Young Adult Genre Discussion (Aug '23)

For August 2023, we will be reading young adult books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Young Adult Genre Discussion (Aug '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Happy August everyone!

Since last poll there was a tie between fantasy and young adult, I decided to split the two genres in these two months (July was fantasy genre discussion), and August is currently young adult genre discussion.

For this month's genre discussion, we are reading books in the fantasy/paranormal genre. What is the difference between the two? Is there one?

Young Adult: "fiction written for readers from 12 to 18 years of age" and can include themes of "friendship, sexuality, drugs and alcohol, and sexual and gender identity." It is typically written for the teen audience (vs middle grade) and the characters are in their teen years.

Here are some guiding discussion questions:

- What book did you read or are currently reading?

- Do you feel the author portrayed the genre, fantasy or paranormal, well?

- Were there other genres included? Which one(s)?

- Do you generally read young adult novels? Why did you choose this one to read?

- Please share your rating and recommendation.

Can't wait to hear about what you are all reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Hey Heidi you're back! It's been a month since we haven't chatted. I see you're busy but I understand that:) You've been late a little bit posting for the August discussion but I'm glad you finally posted:D I've been busy for these past few days. And I have good news to tell to you! I've read 3 books this week and last week and I've never read that too fast before! Actually, it takes me a month to read a book but now? haha, I was surprised! I have a lot of free time so I just put my reading into it:) So, I haven't read a young adult for this month because I was reading middle-grade books for this month because I joined a challenge to read middle-grade books this month:)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 06:35 Hey Heidi you're back! It's been a month since we haven't chatted. I see you're busy but I understand that:) You've been late a little bit posting for the August discussion but I'm glad you finally posted:D I've been busy for these past few days. And I have good news to tell to you! I've read 3 books this week and last week and I've never read that too fast before! Actually, it takes me a month to read a book but now? haha, I was surprised! I have a lot of free time so I just put my reading into it:) So, I haven't read a young adult for this month because I was reading middle-grade books for this month because I joined a challenge to read middle-grade books this month:)
Hi there!

I’m back (again)! My son starting preschool for the first time and then covid hitting us had me down for a bit, but I’m back!

Nice work on reading 3 books in 2 weeks! Middle grade books can be great ones to read. Maybe we can have a month where we focus on middle grade books. :)

I did finish a young adult novel recently and loved it! Now, I have to find a Halloween-based or a spooky tale novel. I hope you get to participate in October Genre Discussion this month. I would be happy to hear from you. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “August 2023 Genre Discussion”