The Grownups

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Re: The Grownups

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I really liked how Addison's mother instantly believed her and tried to do her best to erase everything from ever happening because she believed that was the best for her. Going to the point of moving away bit barely anything and not allowing any man in their life. She also always tried to not show her tears in front of her daughter. Maybe her method didn't work the best but it came from a lot of love and self-sacrifice.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 01:22 I think Addison’s mum did a good job in trying not to smother Addison. She was worried to death but tried to allow Addison to take back control of her life while bending over backwards to be a support net.
Kigen Valarie wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 12:16 In the book, I love how Addison's mother tried her best to be supportive. We cannot be perfect. She tried her best being there for her and even taking her to school when she was running late for work. In my life as at the moment I can't think of an exceptional moment but I know there are. However, as an adult I doubt if I'm handling things as required but it's okay anyway. I believe we learn as we grow.
Buikem Kasia wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 00:36 I admired how strong Addison's mother was throughout the entire ordeal. I can't imagine how bad she felt after her daughter attempted to end her life.
Marie Chalupová wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 16:01 I really liked how Addison's mother instantly believed her and tried to do her best to erase everything from ever happening because she believed that was the best for her. Going to the point of moving away bit barely anything and not allowing any man in their life. She also always tried to not show her tears in front of her daughter. Maybe her method didn't work the best but it came from a lot of love and self-sacrifice.
I admired Addison’s mom too. As a parent, you want to keep your children from getting hurt, and it is devastating to find out they are not safe around those you trusted.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny-kenneth-ezeanwu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nonny Kenneth Ezeanwu »

RJ Reviews wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 12:48 Sometimes, keeping things from children is important to protect their innocence. Not all children can handle the stressful news of an impending death. They may feel helpless and depressed.
Some children are capable of handling such situations with composure and thus it should be the grown-ups job to assess the child and determine the course of action.
This is so true. Most children's minds are still fragile and sensitive information like that informing of death should be kept from them to protect them.
Witch Cavil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Witch Cavil »

I sympathize with Avery's father. It must not have been easy living knowing that your son is in jail. It is a very difficult situation.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

Celia's mother is an example of the opposite, being neglectful and abusive and allowing her boyfriend to burn her with cigarettes. Addison's mother did an excellent job, I think, of balancing her concern with letting Addison work it out. And of course, Avery's dad accepting his new not-quite daughter-in-law and grandchild was just superb! It was unfortunate that having Alzheimer's so young, Damion's mom couldn't be there for him. What was there for him was his notoriety on YouTube because of his creativity. He was so protective of his mother that he didn't want anyone to know where he lived.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 16:33 When I was sixteen, my father died of lung cancer. They kept the fact that he had terminal cancer from me. I thought he was in the hospital for pneumonia, so he died, and I never got to sit down and talk with him. I wasn't prepared for his death and that he was never coming home again. I held a grudge against my family for a long time.
I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope that over time you have made your peace with the rest of your family and come to terms with the loss of your father.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

In my immediate circle I do not remember or know of anyone who has suffered from a really serious illness. On the other hand, due to misinformation, and listening to what they will say (gossip) of third parties, if they have believed they have diseases such as cancer before making a medical diagnosis. That is why I always advise anyone who is going through any illness to always go to professionals to evaluate them.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Protecting our children no matter the condition should be the first aim of a parent. Parents are meant to protect their children from some things they don't know about. If the grownups fail to do this they have literally failed their children. For a bright future protect your kids at all cost.
Oscar Zereta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-zereta.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oscar Zereta »

Protecting our children no matter the condition should be the first aim of a parent. Parents are meant to protect their children from some things they don't know about. If the grownups fail to do this they have literally failed their children. For a bright future protect your kids at all cost.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

Transparency within families is crucial because it's the foundation for being supportive. My mom has a heart condition, so she has good days and bad days, but she often hides her sickness, which is frustrating because I want to be there for her when she needs me.
Rendell Vosson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rendell-vosson.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rendell Vosson »

Adults keep stuff like that away from children to protect them. I don't blame them vecause they are doing what they feel is best for the children.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1086
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

Much like Addison’s mom, my mother chose to ignore or bury things that happened in our home. She adopted the “If we don’t talk about it, it didn’t happen” motto. Maybe that was generational, but I worked hard to ensure my kids knew they could talk about everything with me.

I really admired Avery’s father. Although Tyler had repeatedly made poor choices, his father made the right decision to accept Jo and baby Tyler. He made a quick choice with grace and compassion. As my dad always said, “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” I believe he would have regretted kicking them out, had he gone that route.
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 16:33 When I was sixteen, my father died of lung cancer. They kept the fact that he had terminal cancer from me. I thought he was in the hospital for pneumonia, so he died, and I never got to sit down and talk with him. I wasn't prepared for his death and that he was never coming home again. I held a grudge against my family for a long time.

I am very sorry that you had to go through that. I have been in a similar situation and till date, I can't comfortably talk about that. They kept saying, they thought they were doing the best for me.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

I think why parents keep the severity of their children’s illness away from other people is mostly because the want to protect the child’s emotional health. They might want to maintain a sense of normalcy and reduce fear or anxiety in the child. Or it could simply because they value their privacy and prefer not to disclose personal or sensitive information about their child's health to others.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”