Summer reading check-in (July '23)

For July 2023, we will be reading fantasy/paranormal books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 560
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Summer reading check-in (July '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

How's your summer reading going so far? Are you reading as much as you would have hoped or is life distracting you?

How many books have you read so far and how many would you like to read for the summer?

Are you participating in any summer reading programs at your local library?

:reading-4:
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

My summer reading is going great so far! I recently joined the Indie Horror Brawl challenge and that has really kept me motivated over the last couple of months. Due to the challenge, I've also discovered some now horror authors that I love!
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:01 How's your summer reading going so far? Are you reading as much as you would have hoped or is life distracting you?

How many books have you read so far and how many would you like to read for the summer?

My summer reading is good and it was really exciting! I made plans for my summer like going to a birthday party for my friend. I've been busy for a while but since June is already finished, I am not quite busy as usual. I am reading as much as I can and when I'm bored, I spend my time reading or bonding with my friends and family. I've read 23 books so far and I hoped I read more books:) I want to read 2 books as usual for a month but since I am not busy, I think 3 books. Yeah! Of course, I found at our local library that they have summer reading programs and I thought I want to volunteer. They called it summer reading camp and they are free and they are in every city. I was interested to join and I did because I want to help children to read and improve their reading skills! I also improved a bit because I also started to join seminars and it was free! I love it because seminars gave me information and it was really fun and interesting to learn some new things! I love to be not busy because I have a lot of things to do in my free time:) I also joined activities including ocean activities like Shark Awareness Day where I learn to discover kinds of sharks. It was scary because I don't like sharks but the more I found out about them, I have a fun time discovering them. I also clean the ocean in our city and I had time to make friends and also to help our ocean! and yeah, I had a very fun time:)
Margot13
Currently Reading: Demon Copperhead
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Margot13 »

Hello from a new member. Summer reading has been productive, having completed David Grann’s The
Wager, The Wild Hunt by Emma Seckel, and Home by Harlan Coben. Next weekend I will be conducting a workshop on indigo dyeing and a book group discussion of The Indigo Girl, by Natasha Boyd, to be held at my local book store. Books make every day better!
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Such a humorous and interesting book I'm enjoying it so much!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Heidi M Simone
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 23:29
Heidi M Simone wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 13:01 How's your summer reading going so far? Are you reading as much as you would have hoped or is life distracting you?

My summer reading is good and it was really exciting! I made plans for my summer like going to a birthday party for my friend. I've been busy for a while but since June is already finished, I am not quite busy as usual. I am reading as much as I can and when I'm bored, I spend my time reading or bonding with my friends and family. I've read 23 books so far and I hoped I read more books:) I want to read 2 books as usual for a month but since I am not busy, I think 3 books. Yeah! Of course, I found at our local library that they have summer reading programs and I thought I want to volunteer. They called it summer reading camp and they are free and they are in every city. I was interested to join and I did because I want to help children to read and improve their reading skills! I also improved a bit because I also started to join seminars and it was free! I love it because seminars gave me information and it was really fun and interesting to learn some new things! I love to be not busy because I have a lot of things to do in my free time:) I also joined activities including ocean activities like Shark Awareness Day where I learn to discover kinds of sharks. It was scary because I don't like sharks but the more I found out about them, I have a fun time discovering them. I also clean the ocean in our city and I had time to make friends and also to help our ocean! and yeah, I had a very fun time:)
I'm glad your summer reading is going well! I like the goal of reading 2 books per month. I might adopt this for myself to keep track of my reading since it has dwindled a fair amount. It's great that you volunteered at your local library and that you participated in Shark Awareness Day! Ocean cleanup? That's amazing! Thank you for contributing so positively in your community! It's even better that you had fun helping and learning. :)

Thank you for sharing!
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Margot13 wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 13:33 Hello from a new member. Summer reading has been productive, having completed David Grann’s The
Wager, The Wild Hunt by Emma Seckel, and Home by Harlan Coben. Next weekend I will be conducting a workshop on indigo dyeing and a book group discussion of The Indigo Girl, by Natasha Boyd, to be held at my local book store. Books make every day better!
Welcome to OBC! :text-welcomewave:

Great work on reading several books so far! I love that your conducting an indigo dyeing workshop and discussing The Indigo Girl at your local bookstore. What a great way to be spending your summer! I agree, book do make every day better! :D

I'll be curious to hear what your thoughts are about The Indigo Girl!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nimra Kiran wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 02:39 I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Such a humorous and interesting book I'm enjoying it so much!
That's awesome! I haven't actually read this one, even though I feel like it's one of those books that I should have at this point. :lol:

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Return to “July 2023 Genre Discussion”