Patient advocacy

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Patient advocacy

Post by Yasmine M »

Julie Basil wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 21:00 I think that advocating for yourself and getting involved in your own care are both very helpful when seeking medical help. Having another person with you like a parent, spouse, or close friend can also be helpful in situations when you aren't able to advocate for yourself for whatever reason. It can feel scary to bring up something that a medical professional doesn't seem to be considering, but if you don't ask or start the conversation, you'll never know.
I have a cousin who has cancer and one of my aunts, who is not his mother and who works in healthcare, has gotten very involved in his care and advocated for him throughout the time of his diagnosis and treatment. Her presence and advocacy have made a big difference and have helped my cousin to be more at ease in this challenging time in his life.
You are right, having another person with you when getting treatment is very important. I can recall a couple of times when I remember having a thirty minutes conversation with a doctor, but afterwards I couldn't remember the things we spoke about. When you are the sick person, your body is going through a lot, a your brain is too busy focusing on your body. Thinking clearly and taking decisions is not a priority for the brain at that time.
This also reminds me that we must make friends and strengthen family ties. It is not easy to do nowadays considering our lifestyles, but let's not live lonely lives.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

There needs to be more patient advocacy for the treatment aspect and the service aspect concerning money and insurance. There are still families out there that can't afford decent healthcare plans. Yes, governments have programs for these people, but there are still too many loose ends. I am blessed to have learned that the Unger family was resilient in confirming Louis' care and treatment and appreciated the journal entries in fighting for Louis' life.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

I agree with you, and sometimes this approach lead to people being afraid of doctors and trying to solve health issues on their own. This delay is of course bad news so I'm really proud of Louis' parents for speaking up and being assertive about his healthcare.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

It is a process; cooperation is vital but we must accept that sometimes it is allowed to be stubborn, not to cooperate. It is very difficult to know how to react in those situations; stress and symptoms don't make it easy. The support of family members and health personnel is important.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

Yeah, patient advocacy is one of the themes explored in this book, and I found it remarkably helpful. It's dad to hear about your health condition and I hope you will get well soonest. Please do take care of your self.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Real Mr. Big by Ron Chepesiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao

Post by Zainab Wasif »

In my part of the world, doctors and medical professionals feel threatened if the patient researches his/her disease or there is an advocate for the patient to do that for him/her. They usually don't entertain many questions and tend to keep the patient's family's hopes to a minimum. I greatly respect medical professionals who educate their patients and guide them to choose the right course of action.
Kaila Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaila-powell.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Kaila Powell »

Being in the medical field myself, the theme of patient advocacy is in every shift we work. Teaching patient family or friends about the importance of the topic is paramount because we have to remind the public that we are not robots, we don't know everything there is to know and we do make mistakes. In this book, the author gave the insight of the other side of the curtain. Drawing you into their family to experience the inner thoughts and emotions of how it feels facing the mountain that is the medical world and giving you a visual of how patient advocacy can mean walking the line of life and death.
Malthide Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malthide-jones.html
Latest Review: that was then by bob turner

Post by Malthide Jones »

Ehat my journey in the medical field has taught me is that thebfamily doctor should be prioritised. There's nothing as good as a doctor that is familiar with you.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

As a patient or as Lou's parents did, I also believe in speaking out for yourself. Although I don't believe it's on purpose, healthcare professionals often act in the patient's best interest without first consulting the patient. Although you may not understand much of the medical lingo as a patient, being aware of what is being done and why could make you feel more at peace. Your constant queries may upset medical professionals, but you need to know the answers as a patient and a person. The way Mark and Mary Ellen fought for their son was excellent.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I so much buy into the concept of patient advocacy considering the flaws and errors in the healthcare system today. Patients and their loved once should stand up for themselves and detected what is necessary for their lives and the lives of their young ones.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Praying Mantis by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Kendal Low »

Patient advocacy is such an important part of health care. Nobody can explain/understand what they’re feeling better than the patient themselves.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

It is so crucial for patients to be able to express themselves freely to their medical caregivers, but sometimes the pressure of work may make them less attentive. However, I encourage every patient who has something to say or clarify to keep speaking till they are heard.
Buikem Kasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

This is a very important concept because the patient follows the treatment and it works better. Everyone should at least be educated about their problems.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

It’s difficult to be your own advocate when you are attempting to navigate foreign issues like medicine and medical treatments. If you don’t understand the terms or treatments, you don’t know the correct questions to ask etc.
Terrine Wild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Terrine Wild »

I just feel that every patient should be able to conduct research on what is wrong with them. They can better help the doctors and nurses this way.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”