a mother's intuition and struggle

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

a mother's intuition and struggle

Post by Salah bourouba »

do you think that marry ellen louis's mother would have realized that there was something wrong with her child if she didn't believe in her gut and had that real bond that a true mother-son/daughter has? also, how would you feel if you discovered something that horrifying happening to your child? would be crumble or would you keep the hope and do anything in your power to keep him alive and have good memories with him?

personally, I would be devastated, I think that I would really crumble and have denial for a period of time but my faith in god will help me up again and I believe that he will be better taken care of with the lord and the angels.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: painkiller brainkiller by James m powers II

Post by Seetha E »

A mother's instinct is seldom incorrect. Mothers can detect their children's discomfort before anyone else. I agree with you. Such news would begin with denial and end with a final surrender, pleading for His blessings. It hurts to imagine how parents in similar situations take in the dreadful news.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

I believe that mother's feeling is almost always right. If I don't follow my gut, I may regret it forever. Also, if I find out something horrible would happen to my child/ren, of course, I will do anything to keep them alive.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

In my opinion, Mary Ellen's strong motherly intuition and bond with Louis played a crucial role in realizing that something was wrong with her child. A genuine and deep connection between a mother and her child often lets her pick up on subtle changes and signs of distress that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. This emotional connection can lead to early detection and timely action, potentially making a significant difference in the outcome of a challenging situation. Having hope and doing everything in one's power to keep the child alive and cherish precious memories is an instinct for many parents. Faith and support from loved ones can be pillars of strength during such trying times. Specific individuals find comfort in their faith, believing their child will be consoled and protected by a higher entity after their demise. Everyone's response to such a situation is unique, and there is no definitive or incorrect way to cope. The profound love and bond shared between a parent and child possess immense strength, fostering resilience and courage during adversity.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The bonds between parents and children are incredibly strong and most probably helped Mary Ellen's mother understand her child's suffering. I know I would do anything for my child.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I firmly believe that mothers nearly always have the right idea. They'll do anything to protect their children's lives.
Trisana Hardin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trisana-hardin.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Trisana Hardin »

I'm not a mother, nor have I been in a close relationship with someone who's developed cancer, but I do think Mary Ellen's bond with Louis was crucial for saving his life. When you know someone, especially a small child, really well, you can pick up on small differences or changes that may not be noticeable to others. Like in this situation, they can sometimes mean life or death.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think this could apply to either parent. In today's society, many fathers have taken over the care of the children while the mother works outside the home. Both parents need to know what is happening with their children, as Mary Ellen did. Her fast response in getting Louis medical care definitely helped save his life.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Trisana Hardin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trisana-hardin.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Trisana Hardin »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:48 I think this could apply to either parent. In today's society, many fathers have taken over the care of the children while the mother works outside the home. Both parents need to know what is happening with their children, as Mary Ellen did. Her fast response in getting Louis medical care definitely helped save his life.
I think mentioning the shift to fathers also being included in this is important. In my opinion, the idea ties more into PARENTAL intuition versus just a mother's intuition.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I agree with you 100%; both a mother and a father have instincts when it comes to their children. I can't imagine how Louis' parents felt when they eventually discovered what was wrong with him and, worse, when he was misdiagnosed more than once. They could have been treating him for years for Perthes disease or leukemia, even though he didn't actually have them. They're incredibly brave parents, and I applaud Mark for standing his ground and asking for Louis to be transferred to another hospital. Sometimes parents really do know best.

As for your second question, this is one of the reasons I don't have children. I know that I would be a mess every time they leave the house for fear that something bad could happen to them.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

A mother's intuition is very strong with her children. If you feel something is wrong in your gut, you should go with that feeling. Even though you might feel like you want to crumble, you can't. A child looks up to his or her mother to help and care for them, as they can't do it themselves. When you have children, you are responsible for their care for 18 years, no matter what.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Selena Romero 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selena-r-romero.html
Latest Review: Prince Gideon by Gary Caplan

Post by Selena Romero 1 »

I do think and agree that mothers share a sort of unique connections to their children and that a mother's instincts are not usually wrong and when it prompts to probe, people should rightly probe. I believe this helped Mary Ellen figure out that something was up. To answer your second question, I think I would be strong in that instance.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Mothers, for the most part, always know what’s going on. I am sure that when my mother noticed that something was going on with me she was devastated, I know that I would have been ifI discovered something like that about my son. But she didn’t fall apart. She stayed strong, at least in front of me. I can’t imagine what she must have discussed with Dad.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I believe a mother’s instinct is usually correct. There would be a lot of regret if she didn’t follow her instincts with regard to the best interests of her child.
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

I think the people closest to us are often very tuned in to changes in us, and in this case it’s the mother. These intuitions are reported by fathers and adoptive parents as well, so perhaps more about the family set-up than biology.

(Disclaimer that I’m not a mother so not coming from a place of personal experience)
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”