Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the August 2023 Book of the Month, "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I found this book inspirational and heartbreaking at the same time, being a mother myself the story broke my heart, I related so much to mary ellen and her struggle and the fact that she couldn't give up because if she gives up everything around her will crumble and perhaps her faith in god and her perseverance are what helped her son survive. an undeniable 5/5
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I'm not going to lie, this book was rough for me. I couldn't begin to imagine or even try to empathize since I am not a mother, but this book was heartbreaking. I thought the book was a 5 out of 5.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

Just reading the sample was really rough for me. I just felt really sad. It's just a horrible thing for a child and any family to have to go through, especially with all the different incorrect diagnoses. It's just awful. The book, I am sure, is brilliant, but it's not something I could ever bring myself to read in full. It's far too triggersome. 
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I have to be honest; I started the book and had to stop. My son has relapsed acute myeolid leukemia. His chances are not great. I could not keep reading on this subject. Someday I would like to finish this book, but not today.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

"First Survivor" by Mark Unger is an emotional and inspiring true story of a family's fight against childhood cancer. The incredible strength of young Louis and the unwavering advocacy of his parents will touch your heart. All proceeds from the book go to the Carrot Seed Foundation to support children and families affected by this disease. Highly recommended!
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rupali Mishra »

It was difficult for me even to read the sample. I was simply so dejected. The suffering a child and any family must endure is plain abhorrent, especially in light of the numerous false diagnoses. It truly is terrible. I'm confident the book is fantastic.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

This is a heartbreaking book for me. I don’t know if I can read this sad book because I automatically would imagine this to myself. Maybe someday if my mood is fit to read this book.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 769
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Although this is a difficult book to read because I am a cancer survivor, I am glad I read it. If Louis's outcome had been different, I probably would not have been able to finish it. However, I could relate to the missed diagnoses because cancer is hard to diagnose. I appreciated the notes that Mark included because they were similar to what I went through. Mark has provided a lot of information to help other cancer victims or caregivers. Mark's honesty in his and Mary Ellen's emotions is commendable. Louis is a precious child, and I am glad they found a cure for him. Unfortunately, due to the errors in the book I had to give this book a 4 out of 5 star rating.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Sheen Jenny »

This book is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit. In the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, Louis and his family persevered and found a way to triumph. It is a story that will inspire anyone who has faced adversity and give hope to those who are still in the midst of their own struggles. It is a reminder that even when the odds are stacked against us, we should never give up. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for inspiration and hope.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Grace in the face of adversity...This book has shattered me to pieces. Had it not been for the title and the certainty of a happy ending, I couldn't have read it. The author is a strong person who intends to inspire others in their fight alongside their beloved ones. Louis is a precious child and I do hope he will become a strong adult.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Glorious Beast! by Scott L.Chally

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Mark Unger's First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough is a must-read due to its enthralling account of the miraculous voyage of medical discoveries in the treatment of childhood cancer. The book is a compelling account of the tenacity of juvenile patients and the dedication of medical professionals. I admired the author's ability to skillfully weave together technical explanations and human-interest stories. At times, I felt that the writing style was a bit too opaque and that additional clarifications would have been beneficial.

This nonfiction book focuses primarily on medical or scientific events. It also naturally integrates biographical details, thereby enhancing understanding of the characters' motivations.

The book's design and title effectively convey the underlying message of optimism and achievement. The novel's title encapsulates the essence of the groundbreaking discovery it describes.

The book First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough taught me the value of perseverance and collaboration in expanding the boundaries of medicine. The book's emphasis on recent cancer therapy successes inspires optimism for the field's future.

Without question, I would recommend this book to my colleagues and family. It enlightens the reader on a crucial issue, allowing them to comprehend the significance of medical research for children's existence. In addition, it provides hope and motivation to those who are experiencing the same condition, as well as valuable information for doctors and researchers. I will undoubtedly rate it 5 out of 5.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Glorious Beast! by Scott L.Chally

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 09:22 Although this is a difficult book to read because I am a cancer survivor, I am glad I read it. If Louis's outcome had been different, I probably would not have been able to finish it. However, I could relate to the missed diagnoses because cancer is hard to diagnose. I appreciated the notes that Mark included because they were similar to what I went through. Mark has provided a lot of information to help other cancer victims or caregivers. Mark's honesty in his and Mary Ellen's emotions is commendable. Louis is a precious child, and I am glad they found a cure for him. Unfortunately, due to the errors in the book I had to give this book a 4 out of 5 star rating.
This was great to hear a story of Cancer fighter from a Cancer fighter herself. You must have understood the book from a different perspective than I do. It was great reading your honest comment on the book. Appreciated!
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

Leslie Kunde wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 21:10 I have to be honest; I started the book and had to stop. My son has relapsed acute myeolid leukemia. His chances are not great. I could not keep reading on this subject. Someday I would like to finish this book, but not today.
So sorry to hear about your son, Leslie 💜 I hope some strong luck comes your (and his!) way!
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

I’m still slowly making my way through the book at the moment (it is hard to get through due to the content, as others have already mentioned) and I can’t stop thinking about how fortunate it is that this family were living with the means to be able to afford all the treatment/the type of job with the right insurance, as well as in such close proximity to some of the best quality medical care in the world. Cases like these really demonstrate the need for high quality healthcare to be more readily available to more people.
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”