Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Mikespice Mike
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Post by Mikespice Mike »

The book and amazing for docs, patients and the relatives of people battling with a cancer disease
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Because I haven't finished reading I wouldn't rate the book but for recommendations yeah it suitable to everyone who needs to explore and know more about cancer
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

Just finished reading the book; took me longer to get through than I would have anticipated given the low page number. The family’s story is interesting and I’m glad that Mark has shared it, but I do think it could have used some more editing or other assistance, as much of it is very dry. 3.5 out of 5 for me 😊
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

Your all comments makes me to hurry up an get myself the book... Seems so interesting
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

It's a inspiration book to cancer fighters and survivers... I got myself learning a lot I didn't knew
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

Honestly, I just purchased the book today and have yet to read it. However, from the book cover photo and title description it is obvious that this novel is a heart-felt and compelling story. A child that is diagnosed with a terrible condition as cancer will make any person feel empathy and sadness, especially the mother of the child.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Seeing your child go through such a debilitating illness is not easy. The entire family suffered, including Harry. This was one difficult and heartbreaking book to read but I would definitely recommend it to other parents, especially those who are facing similar challenges. There are nuggets about advocating for your child, being involved as a parent and they might learn a thing or two about how to navigate these difficult challenges.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: Lucky the Poochipug by Howard & Pat London

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

From my own perspective and opinion, I found this book to be both emotional, enlightening and motivating and I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of the information it contains especially on patient advocacy.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This is an inspirational and perfect book for anyone going through a medical problem. It's heartbroken to see a child going through several diagnoses and the parent end up spending a lot of money. This book contains valuable information. Therefore, I would rate it five out of five stars.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25

Post by Yasmine M »

This book is amazing, heartfelt and inspiring. Little Louis and his family went through so much. Additionally, I am impressed by the writing skills of the father. I didn't expect the story to be so well-narrated. I like that they included their own hand-written notes.
At first, I did not want to read the book. I thought, oh no! I cannot read another tear-jerking story. Yes, it is still emotional, but it is filled with hope. The readers are also learning a lot about medicine, medical procedures and the system. I can't wait to finish the book.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

In life there is always going to be ups and downs. That is a static phenomenon of life. But there are still moments that test us to the very limit of our beings. This book had some of those moments.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Mehul P
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

This book has been in my mind for quite a while now. I haven't really gained my courage to read this book. Being an overthinker, this book just adds up to my imagination and I don't think, I'm ready to read this book yet. But soon, I'll read this amazing book.
Mehul P
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

I was just going through some of the reviews of this book. I really can't gather enough courage to buy this book. A member in my family passed away from cancer and it hurts. Thinking about protagonist going through things much worse, is just crushing my soul
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

Mehul P wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 07:39 I was just going through some of the reviews of this book. I really can't gather enough courage to buy this book. A member in my family passed away from cancer and it hurts. Thinking about protagonist going through things much worse, is just crushing my soul
Sorry to hear about your family member ❤️
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This was an emotional read for me. Breaking Childhood Cancer is a very sensitive subject that requires a lot of focus. I'm glad that the story turned out to be an inspiring one in the end. I love the fact that the writer shared a lot of tips that will benefit any reader. I didn't dislike anything in the book. The writing style of the author was good.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”