Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger

Post by Tosin Le »

I had strong feelings while reading this. It takes a lot of concentration to break the taboo of childhood cancer. I'm happy that the tale ultimately proved to be motivational. I appreciate how the author provided a wealth of advice that would be useful to all readers. There was nothing in the book that bothered me. The author has a good writing style.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

While reading this, I experienced intense emotions. Breaking the taboo of childhood cancer requires a lot of focus. I'm glad the story ultimately turned out to be inspirational. I like how the author offered a ton of good tips that all readers might benefit from. The book didn't contain anything that troubled me. The writer writes with good eloquence.
Alida Spies
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: Amoura Awakened by Meg Kramer
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Alida Spies »

I found it difficult to read this book, for mainly two reasons: firstly, as a mother, it was heartbreaking to read about the family's trauma and secondly, because I'm fighting Multiple Myeloma at present. I could relate only too well to the endless blood tests, the bone marrow tests, and the constant hospital visits, to name but a few. The only way to fight something like this is to have a very strong support system and to keep on praying. I learned quite a bit from the book in terms of communication, to keep living as normally as possible when it is possible and to never give up. It is a remarkable story of hope and victory. Read this book. Even if you have to stop sometimes to wipe your tears, it is a wonderful guide to cope with any of the trials and tribulations life tends to throw at you.
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

Alida Spies wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 05:49 I found it difficult to read this book, for mainly two reasons: firstly, as a mother, it was heartbreaking to read about the family's trauma and secondly, because I'm fighting Multiple Myeloma at present. I could relate only too well to the endless blood tests, the bone marrow tests, and the constant hospital visits, to name but a few. The only way to fight something like this is to have a very strong support system and to keep on praying. I learned quite a bit from the book in terms of communication, to keep living as normally as possible when it is possible and to never give up. It is a remarkable story of hope and victory. Read this book. Even if you have to stop sometimes to wipe your tears, it is a wonderful guide to cope with any of the trials and tribulations life tends to throw at you.
All the best with your own fight ❤️
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Alida Spies

Post by Alida Spies »

Thank you Emma
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Seeing the book's title alone gives a sense of hope and encouragement. I have read a book similar to this one and I must say it is definitely one to read. From the reviews I read of this book, I know it contains strong themes of love, faith, denial, and lots more.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Ruka N »

The book spoke to me and made me very emotional. This is because it reminded me of a similar situation my family and I found ourselves in due to my sister's illness. But I liked the book title and cover, it makes a person hopeful and has this anxiety soothing feel to it.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Ruka N »

Alida Spies wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 05:49 I found it difficult to read this book, for mainly two reasons: firstly, as a mother, it was heartbreaking to read about the family's trauma and secondly, because I'm fighting Multiple Myeloma at present. I could relate only too well to the endless blood tests, the bone marrow tests, and the constant hospital visits, to name but a few. The only way to fight something like this is to have a very strong support system and to keep on praying. I learned quite a bit from the book in terms of communication, to keep living as normally as possible when it is possible and to never give up. It is a remarkable story of hope and victory. Read this book. Even if you have to stop sometimes to wipe your tears, it is a wonderful guide to cope with any of the trials and tribulations life tends to throw at you.
Yes, it is. Well said. Good luck on your journey. I hope you get better and get good news!
Alida Spies

Post by Alida Spies »

Thank you!
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I love this book. It is well-written and professionally edited. The narration style is engaging from beginning to end. Louis' family is courageous, and they are supportive towards each other. It is not just a story, it is a real-life experience and it is very informative. For instance, I learnt that it is best to always ask questions, and try to be as informed as possible to be able to take the most important decisions. Taking notes can become very handy. It is important to have the support from our loved ones. I recommend this book to everyone; it is inspirational, emotional, informative and a good read.
Paula Rocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paula-rocha.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Paula Rocha »

This book gave me a very strong emotional reaction. Cancer is quite heartbreaking by itself, and this read was very difficult for me. It took me some time to finish, but if I were to rate this book in a review, I would rate it 5/5.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

There are no dead ends, only new paths.
- Mark Unger in First Survivor
This was a difficult read, I'm not gonna lie. It was so sad especially when you consider that there are people going through this right now. I thought the mother was a brave character though, I can't imagine watching your child going through all of that.
It's a shame that doctors miss these things. I've experienced similar issues with doctors being unable to give me a proper diagnosis, I can't imagine being a parent and having to go through that with your child.
Juma Florence
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juma-florence.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Signature Addition: Juma. Official Reviewer Representative

Post by Juma Florence »

This book can be loved by anyone who has a compassionate heart and loves learning about medicine. Cancer is a scary journey for an adult; this child was exceptionally brave without knowing it!
Juma. Official Reviewer Representative
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Even though the book was very intense, I am glad I read it. Having family and friends who went through the cancer battle, the struggle is accurate, and the Unger family showed tremendous resilience throughout the book. Although there were some challenging parts to read, I did enjoy the book and am glad I finished it and got through it.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

I rate this book five out of five stars. It is a helpful handbook about a whole lot of things, including the realties of critical illnesses in a family, parental responses to such, searches for medical procedures that can cure it and all that. I highly recommend it.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”