Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Many doctors, she found, did not speak to mothers.  The secretaries and assistants to doctors, she observed, “didn’t take mothers seriously, didn’t give as much weight to the mother’s concerns.” She would make a call, be put on hold for twenty minutes and then sometimes be transferred to an intern or some medical student. The fact that mothers are most often the primary care-givers didn’t resonate with doctors. Mary Ellen discovered early that if she needed information her best chance of acquiring it quickly was through me. " (Location 866)

I have sadly heard of women who were sidelined or flat-out ignored by medical practitioners simply because they were women. What is your take on this practice? What is the reason/cause for this behavior from medical practitioners? How then can single mothers get the best possible treatment for their children? Have you had a similar experience of not being taken seriously because you are a woman?
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

I thought this was a very interesting point as well, and it definitely still happens. It’s very clear in the chronic illness space that illnesses which are more likely to affect all genders and especially to affect men primarily (heart disease, diabetes, etc.) have had far more consistent research done into them than those which don’t (endometriosis, period pain issues in general, ME/CFS, EDS, and many other things), and that’s just one symptom of the ongoing problems in which women’s medical problems and opinions are taken less seriously. We see it all the time in the chronic illness space, unfortunately 😅
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: Lucky the Poochipug by Howard & Pat London

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

In as much as I have not witnessed any of this. I believe that health is wealth and medical practitioners should prioritize every single individual. Mothers and mothers with children should also be a primary concern.
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

The healthcare system is flawed due to societal bias of women being valued less than men on decisions and many other aspects as well. Mothers are the most caring and nurturing compared to their counterparts. Medical professionals should take this into consideration when discussing a child's diagnosis and treatment, simply because a mother is the soul voice advocating for the best care of her child unconditionally out of love.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

It must be so tough for single mothers. When I want concerns about my daughter to be taken seriously, I send her with Dad. Dad can explain more calmly than me, and gets a more thorough response every time.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Post by Abiodunakinola »

A woman being ignored by medical practitioners is wrong and it's something that should not be taken lightly. Generally, a mother is mostly the one that stays with children in the hospital, so they should be given proper attention by the medical practitioners and all their questions should be answered.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Being a medical student, I've personally witnessed that mothers are being ignored and are often taken lightly. It's very sad that our system is so flawed. They should listen to everyone with special attention.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Searching for Zen by Albert T. Franklin

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

Discrimination or bias against women in healthcare is a serious issue and is not justified. Such behavior can be rooted in various factors, including historical biases, stereotypes, or cultural norms. It can lead to suboptimal care for women and must be addressed.

To ensure single mothers get the best possible treatment for their children:

1. Advocate for Yourself: Be assertive about your concerns and questions when dealing with healthcare professionals. Don't hesitate to seek a second opinion if needed.

2. Build a Support System: Reach out to family, friends, or support groups who can provide emotional and practical support.

3. Research and Educate: Empower yourself with knowledge about your child's condition and treatment options. This can help you make informed decisions.

4. Seek Out Women-Friendly Healthcare Providers: Look for healthcare providers who are known for their respectful and unbiased treatment of women.

5. Document Your Concerns: Keep records of your child's medical history, treatments, and interactions with healthcare providers. This can be valuable if you encounter any issues.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I think that this can be especially prevalent in situations that are specific to women's health issues. I chart my cycle on a regular basis to keep track of what is happening with my body throughout my cycle, including menstruation and ovulation and saw my doctor shortly after having a cycle that was much longer than usual, without any discernible reasons. When I showed and explained my chart to my doctor, who is a woman, she was unfamiliar with the method of charting and said she had no idea why my cycle had been so long. She was unwilling to schedule bloodwork to assess my hormone levels, despite my concerns and my documentation of my cycles. I ended up scheduling an appointment with another doctor who was familiar with the fertility awareness method of charting that I use and found out that I did have a hormonal issue, but could have found out months sooner if the first doctor had taken me seriously and been willing to do the bloodwork I requested.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

This is a very sad truth. Most times women, especially
mothers tend to be sidelined by medical practitioners even in this modern day. Personally, I have witnessed a few of this nonchalant act which ended badly sometimes. I believe this should be considered a crime, and there should be a penalty for such.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Discrimination against women is everywhere and medical field is no exception. Though I personally never witnessed it, I can't deny its existence. This is sad because mothers are the primary caregivers and are more attuned to their children's needs. Modern mothers are well educated and well informed. Ignoring their opinions or concerns is absolutely stupid.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Paula Rocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paula-rocha.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Paula Rocha »

Unfortunately, we live in society that does not take women seriously in most contexts. When it comes to health concerns, the consequences can be devastating. To be honest, most of the cases of medical error I've read about could be avoided if doctors took us seriously.

As a newborn, I experienced consistent pain, frequent illnesses, and a failure to gain weight, despite being breastfed and my mother having an abundant milk supply that could have nourished me and even allowed for donation. Unfortunately, she had to see multiple doctors before finding one who would listen to her concerns and conduct the necessary tests. I had a deadly cow milk allergy, and it could have been life-threatening if my mother had continued consuming dairy before feeding me. She told me that one of the doctors who took care of me after an anaphylactic shock was so horrified that he promised to never disregard a mother's concern again.

It is sad that we are not always taken seriously, but our bodies know better than society's bias. We can't afford to let our health be damaged by negligence. When a doctor doesn't take us seriously, the best we can do is to get another. And another, and another, until we find someone who will actually listen to us.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I'm surprised by this piece of information. The health care system in my country has many flaws, but thankfully, listening to a mother's complaint or observation about her child's health isn't one of them. In fact, if both parents are present at a doctor's appointment, the questions are always addressed to the mother, even if the father is the one describing his child's complaint.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1922
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I do have experience of social hierarchy playing a role while queuing up for medical checkups. Also, I have noticed the sense of ego in big medical practitioners. And our status, even gender comes in the way of receiving their services. The doctors and even their secretaries and their assistants may seem to be insensitive to the emotions of a mother or women in general while offering treatments to them.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Fortunately, my doctors have listened to me and appeared to value my opinions. I always research and speak to my mother and sister, both nurses. I go to appointments as informed as possible. I keep a notebook with questions and write down what the doctors tell me. My children's doctors were always respectful.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”