Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I have never heard mothers being ignored in hospitals. Mostly if I have to go to the doctors, I will call my mother to come with me because the doctors think mothers know more about their children even if they are grown up.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

I think women should be taken more serious because they are always close to Childrens
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I think practitioners do this because they believe mothers worry too much about small things, but I believe mothers know best and would be the first to notice if something is wrong with their children.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Emma Grey wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 04:45 I thought this was a very interesting point as well, and it definitely still happens. It’s very clear in the chronic illness space that illnesses which are more likely to affect all genders and especially to affect men primarily (heart disease, diabetes, etc.) have had far more consistent research done into them than those which don’t (endometriosis, period pain issues in general, ME/CFS, EDS, and many other things), and that’s just one symptom of the ongoing problems in which women’s medical problems and opinions are taken less seriously. We see it all the time in the chronic illness space, unfortunately 😅
Truly sad but I'm hopeful the tide will turn with more women actively involved and contributing to the medical space.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Sameeha Ismail wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 01:26 I have never heard mothers being ignored in hospitals. Mostly if I have to go to the doctors, I will call my mother to come with me because the doctors think mothers know more about their children even if they are grown up.
I'm glad you've only had positive experiences in this regard. And the truth is that it's not all, not even most doctors/healthcare practitioners who disregard mothers but in this book, this is what we see. Thanks for sharing your experience :tiphat:
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Yes, I agree that women are not taken seriously by the medical profession. It is ironic because it is the mothers who take care of the children and have a better rapport with them, as fathers tend to not be home as much. Also, fathers tend not to get involved with the children's lives as far as school goes and taking them to the doctor. When I was a single mother, almost everyone in the medical profession would ask if the father was available. Now in today's society, we often find that the fathers are the main caregiver, so I am sure they are feeling the reverse, medical professionals are asking if the mother is available.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

I've experienced this a few times, and it always surprises me. We're living in 2023, where feminism and open discussions about these issues are the norm. People should know better, but it's disheartening that some still don't. I've encountered doctors who didn't take my health concerns seriously and instead insisted I must be pregnant, even when I explained it was impossible. I've had a doctor lecture me about being modest and covering my skin, which left me puzzled as to how we veered into a discussion about my attire. Some doctors even turned consultations into uncomfortable, flirtatious encounters. The power dynamic is askew - they're the professionals, and we're the ones seeking help and guidance. I cannot imagine how disheartening (and infuriating) it must be to have go through this as the mother of a child with what could have been a terminal illness.
MehulPan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehulpan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by MehulPan »

Well, I'm sure there are multiple aspects to this issue. I won't completely agree neither disagree with the issue of women being sidelined by medical practitioners. A rough reason I can think of why medical practitioners don't take women seriously, might be because sometimes women tend to be emotional and being emotional somewhere clouds our decision-making skills. Although, there are some arguments which prove my theory wrong but it's kind of a rough reason i could think of.
No offense to anyone.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I do not think I have experienced this before and my doctors always took me very seriously even when it had to do with my child. I have never been in a position to feel like I wasn't being taken seriously because I am a woman. Still an interesting discovery that this happens.
Osakwe Favour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-favour.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Osakwe Favour »

Personally, I feel like gender stereotypes and biases in the healthcare system can lead practitioners to attribute women's symptoms to psychological factors rather than acknowledging potential underlying medical conditions. This can result in women feeling unheard, leading to frustration and a lack of trust in the medical system.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Radiant3 »

Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 00:29 "Many doctors, she found, did not speak to mothers.  The secretaries and assistants to doctors, she observed, “didn’t take mothers seriously, didn’t give as much weight to the mother’s concerns.” She would make a call, be put on hold for twenty minutes and then sometimes be transferred to an intern or some medical student. The fact that mothers are most often the primary care-givers didn’t resonate with doctors. Mary Ellen discovered early that if she needed information her best chance of acquiring it quickly was through me. " (Location 866)

I have sadly heard of women who were sidelined or flat-out ignored by medical practitioners simply because they were women. What is your take on this practice? What is the reason/cause for this behavior from medical practitioners? How then can single mothers get the best possible treatment for their children? Have you had a similar experience of not being taken seriously because you are a woman?
I think this has been the case for many years in the past, where men were naturally deferred to and women were ignored or were not considered the decision-makers. However, with the increasing number of female doctors, and younger doctors, plus the improvement of women's roles in society, this practice has been decreasing.
Mara Valentina
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-valentina.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Mara Valentina »

The author's experiences highlight the pervasive issue of gender bias in healthcare, where women's concerns and observations are often disregarded or undervalued. This bias can have serious consequences, leading to delayed diagnoses, misdiagnoses, and even inadequate treatment. So, the book serves as a stark reminder of the importance of patient advocacy and the need for healthcare providers to listen attentively to all patients, regardless of gender. It also underscores the significance of raising awareness about gender bias in healthcare and promoting a more equitable healthcare system.
Okoth Omondi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okoth-omondi.html
Latest Review: Hidden Realities by T.B.Prowting

Post by Okoth Omondi »

Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 00:29 "Many doctors, she found, did not speak to mothers.  The secretaries and assistants to doctors, she observed, “didn’t take mothers seriously, didn’t give as much weight to the mother’s concerns.” She would make a call, be put on hold for twenty minutes and then sometimes be transferred to an intern or some medical student. The fact that mothers are most often the primary care-givers didn’t resonate with doctors. Mary Ellen discovered early that if she needed information her best chance of acquiring it quickly was through me. " (Location 866)

I have sadly heard of women who were sidelined or flat-out ignored by medical practitioners simply because they were women. What is your take on this practice? What is the reason/cause for this behavior from medical practitioners? How then can single mothers get the best possible treatment for their children? Have you had a similar experience of not being taken seriously because you are a woman?
It's concerning that some women may not feel taken seriously by medical practitioners. Effective communication with healthcare professionals is crucial. If you or someone you know is facing this issue, consider seeking a second opinion or discussing concerns with the healthcare provider. Advocacy for women's health is important for fostering understanding and better care.
Concrete concept. 💫
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

Truth be told, this bias is a new discovery because I am quite young and greatly unexposed concerning these matters. However, I find it surprising that despite the fact that women are the main caretakers of kids, their contributions are not taken seriously. The health care sector can do better and I believe that they, just like any other sector will slowly but surely rid themselves of such meaningless discriminatory practices.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Attenuating Puritan by Robert McGuiness

Post by Seetha E »

Yes, this is another important aspect. But when the attending individual shows the understanding and commitment, with some doctors and even attending staff needing some toughness, they are more than willing to share information.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”