to being on social media is bad, and there are loads of criminals hiding in plain sight. There are still a lot of homes and schools where certain topics are taboo or forbidden, and in today's world I do believe that everything should be out in the open to be discussed with someone where you feel safe. If you don't have that, the internet/social media platform can be a huge help and eye-opener.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Timothy Rucinski wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 15:14 The author addresses the issue of social media and the effect social media platforms have on young men and women. I thought that both plusses and minuses were balanced in the book, primarily through the success demonstrated through Damion's YouTube videos and the backlash he received from haters as a member of the Hope Squad. The topic is front and center in the book, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. Do you think the author addressed the issue thoroughly and do you believe the prevalence of social media is detrimental to youngsters today?
Absolutely, the way the author handles the topic of social media in "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright is really good. The book shows both the good and bad sides of how social media affects young people. It's nicely balanced, like when Damion becomes successful with his YouTube videos but also has to deal with negative comments as part of the Hope Squad. The book talks about social media a lot, but it doesn't take over the whole story.

Now, whether social media is bad for young people nowadays, it's not a simple answer. Social media can be good for making friends and sharing things, like Damion's videos. But it also has problems like cyberbullying and people comparing themselves to others too much. The book shows some of these problems through Damion's experiences. So, it's really about how we use social media and how we handle its challenges that decide if it's bad or not. The book helps us think about all of this and what social media means for young people today.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1020
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

That’s a really difficult question. I use social media and receive my share of hurtful comments, but I am old enough that I don’t really let them bother me. For a high school kid, however, they are just not mature enough to letother’s opinions of them slide off their backs, for the most part. On the other hand, I live far away from where I grew up and social media helps me keep up with the news. Our youth don’t usually have that problem. So, in answer to your question, it depends. Iknow that wasn’t what you were looking for.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Looking at the positive side of it... It's amazing but it needs a lot of regulations
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

It matters on how that youth gonna use social media and what benefits will he get in return and also any youth should have a guider who can help
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I think the way social media is used nowadays is more harmful than useful to teenagers and adults alike. The amount of time lost and the influence it has on their lives is scary. It literally rules teenagers' society and social status in an unhealthy way. I think the author was smart to include this issue in the manner she did in her book.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Cathryn Gorlinsky
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathryn-gorlinsky.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cathryn Gorlinsky »

I think Damion's YouTube presence and the anonymous bullying he received was only the tip of the iceberg as far as what young adults are experiencing today. I don't think the author addressed the influence and hazards of social media thoroughly, but I also didn't expect it, and I think that it could have taken away from the novel to do so.

Young adults today were exposed to social media platforms as kids, but they most likely didn't have parents who grew up with it and could offer guidance to navigate it and engage with it in a healthy manner. I'm cautiously optimistic that newer generations will have more insight on managing a digital presence.
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

I liked the way the author approached this topic, because, as you said, it wasn't overwhelming, but also wasn't ignored. For me, though, we are not in a position to question whether social media is good or bad, in general, anymore. It is already a crucial part of this generation's life. However, we should question the limits that should be posed, thinking about age, time of usage, and even the access social media companies have to our lives.
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

Julie Basil wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 21:07 I think that the time period of a single day makes it difficult for the author to thoroughly address the issues of social media for young people. She does a great job of showing the positive and negative effects of it, as you noted, but it is not a main focus of the novel. I think that social media can be detrimental because it can give people the impression of connection with others, even when that connection is not there outside of social media. Social media can also become very consuming for young people and older people alike, taking away from time they might otherwise spend interacting with people around them.
The thing about the illusion of connection is such a good point! The sociologist Zygmunt Bauman talks about it in his work "Liquid Modernity", which describes how human bonds in the internet era are so volatile.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”