Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Post by Yasmine M »

The book is well-written. It is informative, non-fictional, a memoir, and so much more. The book focuses on narrating a succession of events from the time young Louis was diagnosed to the time he was finally cleared. The author kept it informative regarding the medical procedures and the family's experience with the healthcare system. He made it engaging by sharing his own notes, and by including his wife, and Louis' brother voices as well. But I realize that there is still a lot that stayed behind the curtain. For example towards the end, there is a part where it is revealed that Louis remembers accepting treatments when his mother offered rewards. I wondered how hard it was for this 3 - 4 years old every time, to go through treatments. How did he deal with the 'so many' long stay in hospital? He must have been restless and agitated. I guess his father/the author did not want to make this a sad story. He mostly focused on the medical aspects and showed how they were getting their strength.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I found this book to be both inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time. I related so much to Mary Ellen and her struggle and the fact that she couldn't give up because if she does, everything around her will fall apart. Perhaps it was her faith in God and her perseverance that allowed her son to survive. An undisputed 5 out of 5 stars!
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Courage is required when reading this book where Mark invites you to share in the pain his family endures when his three-year-old is diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer. Reading it isn't easy; it can be heart-wrenching at times. The emotions portrayed are genuine and unfiltered, which enriches the storytelling. What I appreciated was the book's informative nature. Furthermore, the author humanizes the dedicated medical professionals who tirelessly strive to save lives. I admired how the author also enlightens readers about patient rights and the importance of advocating for oneself. It's a truly inspirational read.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

This book stirred up so many emotions in me especially that of compassion and sympathy. It showcases strength, courage, hope and determination in the time of difficulty. This book had help me appreciate my health the more and feel sympathy for those going through any health challenge. Parents too have my love. I recommend this book to anyone facing any form of challenge and needs to be inspired.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: Tomboy GIGI and the fugitive by Darryl Barnes

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Mary Ellen's unwavering faith, determination, and the weight of responsibility resonated deeply with me, highlighting how her resilience was crucial for her son's survival amidst adversity.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I did follow the book with a keen attention since I know what it was to lose a family member to cancer. It was hard in some instances anyway but I think it's a book for a lot of people. I will rate it five out of five stars and would recommend it to people in similar situations.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Book's touching and heartwarming narrative takes reader on an emotional journey through a family battle against glioblastoma, a formidable adversary. It's a story marked by unwavering determination, showcasing the incredible resilience and courage of their young son, all the while emphasizing the pivotal role of unwavering family support. Unger's storytelling not only provides insight into the medical aspects of their challenge but also touches the depths of human spirit, making it a must-read for anyone seeking inspiration in the face of adversity.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Post by Jane Honda »

It's was difficult to read due to how emotional the read was. I also love how the narrative style of the book was it was very easy to relate to.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I found this book to be inspiring and emotional. I loved absolutely everything about this book from the writing style, themes featured, the authors courage and more. There were nothings I disliked or found negative about this book. The cover and title of this book was lovely and fit perfectly will the story. This book to me deserves a five-star rating and deserves to be the book of the month.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: You Noticed That? by Anastasia Akbulut

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

Oh, this book was so very emotional. What I liked most about this book was the never-give-up spirit of the Unger family. Their perseverance to save Louis was truly commendable. I found the writing style okay too, and honestly, I wouldn't like to comment much on it because this book is a father's emotional account, and you can't really be a critic of emotions. All in all, this book has my heart!
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

I will give this book a higher score since its very educational and helpful to so many people who are affected by cancer pandemic
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

This book real deserves a 5 stars rating. The did an incredible work i congratulate him alot
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

This book had me go through several emotions and more! I think I held my breathe for most parts and at some point when the suffering seemed too much I had to stop for a few days before continuity. Overall, this is a five star book but readers need to be emotionally strong.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

To be honest it was really an emotional read for me and I really can't express how I felt after reading this book. The author of this book is really strong I must say.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

I would say that one thing I loved throughout this journey is that mark sheds light on the importance of resilience, hope, and the relentless pursuit of solutions when faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges. This book explored the emotional and physical toll of childhood cancer on both the young patient and his family and all the went through.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”