Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Mary O Dougherty
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

I'm glad so many others got great enjoyment out of it, but I was very surprised to see multiple grammatical and spelling errors in the first 100 pages. After I read the first few chapters, I had to go looking for other reviews on OBC to see how others felt about it - and kept seeing "exceptionally well-edited"! The last few chapters, deep in the mythology, are much better than the teenage Nina Part 1 - which is a shame, because I'm sure there are others who put the book down after a few pages or chapters.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Kathy Smith 16 wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 08:18 I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped. There were aspects of it that I really enjoyed but overall, it did not resonate with me as it seemed to with others. The descriptions and world building were beautiful, but sometimes felt lengthy. I had the opposite experience of Rushil; there were stretches where the plot felt like it wasn't moving forward, and I became bored and needed a break.
I think I agree with you Kathy, that sometimes the plot didn't seem to move forward, particularly in the Nimue section. However, I did still enjoy the book overall. As you said the world building was beautiful. I enjoyed the connection to earth and the elements and spirits.

The one thing I really found drawn out though was the content of Parts IV and V after the story had ended. I normally enjoy a bit of background information and glossary, but I found they really dragged on.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

I found the book intriguing at first, but when it progressed my anticipation was a bit letdown. I didn't feel the writing as much as I thought I would. I appreciate the tone. It brought a different flavour that layered everything with kindness. The descriptions were the standout . I would give it three out of five. I would not recommend it vehemently. But I still would.
Chioma Oz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Post by Chioma Oz »

I recently perused the book's summary and official review, and they piqued my interest. The book seems to encompass legends, mystery, and romance - all of which happen to be my favorite genres. I'm looking forward to sharing my review in the near future.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

The official review attracted me to the book. I would love to read the book because of its connection to mythology.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the book, especially the second act. But I've reduced a star because I found the act one to be slow and at times cliché, like the first chapter, it begins with a dream that was threadbare with overuse.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

I recently purchased the book, I will come back to give my overall rating, what I like and dislike, positive aspects, and negative aspects.
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

I loved "Nimue: Freeing Merlin." It brilliantly combines ancient myths with modern storytelling, making it a unique and captivating read. The writing is vivid, and the book falls under the fantasy and mythology genres, with a touch of romance. The cover and title are visually appealing. The greatest lesson is the value of embracing our heritage. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys mythology and fantasy, and I've rated it accordingly on the Bookshelf.
MehulPan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehulpan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by MehulPan »

I haven't read the book yet. But, seeing all the reviews and opinions, I'm hoping it's a good read and I can't wait to read it.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I know London was a place filled with many art museums. However, I didn't know they had connections to the Celtic Druids. I thought the Scotts and the Irish had such a connection but never London. Nimue has taught me something new. I so enjoyed the author's master of Art and History. I can't wait to finish Nina's adventure, so to say, as Nimue.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I 'read' the audio version of this book, and I was completely enchanted from the beginning to the end. The London setting felt highly relatable at the start, and then the perilous dive into the Celtic myths made me wow. All stars from me for this magical fairy tale! The cover is awesome too. The main lesson I learned from this book is that there may be parallel worlds and reincarnations! :) I will highly recommend this book to all my friends who like top-quality fantasy.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

Mary O Dougherty wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 16:35 I'm glad so many others got great enjoyment out of it, but I was very surprised to see multiple grammatical and spelling errors in the first 100 pages. After I read the first few chapters, I had to go looking for other reviews on OBC to see how others felt about it - and kept seeing "exceptionally well-edited"! The last few chapters, deep in the mythology, are much better than the teenage Nina Part 1 - which is a shame, because I'm sure there are others who put the book down after a few pages or chapters.
Mary, I listened to the audiobook of Nimue, so I was spared any eye-soring typos, and I absolutely loved this enchanting story! And, actually, I wanted more of the teenage Nina's story and her life in London, maybe because of the relatable setting. I loved the symbolism of the lilac roses too. But I agree that the mythology part was great.
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

Overall, the book seems to appeal to readers who are interested in wise, intelligent, and imaginative literature, as well as in Celtic mythology and Arthurian legend. The book might not be suitable for readers who prefer action-packed, fast-paced, or realistic stories, or who are not fond of romance or spirituality. The book is a creative and original interpretation of the Nimue-Merlin relationship, and a thought-provoking exploration of the human potential and the natural world.
Mary O Dougherty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

Olga Markova wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 11:11 Mary, I listened to the audiobook of Nimue, so I was spared any eye-soring typos, and I absolutely loved this enchanting story!
I think an audiobook would have been fun to listen along to - it's possible that it would have helped with some of the awkward-reading parts, as well. The later parts of the book are definitely enchanting - and since it's part of a series, that always plays in as well. Thanks for your response!!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I read this book two years ago and I can still relish the moments I had. I remember how I enjoy the journey back in time when Nina transformed to Nimue. I also like the uniqueness of the story, as only a few known aspects of the Merlin mythology was used in this book.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”