Hurt people … help people?

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Icon Re: Hurt people … help people?

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

:clap: Addison helping Celia...Avery helping Jo and baby Tyler...her dad coming around so quickly to embrace his grandson...all good examples. I thought of Celia (hurting) helping herself by talking to the school counselor. Booker helps Seb by shaving his head in solidarity for Seb's cancer and upcoming chemo, and having the party for them to engage in said head shaving. Damion takes Addison to the party. There are so many examples in the book. Addison helps her share of people without realizing it, such as Celia and Damion, on one of the most stressful days since her suicide attempt.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

Hurt people go one of two ways. Either they understand the pain, become very empathetic and help others. Or they become angry and lash out at others.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Hurting people helps makes them see the kind of people they associate with. It is so painful when you are the victim. The betrayal is far beyond what we can think of. It's best to treat people how we want to be treated.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Hurting people helps makes them see the kind of people they associate with. It is so painful when you are the victim. The betrayal is far beyond what we can think of. It's best to treat people how we want to be treated.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

I was pleasantly surprised by Damion's character; he had more depth than I initially expected. His loyalty to his mom and the rekindling of his friendship with Avery, as you pointed out, were commendable. I couldn't help but feel sympathy for him when he was targeted by online trolls
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Avery confronted Damion about his failure to take action in assisting a girl who nearly lost her life to suicide. Damion had no prior connection with this girl, but he was part of a council responsible for preventing such situations and aiding in the recovery of students in need. Damion, in an attempt to shield himself from the hurtful comments made by his detractors, suspected Avery of being behind the anonymous negativity. However, as Damion investigated further and reached out, he successfully mended his relationship with Avery.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I will talk about Damion and Avery. Damien did a lot to help Avery and the help was reciprocated. It showed kindness from the heart and Avery was glad to help Damion also.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

A lot of people here state that ones who are bullied turn to bullies because they don't want to be bullied as well. It is true. This reminds me of Milgram experiment. The experiment demonstrated that under dire circumstances anyone was capable of extreme cruelty.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ruby Allman
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruby-allman.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ruby Allman »

Although people who are hurt may hurt others, I find that those who have been hurt usually are kinder. Their suffering enables them to see and feel the pain of others.
Jelly Dee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhiambo-samora.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jelly Dee »

In this world people hurt each other in a daily basi but what's important is forgiveness and forget the past
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Ruby Allman wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 18:10 Although people who are hurt may hurt others, I find that those who have been hurt usually are kinder. Their suffering enables them to see and feel the pain of others.
Yes, empathy is one of the things we can learn from being hurt. Hopefully, we will not be as quick to judge others because we cannot know what they have been through.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

I don't necessarily believe that hurt people hurt people. I think people can be spiteful, even hurtful just because they can. When we say hurt people hurt people, it makes us sympathose with bullies, so removing them from their actions entirely.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I think it varies from one person to another. Some people will hurt others because they have been hurt. There are people who will help out people who are hurting because they don't want others to go through the same.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I think it depends on character, but also on the kind of hurt someone has been inflicted. For example, being hurt a lot as a child can make you vengeful or kinder, but I think when it comes to physical hurt, it can only make you kinder. psychological hurt, however? that's a tough one. You never know what playing with someone's mind can do in the long run.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”