Do you judge a book by its cover?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 100%

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Post by RJ Reviews »

There is an old saying that cautions against judging a book by its cover. But when it actually comes to the question of buying a book, how much does the cover matter to you all? If you take Nimue: Freeing Merlin for example, do you think the cover reflects the genre and theme of the book?
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Yes, I'm sorry to say that I do. If I am just searching for a book to read and not anything in particular, then I do search by the cover. I see if anything strikes me as interesting, and then I read the book's synopsis. If someone has advised me to read a book because it is a great book, then no, I will just ignore the cover and go right to the synopsis. Nimue: Freeing Merlin was a cover that I did not particularly like, but that is just my preference.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Nimue has a cover that's really sober and dark, so I wouldn't say that it matches its contents, which bring the reader through quite a journey.

In general, there are covers that catch my eye but I'm not discouraged if they're poor.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Out of the Uniform, back into civilian life
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I wouldn't say that Nimue's cover suits its contents, which take the reader on a long journey yet are very somber and depressing.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I would say that I try not to with books. I do judge movies somewhat similarly, though. If they are based on a book that I've read, I avoid them. I know they'll be awful.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I rarely do. Covers express the view of someone other than the author of the book, so it is just another opinion, which can be good or bad for the book itself. I prefer to read the blurbs or reviews. in the case of Nimue, I wouldn't have bought the book based on the cover.
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

I do judge a book by its cover, and I'm not even ashamed about it. I think when it comes to promoting a book, a film, or anything for that matter, packaging is very important, and for books, it's their cover that the audience or readers see first, so if that is striking and impressive, then the readers will be more inclined towards picking it up and reading the blurb, and then the rest is history. So yeah, I think the covers play an integral part in attracting readers, and I'm more attracted to books with striking covers than those with somber and dull covers. With all that said, this is just my opinion, and I acknowledge that different people have different opinions regarding this.

I think it expresses the genre and theme of the book to some extent. The emblem conveys that it deals with something historical or ancient, and the black background suggests that it is mysterious and eerie. So it does the job for now.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I am guilty of cover buying. There are times I have skipped over a book because the cover looked boring. I need to be farther into the book to say if the cover truly fits it. I hope it does. I like the cover.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I often judge a book by its cover, yes.

I love beautiful books, and I often buy books that normally would not have much interest to me just because they have a pretty cover. I find it great, because it gets me out of my comfort zone and broadens my reading horizons!
On the contrary, there are some covers I hate, for example when there are real people from a film adaptation. In these cases I tend to postpone my purchase until I find an edition with a more neutral cover.

I don't know yet if Nimue's cover matches its story and themes, I'm only about 10% in. However, I can say I love it! This kind of mystic cover would definitely catch my eye on a bookstore!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Yes, I do. The cover is the first thing that draws me to a book, and then I check the synopsis to see if I would like it. The title is another crucial aspect in picking a book for me, as it usually indicates the author's writing skills. I believe Nimue's cover matches perfectly with the book. The Celtic drawing seems mysterious and holds dark secrets.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Evergreen by Sharon Elliott

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Covers are the first thing readers see, and because of it, I think we involuntarily judge. Most books fail with their covers, as they do not suit the story, like Nimue, and I think this is a gigantic problem with the editors, publishers, and marketing team because covers can attack or disappoint readers.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Bertha Jackson »

A book's cover usually grabs my attention first, but I do not base my decisions on the cover. Reading the descriptions and a few pages of the sample usually, tell me if I will enjoy a book or not.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

This is an interesting topic. A book's cover is always the first thing to grab my attention, so yes, unfortunately, I do judge most books by their covers. Unless I've been recommended a book by a friend, I normally will not read it, pick it up to check it out, or click on it online if I do not like the cover.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

Oh, I should also mention that I love the cover of this book. It is very appealing, and I also really like the title. Anything fantasy always grabs my attention.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: painkiller brainkiller by James m powers II

Post by Seetha E »

Although the book's title, writing style, and cover art do tempt me to choose it, I still read the description before deciding whether or not to take it up. If the description of the book meets all of my criteria, I will still choose it despite the unattractive cover, but not the other way around.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”