Do you judge a book by its cover?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Do you judge a book by its cover?

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Yes, I usually judge a book by its cover. This is especially the case somewhere like a library, I tend to go for the colourful covers. However, I have found wonderful books by reading the description instead. It really depends but I think the cover does matter and it helps if it matches the target audience.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

The first thing that attracts a readers is definitely a cover. And yes, I bought some questionable books because I liked the cover. When it comes to Nimue, I think the cover reflected the book very well. It conveyed the somber and historical tone of the book very well and it looks very rich.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Gromes in "A Top Hat Day" by Zed

Post by Anu Anand »

You know, that saying about not judging a book by its cover is pretty wise, but I have to admit that the cover does matter to me when it comes to buying a book. It's like the first impression of what's inside. If it's a fantasy book, for example, the cover should have a touch of magic or something related to the story. So, yeah, the cover matters because it can set the mood and expectations for the book.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Saima Rahman »

I think the book's cover is an important selling point. A good, captivating cover will definitely make a better impression. And this book does have a wonderful cover. Loved it and the book!
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Olga Markova »

I usually feel attracted by book covers first, and I like this book's cover and the book itself. I think the cover reflects the book's story and genre - it suggests a mystery with an enigmatic shiny magical symbol without superimposing the author's vision of Nina's (a.k.a. Mage's) image on the readers.
Abi_rami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-rami.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Abi_rami »

Yes I do that majority of the times. Some of the book covers are visually pleasing that I tend to buy it without knowing much about it. Usually, I don't gravitate towards other covers unless the title intrigues me. Then, I will check the blurb and buy it.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann
fav_author_id: 2379
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Salah bourouba »

I would be guilty in that matter especially with modern romantic novels, if the cover is not appealing, it makes me feel that the book won't be interesting to reading it kinda takes away from the value of the book, however most of the other genras i just read the synosis especially with self help books
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I have to say am guilty of judging a book by its cover and especially the title. Even before I try to find out what a book is about, the cover will be the first thing to catch my attention.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

That is such an interesting question. I don’t think that I do, but I think the cover art and title are extremely important. It can draw a potential reader in or make them avoid the book altogether.
Terrine Wild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Terrine Wild »

I absolutely do not judge a book by its cover. However, it helps when the book has a beautiful cover. It draw readers to read it and makes them happy.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

How you present yourself is very important. Most of our decisions are based on first impressions. If there is room for improvement in the way something is presented this can affect its perception. In this case, even if the basic material is very good, such as a book, a small presentation will inhibit interest unless its results are confirmed by experts. In my opinion, the design team could have done even better. In real world, people tend to judge books by their appearance.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Marina Flisvou »

No, I don't judge a book by its cover, and it's a good practice not to do so. The cover is just a visual representation, often designed to attract readers. The true worth of a book lies in its content, the story it tells, and the ideas it conveys, which can't be determined by its cover.
Marina
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Storm Front Over Atlantis by E.W. Roberts

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

A lot of times yes. The cover grabs my attention and then I go and read the description. If I like the description, I will still read it, even with a bad cover.
Witch Cavil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witch-cavil.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Witch Cavil »

Nope, I do not judge a book by its cover. It is a very wrong thing to do. Most writers don't put effort in making the cover.
_ale_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Currently Reading: Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ale.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by _ale_ »

That's a nice question.
I try to picture myself into a library, in a book store searching for books, and I think I have the following options.
1. I know the writer and I liked her/his/their other books, so I just purchase it. Sometimes I just purchase the book without reading what the story is about, withou paying great attention to the cover.
2. I saw somewhere or one of my friends suggested a book and I already asked about that, or I already searched information about it. So, I just purchase it.
3. I am watching different books and my attention is attracted by a cute cover or by an interesting title. I go read what the book is about and decide if to purchase or not.

Lately, I have noticed that there are a lot of book with the same cover style, this aspect does not catch my attention at all, I know the book, but I found it not interesting, and I go search something else, more... original, I would say.

As for the "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" cover, it does not really meet my taste.
I appreciate that the design on it is a handmade design (not digital), very medieval style, and also I found that the subject of the design it's appropriate with the story.
“But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”