a mother's intuition and struggle

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Schyk Marcus
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: The Soul Family by Alexx Shaw

Re: a mother's intuition and struggle

Post by Schyk Marcus »

Personally, it would affect me so bad. But then when I know nothing can be done, I would get over myself and try to make the best memories possible. At the end of the day, that is what keeps 8s going when they are gone.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

I definitely think that mothers have a unique bond with their children. Mothers tend to be more sensitive to certain cues. I read somewhere that the bond starts in the womb, and it’s the surge of oxytocin during birth that primes mothers for responsiveness. This makes a mother's top priority to make sure her baby is safe, and she will have a low threshold for sensing anything wrong. I don’t have children but if I did, I can only hope that I’d be as brave and quick to act as Louis’ mother.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

In the diagnosis of any illness in children, what the mother has to say is infinitely important. Mary Ellen is a clear example that the maternal instinct is very present in the human race, although sometimes it is not noticed. Without a doubt, we would all be devastated without a child being diagnosed with cancer, but the faster the news comes, the faster we can act.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

Personally, I don't think so. And this is the more reason why we should always pause to cross-check our intuition, it may be a pointer to something. And then, the importance of family bonding is essential. There are several lessons to learn from this book.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Not all mothers have that instinct, but those who do have it and know how to use it are great opportunities to improve a situation or face problems in the best way.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Mothers typically have good instincts. Mothers are the first to notice their children's suffering. You and I both agree. Such news would start with a denial and conclude with a complete surrender and a prayer for His favor. It stings to think about how parents in comparable circumstances process the terrible news.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

A mother has a certain unexplained connection with her child that she can sense danger signs before anyone else. Any such news would be truly devastating to me. Even the thought is too scary for me. May God protect our children!
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I feel like in general, when it comes to your body, you know best, because you can feel it when something is wrong. The same thing happens when there is a mother-child bond. It's inevitable but also very beautiful. Women have a sixth sense in general, but when it comes to their children, I feel like the have a seventh sense.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

So far I am very certain that one get to feel more deep connection with things they bond to. Same applies to parents especially mothers who bond with their children. Their intuitions are most certainly right. what anyone's feels connected to, they tend to protect, preserve and care for. I will protect and keep hope alive for my kids no matter the situation. I can easily tell when something is wrong with any of them. I have so bonded with them and they makeup a huge part of me.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: What The Dogs Tell Me by Rose Lesniak

Post by Abraham Ozo »

The mother's unwavering faith, determination, and the weight of responsibility resonated deeply with me, highlighting how her resilience was crucial for her son's survival amidst adversity.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Parents' intuitions about their children are always right. They know their children more than anyone in this world.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

Although I believe it's not just a mother who has these instincts, our family members are also able to spot these changes. I love how a mothers instinct works anyway and I think she may have regretted it if she did not go with her instinct in the book.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Praying Mantis by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Kendal Low »

As I have a great relationship with my mother, I’m inclined to believe that a mother’s intuition is very rarely wrong.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Praying Mantis by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Kendal Low »

Clauson Justin wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 00:54 Although I believe it's not just a mother who has these instincts, our family members are also able to spot these changes. I love how a mothers instinct works anyway and I think she may have regretted it if she did not go with her instinct in the book.
I very much agree with this opinion. I think family members other than mothers can definitely sense when something is wrong.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Anything no matter how trivial happening to one's child can cause distress in a parent and not just a mother. That said, a mother's intuition is always right even though some people might not believe them.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”