No Dead Ends, Only New Paths: An Echo of Heraclitean Philosophy?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Re: No Dead Ends, Only New Paths: An Echo of Heraclitean Philosophy?

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

"There are no dead ends, only new paths" is a very strong statement that may not be fully understood at a time. The meanings keep unfolding as we navigate through life's hurdles, records new feats and all that. It's such a powerful, inspirational piece.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

"No dead ends, only new paths". I understand it is a way to keep being positive and hopeful. It is a good attitude to adopt in life. When you arrive at a dead end, instead of just staying there, look for other new paths. I like this saying.
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

I understand this philosophy because it resonates with me. It gives me hope. We have to explore different experiences. Our experiences help us gain perspective.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

The adage "when a door closes, a window opens" applies here as well. The idea that not everything is finished and that there is still plenty to come, in my opinion, can be a really empowering one for people going through terrible circumstances. And it holds true for the majority of elements of life.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Zainab Wasif »

It is difficult to understand when you are faced with adversity that there are new paths waiting to be explored. This statement also gives a lot of hope in tough times.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

Growth is change. Every action is taken to effect or adapt to change. As human special abilities are unlocked at the times of challenges to improves chances of survival and to adapted to change. Very certainly changes applies to as sphere of the human life.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think I must have not given a deep thought to it because I believe in the same stance. Life is all about starting afresh, starting again. There are certainly no dead ends and it's never over so far as you are breaching. There's this song I used to listen to so much that wait the end of every race is the beginning of the next.
Olive Joy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-joy.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Olive Joy »

Change is growth. Every action is intended to bring about or accommodate change. When faced with difficulties, human particular abilities are shown in order to increase survival chances and adapt to change. Changes unquestionably apply to all aspects of human life.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

Absolutely, your post beautifully captures the essence of Unger's statement and its profound philosophical implications. The parallel you draw between Unger's perspective and Heraclitean philosophy is insightful. Embracing the idea that there are no dead ends, only new paths, resonates deeply with my personal experiences. It reminds me of the importance of adaptability and resilience in the face of challenges.
Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking perspective!
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I didn't look into it this deeply, and I'm so glad you did. It presents an optimistic existential stance that sees potential growth and new opportunities in every turn of life; I couldn't agree with this quote more, and it reflects so much of Louis's journey.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

Moving aside from the book itself, I personally do not agree in dead ends. I have never agreed that a point was the end, the dead end. Coming back from the book, the sentence did look so simple as first like you said but I considered it for a while and understood why it was used. Indeed no dead ends.
Oleabhiele Joseph
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleabhiele-joseph.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Oleabhiele Joseph »

This is profound understanding and wisdom from your part. Immersing ourselves in literature from philosophers is always going to be an upper hand for anyone who puts his/her mind to it
“You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome, 161 AD -180 AD
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

Since change is unavoidable, one must always be prepared to welcome new beginnings, make a fresh start, and incorporate lessons from the past into the present. The fundamental topic of life is evolution and advancement in discovering what functions and what does not. In order to gauge how well we go from dead ends to our new paths, obstacles are also necessary in life.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”