Fantasy/Paranormal Book Discussion (July '23)

For July 2023, we will be reading fantasy/paranormal books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 560
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Fantasy/Paranormal Book Discussion (July '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For this month's genre discussion, we are reading books in the fantasy/paranormal genre. What is the difference between the two? Is there one?

Fantasy: This genre is when stories are set in the real world and the fantasy aspects are just that - fantasy. Those magical creatures aren't meant to be real and aren't part of every day life for everyone. It questions what would happen if the supernatural were real (i.e. what if werewolves were real?).

Paranormal: This genre is when stories have magical creatures as part of their "normal" every day experiences. There is no question if vampires are real, they just are.

Here are some guiding discussion questions:

- What book did you read or are currently reading?

- Did you read a fantasy book or a paranormal one? How could you tell?

- Do you feel the author portrayed the genre, fantasy or paranormal, well?

- Were there other genres woven within the story? Which one(s)?

- Share your favorite and least favorite parts of the book.

- Please share your rating and recommendation.

Remember these are just guiding questions. If there is something else you would rather share, then please do!
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 13:55 For this month's genre discussion, we are reading books in the fantasy/paranormal genre. What is the difference between the two? Is there one?

Fantasy: This genre is when stories are set in the real world and the fantasy aspects are just that - fantasy. Those magical creatures aren't meant to be real and aren't part of every day life for everyone. It questions what would happen if the supernatural were real (i.e. what if werewolves were real?).

Paranormal: This genre is when stories have magical creatures as part of their "normal" every day experiences. There is no question if vampires are real, they just are.

Here are some guiding discussion questions:

- What book did you read or are currently reading?

- Did you read a fantasy book or a paranormal one? How could you tell?

- Do you feel the author portrayed the genre, fantasy or paranormal, well?

- Were there other genres woven within the story? Which one(s)?

- Share your favorite and least favorite parts of the book.

- Please share your rating and recommendation.

Remember these are just guiding questions. If there is something else you would rather share, then please do!

Hey Heidi! I'm glad you already posted for this month's discussion:D I can't wait to share with you and everybody what I'm Currently Reading!

Last month, I read two books which is The School For Good and Evil by Soman Chainani and Paws for Thought by Shirley Day. Both of the books I enjoyed reading them and I was lucky! So, for this month I read 2 books as usual and I also joined some reading challenges. I read book 2 of the series of The School for Good and Evil which is The World Without Princes. And the other one is also a series which is Into the Wild by Erin Hunter, I guess that book is about cats. I read Fantasy books for now but I haven't read a Paranormal book yet but after I finished reading my book, I'm going to read a book about Paranormal. Both of the authors portrayed the genre well including the world without princes because it was really set in a fantasy world. In Into the Wild, not only fantasy but also adventure, cats, and animals. I haven't decided yet what part of the book is my least favorite but soon, I guess until I finished reading my books😊😊
Cathy Burgin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

I’ve decided to read the Witches of Hollow Cove Series. It’s a 14 book series and I am on book 7. It is definitely a paranormal series that is set in a paranormal town. These people go about their daily lives and try to keep the outsiders unaware of their existence.

Kim Richardson does a great job of making all the characters unique and yet somehow realistic.

Tessa Davenport has returned to Hollow Cove to join her 3 aunts (White witches) as Merlins, an investigative unit of the governing body of witches. Her aunts remind me of the Golden Girls with their personalities and interests.

The romantic interest involves the local law enforcement and is a wereape. One best friend that is a Dark witch, and the other is half vampire. The mayor is an owl shifter and there are many other paranormals in the stories. Of course, the house is enchanted.

Spoiler Alert: Tesse’s Dad is a demon. This makes Tesse a Shadow witch that can use both White magic and Dark magic.

The stories are a combination of mystery, humor, and a bit of hot romance thrown in. I find myself laughing at various points in the books.

I love the characters and their reactions to the challenges they face. Tesse’s core group work together to resolve issues and solve crimes. I some times feel the former girlfriend of the wereape romantic issue could be left out because she distracts from the resolution of the problem being solved. Overall there is much more to like than dislike about the series.

If you want a book that can be read in a few hours and is for entertainment without deep meaning you might enjoy this series. The first book is not the best because the characters build as the stories go on.
Heidi M Simone
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 20:31 Hey Heidi! I'm glad you already posted for this month's discussion:D I can't wait to share with you and everybody what I'm Currently Reading!

Last month, I read two books which is The School For Good and Evil by Soman Chainani and Paws for Thought by Shirley Day. Both of the books I enjoyed reading them and I was lucky! So, for this month I read 2 books as usual and I also joined some reading challenges. I read book 2 of the series of The School for Good and Evil which is The World Without Princes. And the other one is also a series which is Into the Wild by Erin Hunter, I guess that book is about cats. I read Fantasy books for now but I haven't read a Paranormal book yet but after I finished reading my book, I'm going to read a book about Paranormal. Both of the authors portrayed the genre well including the world without princes because it was really set in a fantasy world. In Into the Wild, not only fantasy but also adventure, cats, and animals. I haven't decided yet what part of the book is my least favorite but soon, I guess until I finished reading my books😊😊
Thank you for sharing!

I think I've heard of Erin Hunter before. I used to be a school teacher, before becoming a stay-at-mom, and I'm pretty sure the Warriors series by Erin Hunter was one that one of my students really loved. I think it's awesome how much you enjoy reading books with cats in them! :D
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Cathy Burgin wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 13:58 I’ve decided to read the Witches of Hollow Cove Series. It’s a 14 book series and I am on book 7. It is definitely a paranormal series that is set in a paranormal town. These people go about their daily lives and try to keep the outsiders unaware of their existence.

Kim Richardson does a great job of making all the characters unique and yet somehow realistic.

Tessa Davenport has returned to Hollow Cove to join her 3 aunts (White witches) as Merlins, an investigative unit of the governing body of witches. Her aunts remind me of the Golden Girls with their personalities and interests.

The romantic interest involves the local law enforcement and is a wereape. One best friend that is a Dark witch, and the other is half vampire. The mayor is an owl shifter and there are many other paranormals in the stories. Of course, the house is enchanted.

Spoiler Alert: Tesse’s Dad is a demon. This makes Tesse a Shadow witch that can use both White magic and Dark magic.

The stories are a combination of mystery, humor, and a bit of hot romance thrown in. I find myself laughing at various points in the books.

I love the characters and their reactions to the challenges they face. Tesse’s core group work together to resolve issues and solve crimes. I some times feel the former girlfriend of the wereape romantic issue could be left out because she distracts from the resolution of the problem being solved. Overall there is much more to like than dislike about the series.

If you want a book that can be read in a few hours and is for entertainment without deep meaning you might enjoy this series. The first book is not the best because the characters build as the stories go on.
I haven't heard of this series, but I'm adding to be tbr list! Paranormal creatures in a paranormal town sounds like fun! A wereape? I've never heard of that. Werewolf? Sure. But a wereape? Now, I'm just curious. I do like when characters are shifters and I love that you are able to laugh at certain points!

I'll remember the first one isn't the best, but I do want to give this series a try!

Thank you for sharing!
Cathy Burgin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

Heidi,
He’s a silverback guerrilla.
Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 12:36
Rosesbookpicks wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 20:31 Hey Heidi! I'm glad you already posted for this month's discussion:D I can't wait to share with you and everybody what I'm Currently Reading!

Thank you for sharing!

I think I've heard of Erin Hunter before. I used to be a school teacher, before becoming a stay-at-mom, and I'm pretty sure the Warriors series by Erin Hunter was one that one of my students really loved. I think it's awesome how much you enjoy reading books with cats in them! :D
You're welcome! I'm happy to help:) I have two weeks left before the end of July and soon it was going to be August!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Cathy Burgin wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:16 Heidi,
He’s a silverback guerrilla.
That is fascinating. I like the creativity behind a wereape!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 00:17

Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome! I'm happy to help:) I have two weeks left before the end of July and soon it was going to be August!
I know! Time is flying right by. I did start my fantasy book. I hope I'm able to finish it before the end of the month!
Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 12:58

Thank you for sharing!

I know! Time is flying right by. I did start my fantasy book. I hope I'm able to finish it before the end of the month!
Yeah! It's fast how time flies. I'm glad you started your new fantasy book and yeah I hope you finish reading it soon:)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 04:41
Heidi M Simone wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 12:58

Yeah! It's fast how time flies. I'm glad you started your new fantasy book and yeah I hope you finish reading it soon:)
Thank you! No such luck, unfortunately. My goal is to finish this month, though!

Return to “July 2023 Genre Discussion”