Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sian Versweyveld
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Icon Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

I just finished reading this and thought it was a good story and well written. I enjoyed all characters, especially the strong women figures. Anything mythical and arthurian is pretty interesting overall. I also liked the Celtic ties to the story as well. It was definitely an enjoyable book to read. 4 out of 4 :)
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
Kaila Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaila-powell.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Kaila Powell »

At first I was not entirely sure if I would enjoy this book. It was a literal form of judging a book by its cover scenario but I am glad I gave it a chance. The way the author molds it into this interesting fusion of a modern romanticized view of mythology with the beginning characters then breathes life into the folklore with the main character being thrusted back in time and into their past life as a deity. There were moments I will say dragged on just due to the information dumped onto the reader. I rated it a 3 out of 4.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

While still a fan of Arthurian stories, I rated the book 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the story and characters, but I wished the plot had a better flow and interconnectivity. I felt that some elements could've been better integrated, as well as some missing aspects that could've brought the book to a whole new level.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Kaila Powell wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 11:01 At first I was not entirely sure if I would enjoy this book. It was a literal form of judging a book by its cover scenario but I am glad I gave it a chance. The way the author molds it into this interesting fusion of a modern romanticized view of mythology with the beginning characters then breathes life into the folklore with the main character being thrusted back in time and into their past life as a deity. There were moments I will say dragged on just due to the information dumped onto the reader. I rated it a 3 out of 4.
I agreed. I think where the story dragged was Nina transforming into Nimue in meeting the priestesses. It was confusing about their significance and their relation to the quests.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anu Anand »

I absolutely loved "NIMUE: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan and gave it a 5 out of 5 rating. What I found most enchanting about the book was its remarkable fusion of the modern and the mystical, alongside its compelling character development that allowed me to form deep connections with the protagonists. The way the author describes things made it seem like a movie in my head. Toward the end, it felt like only Nina was super important, and I wanted to know more about what happened to Evienne and Myrdinn. Even Morgan, who I wasn't sure about at first, turned out to be a great character by the end. This book is like a blend of fantasy, myths, and today's world, all rolled into one awesome story. The cover and the title made me curious right from the start, and the font added a bit of mystery to it. Without a doubt, I recommend this book to fellow mystery and fantasy enthusiasts.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Gladis Ratish Kumar wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 00:18 Ayn Cates Sullivan's "Nimue" is a spellbinding novel that breathes new life into the timeless legend of the Lady of the Lake. Through its mesmerizing prose, intricate character arcs, and a profound exploration of enduring themes, this book becomes essential reading for those who find enchantment in tales of magic, mythology, and the indomitable strength of the human soul.

The author's extraordinary dedication and creative ingenuity are truly awe-inspiring. I found immense pleasure in reading the book, and my only minor quibble lies in a handful of typographical errors. The book's cover art beautifully encapsulates its essence, featuring four grails, and the title is fitting as it centers around the pivotal character, Nimue.

One profound takeaway from the book is the recognition that sacrifices are an inevitable facet of life. To pursue one's aspirations or calling, one must be prepared to make sacrifices. I recommend this book to an adult audience due to its mature content, which may not be suitable for children.
your opinion of the book is very realistic and sounds true to the book, no book is perfect and i need to know the good and the bad of it before i start reading to prepare myself mentally. however you did make it interesting to read and explore how the world was in ancient times, filled magic and mythology, I do resonate that there needs to be sacrefices in order to accomplish your quest and reach where you want to go, for you can't have it all, it's realisticaly and factly not possible.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Maybe it's my nerdiness but I really liked learning about the history and origins of Nimue and how she was connected to other legendary characters. It really brought me back to when I first heard about Arthurian legends.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

I personally love its enchanting setting and my love for ancient mythology and romance. The comments and interesting details further increased my desire to delve deeper into the story. The story, the mystery and the promise of romance personally intrigue me and that makes me happy. I'm definitely in for a fun read and hope to see more of this fascinating story in my future review. Good reading!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I am bored with this book!!! I usually like mythological fiction, but this book is slow. By the time I finish reading it, no one will be interested anymore.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Voices of the Basque Signet by GalaGabirondo

Post by Marina Flisvou »

"NIMUE: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan is a fresh take on the King Arthur stories, focusing on strong female characters. The book jumps from the story of a modern girl, Nina, to her past life as the sorceress Nimue. This switch can be surprising, but the magical tale is well-told. Sullivan really shows her love for mystical stories, making the old times feel magical and real. Even with a few story hiccups, readers will enjoy this mix of history, magic, and girl power.
Marina
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I honestly was a little disappointed at the end. I liked the concept of Merlin and the backstory of Nimue. But I just thought there would have been more adventure from Nina's character. I felt it started going in one direction but then turned and focused on a different one.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners by Malcolm Oppenheimer

Post by Hy Be »

I enjoyed reading this book. It has vast plot of Celtic root themes . At first while looking at book cover, I thought it would be some sci-fi genre.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Voices of the Basque Signet by GalaGabirondo

Post by Marina Flisvou »

"NIMUE: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan is a new version of the King Arthur story with strong female characters. It switches between a modern girl named Nina and her past life, a sorceress. Although it has a few small issues, Sullivan's love for mystical stories makes it feel magical and enjoyable. It mixes history, magic, and girl power, which is fun to read.
Marina
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it has everything I love. It has myths, romance, history and memorable characters. I also loved the author's writing style. I will definitely recommend this to lovers of the genre.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Dennis Kiage »

I'm almost done reading the book. So far, I can say it's pretty good. The plot is good and the book is enjoyable. There are only a few things I don't like that I'll discuss in my review, it's definitely 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”