Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the September 2023 Book of the Month, "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Mehul P
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

I recently purchased the book. I can't wait to read the book. It already sounds and looks so interesting.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I'd like to read the book just because of the way it sounds and appears.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

I gave it 4 out of 4 stars in my bookshelf. I liked how it reimagined Arthurian myths mixing them with ancient religion to create a story between the past and the present about how there used to be harmony with nature. I'm not sure about the romance but that's not my thing, so other readers will give a better judgment of this element for sure. I recomment it to people who like fantasy, especially connected to ancient religions and the Arthurian myths. Christians might not like it, as Christianity is seen in a negative way, as responsible for breaking the humans' bond with nature.
Ciao :)
Massimo
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Post by RJ Reviews »

The official review and the blurb sound interesting and I would live to read this book. Ancient myths and romance always attract me and this book combines both!
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tour of Duty
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Rupali Mishra wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 10:16 I'd like to read the book just because of the way it sounds and appears.
and
The blurb and the official review both sound intriguing. Readers are often drawn to books with romance and ancient tales, and this one has both!
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

I read the blurb and official review the other day, and they are very interesting. This book contains legends, mystery, and romance; that was all I could figure out from the review, and all of these happen to be my favorites. I will be reviewing it soon.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I am only in the third chapter, and I love the book. I like Arthurian legends, so this one caught my eye. I hope all of the book is as good as the first three chapters.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I just finished the first part, I love everything about this book so far. The world building is really strong and the characters are well-developed and relatable. Ayn Cates Sullivan's writing is really easy to understand and I like her descriptions.
Now diving into part two as Nina starts her quest. I can't wait to discover more!!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Danna Vergara
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Danna Vergara »

I don't like romance but this one has a good story.
Isha Suthar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isha-suthar.html
Latest Review: Bright Expanse by Daniel Zeigler

Post by Isha Suthar »

I've recently bought the a copy of the book. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm really looking forward to reading this book. A lot of people have suggested me.
Isha Suthar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isha-suthar.html
Latest Review: Bright Expanse by Daniel Zeigler

Post by Isha Suthar »

Also, could you please suggest me new books to read. I'm in first year and there's nothing around me that's interesting.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Molly's Milestone by Marlys Beider

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

Ayn Cates Sullivan's "Nimue" is a spellbinding novel that breathes new life into the timeless legend of the Lady of the Lake. Through its mesmerizing prose, intricate character arcs, and a profound exploration of enduring themes, this book becomes essential reading for those who find enchantment in tales of magic, mythology, and the indomitable strength of the human soul.

The author's extraordinary dedication and creative ingenuity are truly awe-inspiring. I found immense pleasure in reading the book, and my only minor quibble lies in a handful of typographical errors. The book's cover art beautifully encapsulates its essence, featuring four grails, and the title is fitting as it centers around the pivotal character, Nimue.

One profound takeaway from the book is the recognition that sacrifices are an inevitable facet of life. To pursue one's aspirations or calling, one must be prepared to make sacrifices. I recommend this book to an adult audience due to its mature content, which may not be suitable for children.
Rushil Varshney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rushil-varshney.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by Rushil Varshney »

The book has an intriguing and complete story, the writing style fits the theme of ancient writings. All in all an above average experience. In fact, in a lot of places I was engrossed in the book and the emotions of the character, that I did not realise the passage of time around me
Kathy Smith 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy-smith-16.html
Latest Review: FLAIL (Published on Amazon) by Peter Anthony Fitzgerald

Post by Kathy Smith 16 »

I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped. There were aspects of it that I really enjoyed but overall, it did not resonate with me as it seemed to with others. The descriptions and world building were beautiful, but sometimes felt lengthy. I had the opposite experience of Rushil; there were stretches where the plot felt like it wasn't moving forward, and I became bored and needed a break.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”