a mother's intuition and struggle

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Terrine Wild
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: a mother's intuition and struggle

Post by Terrine Wild »

I would crumble only on the inside. On the ourside, I would do everything possible to handle the situation. Being a parent is never easy.
Olive Joy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-joy.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Olive Joy »

I do believe and concur that moms have a special bond with their kids, that a mother's instincts are typically correct, and that when they tell you to ask questions, you should ask them. This, in my opinion, made Mary Ellen aware that something wasn't right.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Andrew Darlington »

The closer a mother gets to her child the stronger the bond they share. If I discover such a disease in my child, I will first be broken, sad but then I love my child and I must be string for him or her. At this point I will have to exercise my faith and hope on a miracle.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

If she did not believe her gut feeling, she would not have realised what was wrong with her child. The diagnosis would come up at a later stage and the prognosis would be worse. If I had a child, I don't think I could handle the pain alone of having my child diagnosed with cancer. I don't know if I could be a pillar of strength to my kids. Maybe with the help of my partner, I could achieve that. I would pray to God and do whatever is possible that is in my hands.
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

If Mary Ellen didn't have the parental bond or didn't pay attention to her son, they probably would have found out much later, when it is too late. If that happened to me, I would be devastated. Maybe with the help of my family, I would keep up hope but I know I won't be able to stay strong by myself.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

Mothers have this invisible instinct I believe and they just know it somehow that there’s something wrong with their child! A mother’s love is unmatched!
I am not a mother yet, but I honestly wouldn’t even want to think of something like that happening to my child. It’s so heartbreaking!
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Part of what made me so emotional while reading Louis's story was the strong connections he had with both parents, and this is one of them. They had instincts for every time something would happen. Noticing right from the onset that the headaches were a relapse is another example.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Some people are intuitive, and some are not. The same is true with mothers. I have known mothers who know their child is awake from another part of the house, and there are some others who seem clueless about their child.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Gallagher Farm by Sara Gallagher-Beck
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 86%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Always follow your gut, no matter if it is for your health or the health of your children. A mother's intuition is normally always spot on!
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Robben Ribery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robben-ribery.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Robben Ribery »

Mothers go through a lot to bear a child. So, it is in their nature to be overprotective. Only they, know what they passed through during pregnancy.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

As a mother there is always a special bond that you share with your child. And sometimes it gets confusing because you feel you know when something is wrong with your child. I'd something horrifying happens, I would definitely be devastated. But I would definitely be strong for my child and let him live his best life.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Human of All by Ryan Parrett

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

This reminds me of the time I found out my daughter was struggling in school and kept it from me. I had a huge feeling there was something wrong and I just could not place my hands on what it was that was wrong. Trust me, mothers instincts are very strong and I know for a fact.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Osakwe Favour »

A mother's instinct is not just limited to the physical well-being of the child; it also extends to emotional and psychological aspects. Mothers often have an innate understanding of their child's moods, fears, and joys, which enables them to provide emotional support and comfort so they always know when something isn’t right with their children
Wemby Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wemby-jordan.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Wemby Jordan »

The bond between mother and child is always so strong. The innate maternal sense of protection is always great to see.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

It's not just about a mother's intuition and struggle.

Recently, my neighbor, a young woman, passed away from cancer. She was more optimistic than her father and used to comfort him that it was God's will and that she was okay.

It's easy to say but hard not to be devastated when one's child is suffering.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”