YA Book to Movie (Aug '23)

For August 2023, we will be reading young adult books!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 560
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

YA Book to Movie (Aug '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

There are so many book to movie adaptations out there that started from young adult books! Some that are great and some not so much. :lol:
  • Are there any that you have seen?
  • Can you share which one(s)?
  • Would you recommend this book-to-movie adaptation?
  • Which was better - the book or the movie?
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cathy Burgin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

The one I am most familiar with is the Harry Potter series. I love the books and the movies. I think each is good in its own. While they are not identical, there was enough overlap to appreciate the movies after having read the books.
Shawne Graves
Favorite Book: Hidden Mate )The Wolf Born Trilogy Book 1)
Currently Reading: Fae or Fae Knot (Providence Paranormal College Series Box Set) Book 10
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shawne-graves.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Shawne Graves »

I have read several that have been book to movie. The Twilight series for example, I feel the books were better, but the two were different. I started the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris (True Blood TV series) on my old device (Nook) but it was stolen. The books were absolutely different but since I did not get far before device was stolen, I can't say which I prefer. I will need to download the books again to finish reading.
monah08
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by monah08 »

I'd like to recommend two movies that have left a lasting impression on me. Firstly, "The Darkest Minds" offers a captivating storyline that, surprisingly, I found even more engaging than the original books. Despite being somewhat lesser-known, it's a hidden gem worth discovering. Also, "The Hate U Give" deserves special recognition for its ability to allow the viewer to empathize so deeply with the experiences of the characters. This film not only offers a beautifully executed cinematic experience but also delivers a powerful message about social justice. I personally enjoyed the book and movie equally.
Heidi M Simone
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Cathy Burgin wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:14 The one I am most familiar with is the Harry Potter series. I love the books and the movies. I think each is good in its own. While they are not identical, there was enough overlap to appreciate the movies after having read the books.
In agree with this 100%! I will always have a special place in my heart for the Harry Potter books (the series is the reason I love reading), but I do feel the movies were well done. I have re-read the series multiple times and have watched the movies multiple times. :D
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Shawne Graves wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 21:24 I have read several that have been book to movie. The Twilight series for example, I feel the books were better, but the two were different. I started the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris (True Blood TV series) on my old device (Nook) but it was stolen. The books were absolutely different but since I did not get far before device was stolen, I can't say which I prefer. I will need to download the books again to finish reading.
I remember enjoying the Twilight books better, too. Ahh, I used to really enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse book series (I picked it up again a few years ago and couldn’t get into them). The show was interesting. It held my interest for a bit, but then I also lost interest in that. :lol:

So sorry to hear about your device. I wish you the best of luck in getting another one!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

monah08 wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 04:16 I'd like to recommend two movies that have left a lasting impression on me. Firstly, "The Darkest Minds" offers a captivating storyline that, surprisingly, I found even more engaging than the original books. Despite being somewhat lesser-known, it's a hidden gem worth discovering. Also, "The Hate U Give" deserves special recognition for its ability to allow the viewer to empathize so deeply with the experiences of the characters. This film not only offers a beautifully executed cinematic experience but also delivers a powerful message about social justice. I personally enjoyed the book and movie equally.
I don’t think I’ve heard of “The Darkest Mind”, but definitely have heard of “The Hate You Give”! I loved the book and the movie equally too. :)

Return to “August 2023 Genre Discussion”