a mother's intuition and struggle

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Contraption by Barton Allen Stewart

Re: a mother's intuition and struggle

Post by Saima Rahman »

Many mothers have a strong intuition when it comes to their child's well-being or safety. I think it is a combination of emotional connection, close observation, and subconscious cues that make this intuition so accurate. And yes, it can provide valuable insights when a child is ill or in danger, and Mary Ellen did truly understand what is going on with her son and helped him.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Emma Grey wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 02:09 I think the people closest to us are often very tuned in to changes in us, and in this case it’s the mother. These intuitions are reported by fathers and adoptive parents as well, so perhaps more about the family set-up than biology.

(Disclaimer that I’m not a mother so not coming from a place of personal experience)
I agree. This type of intuition doesn’t have to be solely a mother’s intuition. It would depend on the family make-up. Every family is so unique.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I think Mary Ellen's motherly instincts were very crucial to quickly notice the changes in her son, Louis. From what I understand she spent a lot of time with her sons, giving her the chance to closely monitor them and notice when something was not quite right with Louis. I can't even begin to imagine how she felt but I know it must have been extremely difficult to stay strong for her family, balance her attention and care for Loius, as well as young Harry who also needed parental attention as well.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Saima Rahman wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 07:56 Many mothers have a strong intuition when it comes to their child's well-being or safety. I think it is a combination of emotional connection, close observation, and subconscious cues that make this intuition so accurate. And yes, it can provide valuable insights when a child is ill or in danger, and Mary Ellen did truly understand what is going on with her son and helped him.
I do agree with this. I am also sometimes amazed by how in tune a mother's instincts can be with her child's needs. The same goes for fathers, especially those involved with their child's life and development.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Rupali Mishra wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 09:29 I firmly believe that mothers nearly always have the right idea. They'll do anything to protect their children's lives.
That is absolutely right. I also think the will to protect a child upholds the parent's faith and sometimes procurs solutions where there seems to be none.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I agree with a lot of other comments that being close to someone typically helps you key in to things that are wrong with them, and a mother is very often one of the people closest to her children. I believe firmly that any mother would have picked up on this at some point as long as they were making an effort to talk with and know their child.

I am not a mother, but as a father one of my biggest fears is something horrible happening to my children - the idea of them having something hurtful happen that I am not able to fix is very frightening. I think this would be extremely hard for any parent.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

A mother's intuition is never wrong or so they say. Personally, I believe it's hard to say how one would react in the face of such bad news. I would like to say I would be strong for my child and keep hope alive, but experience is always the best teacher in such circumstances.

All I can say is that it does pay to have some kind of faith to hold onto when the bad times come calling.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

In my view, Mary Ellen's maternal instinct, combined with her deep bond with Louis, was key in detecting a problem with her son. This bond allows mothers to notice subtle changes others might miss, potentially leading to timely interventions. The innate desire to protect their child and preserve cherished moments is a driving force for many parents. Support from loved ones and spiritual beliefs can be anchoring in tough times. Each person's reaction to such situations is individual, with no prescribed way to handle them. The connection between a parent and child, full of deep affection, can inspire resilience and courage amid challenges.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

A mother's intuition and gut about her children are always right; it's like a sixth sense that is tuned to her children. When I faced a similar situation with different circumstances, I remained strong for my kid, kept my faith strong, stayed hopeful, and did everything in my power. I believe it is the only thing that can be done.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

A mother's bond with her child is beyond mere human understanding. Therefore a mother's instinct is hardly incorrect. When acted upon promptly, harm is usually prevented. I believe strongly in the accuracy of a mother's instinct.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Kebun Bunga wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 00:27 In my opinion, Mary Ellen's strong motherly intuition and bond with Louis played a crucial role in realizing that something was wrong with her child. A genuine and deep connection between a mother and her child often lets her pick up on subtle changes and signs of distress that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. This emotional connection can lead to early detection and timely action, potentially making a significant difference in the outcome of a challenging situation. Having hope and doing everything in one's power to keep the child alive and cherish precious memories is an instinct for many parents. Faith and support from loved ones can be pillars of strength during such trying times. Specific individuals find comfort in their faith, believing their child will be consoled and protected by a higher entity after their demise. Everyone's response to such a situation is unique, and there is no definitive or incorrect way to cope. The profound love and bond shared between a parent and child possess immense strength, fostering resilience and courage during adversity.
You have put it beautifully, and I completely agree.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

As most people have said, mothers usually share a deep bond with their children. As a mum myself, there have been countless times when I have noticed something is wrong, even when the doctors found nothing. As an example, I had to take my baby to the drs 3 times for them to actually do enough tests to find something was wrong, when I had been telling them all along. Since then, I do absolutely everything in my power to advocate for my children, as I know them best. I can't even imagine being in this situation but I imagine I wouldn't give up and continue to try different things..
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

As a recent dad, I would be internally devastated if something like this happens to my daughter. As someone who has gone through lot of bad moments in my family, I would try to keep fighting and at the same time making good memories.
And yes, I believe that parents have great knowledge of their children. You spend so much time with them that you know their routines, what is normal and not for them, when they are in pain...
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Marry Ellen was a present and attentive parent that's why she was able to notice the changes in Louis.
I think it is normal for parents to be devastated when their child is sick. As a parent, you dust yourself up and do the best for your child to get the necessary medical attention until they recover.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

The bond closeness of a parent to a child especially mothers is unbreakable so yeah I agree with you

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”