Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Use this forum to discuss the August 2023 Book of the Month, First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough by Mark Unger
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=446549

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Re: Women not being taken seriously by medical practitioners

Post by Saima Rahman »

This is absolutely true. Not only do a lot of health practitioners not listen to women and their concerns and dismiss them as "hysteria", the same happens with female practitioners whose advise and voice are often unheard by their fellow colleagues. This is such a frustrating truth that it almost feels made-up.
Buikem Kasia
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

This s a flaw in the medical system that has to be eradicated. Medical practitioners should be taught against this. Seminars should be held to address the issue.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

It's really sad to note that this is true and still goes on in this day and age. As primary caregivers, mothers, even single mothers, have a better understanding of what might be wrong with those they take care of. I do not understand why medical practitioners should discriminate against women and they definitely need educating on this.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Nele Ma
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nele-ma.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Nele Ma »

Yes, unfortunately, I've had a similar experience. There have been times when I felt like my concerns or symptoms were brushed off or not taken as seriously as they should have been, solely because I'm a woman. It's frustrating and can be disheartening when you're seeking medical help, but your concerns aren't given the attention they deserve.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Post by Jane Honda »

Though am not able to relate to the above topic. The health system in my country has lots of loops hole but the every one enjoys the right of equality when it comes to complaints, there is no gender discrimination.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

This is a new one. I don't think I have ever seen a case where the doctor discriminated solely because the patient is a woman. If this is true, then it is wrong in every way.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

This behaviour should be preached against in medical school. Its appalling that it has been allowed to go on for this long.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sadly, I've come across this statement several times before. To recall one particular post, I vividly remember that it spoke about how doctors have fallen into the habit of saying, "That's normal" or "Yes, that happens to everyone" every time a woman speaks of discomfort she is facing, especially when it comes to menstruation and the gynaecology department in general. Another post made a shocking remark that if men were going through these issues, they would've found a cure for it in no time, and it really got me thinking.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: The Inheritance by Donna Sundblad

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Where I came from, this never happened. Not that I know of. As a professional I prefer to listen to mothers concerning their children health. Even if they aren't mothers, every individuals should be treated equally.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I really do not know why medical officials would sideline people based of gender. I have not witnessed any form of partial treatment any maltreatment based on gender from a medical practitioner. But if that still exist then there is need for re-orientation and advocacy for fairness in our healthcare system.
Last edited by Andrew Darlington on 21 Oct 2023, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

Though in the book, the mother is not taken seriously and is transferred to an intern. I think it's not just about women, but people in general. Some doctors think that even after assurance, the caregiver question their medical qualifications and create a fuss, and the doctors think they know better than the patient or their relatives. The point is, sometimes, they can be wrong and they should do further testing to at least appease the patient or the caregiver's concern. Sometimes, they can be right. Though they do not possess knowledge, they know the behaviour of their closed ones.
Runan
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

That is so hurtful and I wasn't expecting that. Usually until now in my area, medical practitioners respond more quickly and gently to females or mothers more than fathers. Could it be that they don't want to deliver bad news to mothers because they think that they won't be able to handle it?
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: You Noticed That? by Anastasia Akbulut

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

This is so heartbreaking actually and it is indeed true as well. I don’t know why women don’t get equal respect! I haven’t experienced this firsthand but my mother has and the fact that women are taken lightly needs to change desperately!!
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I think this is an interesting view of the book. We can still see in our society that women are still not given enough equality, it is far from what they deserve. Their opinions, not just in medical concerns but also in many aspects of our lives, are not appreciated. Instead, they are mostly deprived of voices. It's just so sad.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

My experience has been different. However, you get the undertones of 'you are just pampering your kid' when you raise concerns about the harshness of treatments or anything to that effect.

Return to “Discuss "First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough" by Mark Unger”