Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo

Re: Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

As tragic and unbelievable as this may seem, it is an unavoidable fact of our society that women are frequently viewed as dramatic, especially mothers who are the ones who know their children best and who will not settle for medical professionals' explanations when their children are ill, always wanting to know more about them.
I had a horrible hospital experience with my first child, and even now, I don't regret being so "annoying" when I asked the doctors to check my child more since I knew something wasn't right.
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

I think it is because most doctors have been trained to offer assistance to most traditional family settings, which most allow men to be the decision-makers. It happens that some people don't go with those family settings, so doctor and Medical practitioners as a whole do not know how to reach. But it can change through vigorous training.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

As someone in the medical field, I've seen this happen a lot of times in the hospital. Women are left to wait and be attended by lower ranking officers.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Bron Bakers »

This is a sad reality. Seminars should be had for doctors to teach them about this. Those in medical school should also be taught.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

I have never had such experience of being treated differently all because I'm a woman and I was shocked by this because if there is anyone that deserves to be taken seriously when it comes to issues like this is the mother, who is the primary care-giver.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

This is an unacceptable fact that a mother's concern is not being taken seriously. Nobody can explain a mother's agony in words when her child is sick. Sadly this discrimation against women is apparent in all fields. I feel medical staff should treat both parents equally and avoid such treatments based on gender. Fortunately my doctors have always listened to me and taken my opinion into consideration and answered my queries if any.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

We don't have the chance to choose our gender at birth and not taking someone serious in a case as sensitive as needing medical attention should be looked at twice. Women deserve better. I have not had this kind of experience.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Lord of the Wind by Anthony Anonimo

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

In as much as I have not witnessed any of this. I believe that health is wealth and medical practitioners should prioritize every single individual

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”