Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Otwane Obunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-otwane-obunga.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Post by Brian Otwane Obunga »

This book deserves a higher rating as it work as an educational object to doctors and even patients
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

This is clearly a book of testimony and motivation. It's also a book filled with information on cancers like neuroblastoma, leukemia, and so on. Reading this book can also give hope to some parents who are facing a similar situation as the Ungers. I liked how honest the author was with their situation. He did not try to sugarcoat or overpraise anyone. He was also very informative about the medical procedures and medical professionals in the field.
Mara Valentina
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-valentina.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Mara Valentina »

This is a non-fiction book the author's son, Louis, who was diagnosed with stage 4 high-risk neuroblastoma at the age of three. The book chronicles Louis's treatment and recovery, and it also discusses the history of childhood cancer research and treatment. The book has been praised for its honesty and emotional impact. The book is also a testament to the power of hope and resilience. I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The sample was full of emotions that made my heart heavy. I could not read the book, but I can say that narrating the experience with the amount of emotions, whether sadness or hope, makes for a brave combination and highlights health care and its availability.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

This is an excellent read on the power to never give up. What I liked the most in it is the details and engaging narration; there was nothing that I disliked about it. The sentences in "First Survivor" flow smoothly and I found its strength in the real-life story it tells. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone needing to be recharged emotionally: the book is truly about love and its power to move mountains for our loved ones.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

Heartbreaking, and made me teary a couple of times. How the author managed to string words together like this, talking about such hard topic was applauded. I loved most aspect of it, how it was organised, and how it flowed with its easy-to-read sentences. I would rate it five out of five stars. I would recommend it to anyone really, but who are not faint-hearted.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

The poignant and endearing story of the book transports the reader to a family's struggle against the deadly enemy known as glioblastoma. It's a tale of steadfast resolve, remarkable for the bravery and resiliency of their young boy, and highlighting the critical importance of unwavering family support. Anyone looking for encouragement in the face of hardship should read Unger's story since it not only sheds light on the medical aspects of their struggle but also delves deeply into the human spirit.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I would say the book gave honest opinions on cancer and the breakthrough process. It was so emotional reading about the victim and I hope solutions keeps coming forth for cancer cases.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

This book was inspirational and heartbreaking at the same time. As a grandmother with a granddaughter with a rare disease it brings me to my knees to think of children going through such a horrible ordeal. My heart goes out to the mother.
Brian Otwane Obunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-otwane-obunga.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Brian Otwane Obunga »

I will always advocate for highest rating of this book as it is a very educative and amazing book
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I'm not going to lie, this book was rough for me. I couldn't begin to imagine or even try to empathize since I am not a mother, but this book was heartbreaking. I thought the book was a 5 out of 5.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I found the book inspiring. I do not know anybody who has had cancer but I do know a few people who have suffered from life-threatening diseases. I believe this book will be a source of hope. I found some of the experiences shared a bit sad and I hope there is better to come for the world at large in the future.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

This book was ingredible. I do not know any children right now who are battling cancer, but I know quite a few friends that are struggling with it. Being a mother of two and a grandmother of four, I simply cannot imaging one of them getting cancer and going through all of the procedures that go along with it. I give credit to those who bust right through it and bravely make it to the other side. The healthy side.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”